Accidental Malick - BMPCC original "OG" + Laowa 7.5mm t2.1

แชร์
ฝัง

ความคิดเห็น • 48

• @deyomash
    @deyomash 3 ปีที่แล้ว +19

a minute of silence for all the girlfriends that have to just model for us and never let us down

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  3 ปีที่แล้ว +5

haha, actually she's just a friend (my wife's friend, actually, lol) - but you're right!

• @bedenegative6450
      @bedenegative6450 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Such a great comment lol.

• @SCtester
    @SCtester 3 ปีที่แล้ว +5

The color grading is phenomenal!

• @rajendrabiswas
    @rajendrabiswas 11 หลายเดือนก่อน

this camera is so beautiful ..

• @OlleElias
    @OlleElias 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Fell back in love with the OG, thank you!

• @bernabeueagle1726
    @bernabeueagle1726 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

What a beautiful imagery and what a beautiful place !!!

• @anything4030
    @anything4030 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This colour grading is unreal. Well done! Instant subscribe

• @p.h4837
    @p.h4837 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Incredible! Really reminds me of Malick

• @DanielKuberek
    @DanielKuberek 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

This is really really nice man. More, please!

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  3 ปีที่แล้ว

Appreciate that, thanks! Working on it.

• @NazeerThomasFilm
    @NazeerThomasFilm 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Nothing less than Beautiful. Feels just like his work.

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Wow, cheers! Really appreciate it!

• @NazeerThomasFilm
      @NazeerThomasFilm 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hate these sorts of questions but I was curious too as to your grading process for this. I don't believe there's any way to get Gen 5 color science on this version of the pocket UNLESS you do it in post once you shoot raw but I just don't know if that conversion would be available. I personally use Emotive Color's "P4KALEX" lut as my base on my 4k which essentially give you a Arri rec709 look as a starting point - your footage with the grade looks so wonderful & It looks just like how I would grade it, I find it hard to believe you stuck with the gen 1 color science!

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@NazeerThomasFilm for this one it's pretty simple - I did colour space transform from Film Gen1 to Arri Alexa colour space (seems to hold onto highlights in a pleasant way for me), then used color boost/gamma/gain to get the approximate look I wanted, then the "custom" curve to fine-tune.

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  3 ปีที่แล้ว

So you're right, I guess! Not really sticking with gen 1 science and I like the Arri rec709 look a lot too

• @NazeerThomasFilm
      @NazeerThomasFilm 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@althenimble hahaa I thought so! Thanks a lot, I was burning to know how you pulled this off, there's a lot of horribly graded vidoes online with the pocket, I figured it had to be as simple as you using the Arri Color Space & then grading from there, it's awesome that we both share the same eye! Eager to see more posts from you in the future

• @vistvo
    @vistvo 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Very good shot 👌🏻 ☀️

• @jeremym1288
    @jeremym1288 2 ปีที่แล้ว

color grading is on point here. and telling the subject to touch the flowers is classic malick loll

• @arunr4103
    @arunr4103 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Beautiful combo right lens on right camera which reminds Steven Spielberg's focal length 21mm

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Yeah, that wide look sometimes works really well. Best with natural light and slim actors! I've found also works well at hip height and 2:35 because you get less intense distortion on faces (when you're really close up your not on the face)

• @althenimble

This lens would be the equivalent of 15mm on a super-35 sensor

• @arunr4103
      @arunr4103 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@althenimble Spielberg uses lens distortion artistically which we can see on his most films so distrotion is not a negative vibe on motion picture if use it correctly 😀

• @althenimble

@@arunr4103 For sure, I've found you just have to be aware of what challenges it poses. And of course Malick goes wider than almost anyone else in the industry. In A Hidden Life they even used some 8mm I think!

• @cineonfilms9219
    @cineonfilms9219 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The angle aperture of this lens doesn't seem to be that wide, it looks like the Sigma 18-35mm (vitrox adapter - bmpcc 4k). I shoot a lot of apartments, houses, I need a lens wide, could anyone help me?

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  ปีที่แล้ว +1

Viltrox turns MFT into approx S35, so that Sigma is like 18mm on S35 as its widest... This is the equivalent of ~15mm on S35. Laowa recently released a 6mm cine, equivalent of 12mm on S35 - very wide! That's as wide as you'll get on the OG BMPCC without going fisheye.

• @cineonfilms9219
      @cineonfilms9219 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@althenimble This was the answer I was looking for, thank you so much brother!

• @GlennUpgraded
    @GlennUpgraded 2 ปีที่แล้ว

What's your tips for exposing? Do you ETTR or do you just keep the histogram right in the middle?

• @althenimble

I turned my basic grade into a LUT, then do false colour on my monitor. Look depending, I’ll be going for the standard 70 IRE on the talent. I find for me personally, ETTR makes me too afraid of clipping and I often end up underexposing. Some clipping in the right places is fine as long as the highlights are rolled off nicely, IMO

• @GlennUpgraded

@@althenimble thanks for you answer! But what adjustments are usually included in your basic grade? I want to try it also.

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@GlennUpgraded just do a grade on a clip that’s well-exposed and broadly representative - ie. mid shot of talent in a high contrast scene. I just do the Arri conversion with a couple of tweaks as mentioned elsewhere in the comments as my starting point. This base LUT shouldn’t “bake in” any exposure compensation to look good (both subjectively and in the scopes) - if it does, you’re using the wrong example clip. For this purpose, i go for a very neutral look, like manufactures aim to when making theirs. Then of course you need a monitor that can load LUTs and do false colour, but that includes many inexpensive options nowadays.

• @althenimble

Most importantgrade adjustment for exposure purposes is your contrast curve. You can do that manually or have it as part of a color space conversion and/or an existing LUT

• @trizya3040
    @trizya3040 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

what was your grade process? cause i love this look.

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Basically it was convert colour space and gamma into arri, then use the arri Rec709 LUT, then manually tweak the "custom" curve. In my opinion, this camera is really sensitive to correct exposure, i.e dynamic range is good but latitude is not so good (I could be wrong). So the key is really nailing the correct exposure, then the grade is relatively easy

• @trizya3040
      @trizya3040 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@althenimble the camera is sensitive 😂 you not wrong about that

• @NoobRap
    @NoobRap 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

We need a tutorial of your color grading process!!

• @althenimble

I'll have a go! Might get some free time next month

• @GlennUpgraded

@@althenimble yes please! I will also wait for the tutorial. 😁

• @rachelkarengreen99
    @rachelkarengreen99 2 ปีที่แล้ว

This would be a telephoto lens to Terrence Malick.

• @althenimble

Haha, depends one which film you’re referencing. This the equivalent of around ~15-16mm on super 35. TOL is mostly 15-18mm. TTW mostly ~15mm. KOC and STS 12mm-15mm. Then AHL mostly 12mm and occasionally as wide as 8mm. So compared to AHL, you’re right ;)

• @rachelkarengreen99
      @rachelkarengreen99 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@althenimble He sure does love his stretched out foreheads xD I just saw a Hidden Life, wonderful movie. Also forgot to say that your image here is beautiful.

• @sloMotion1937
    @sloMotion1937 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

кайф

• @althenimble

Благодарность!

• @tropicalsquash6329
    @tropicalsquash6329 9 วันที่ผ่านมา

Is it manual lense?

• @althenimble
      @althenimble  9 วันที่ผ่านมา

yes, was just pulling focus on the lens itself no follow focus lol

• @uajf3103
    @uajf3103 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Yo te recomendaría subirlo a tiktok para que puedas darte a conocer y sacarle provecho a tu trabajo, aquí en youtube no será muy promocionado por el extraño algoritmo que es capaz de recomendar basura y no este tipo de videos artísticos.

• @althenimble

Thanks for the suggestion! I've never used TikTok, but I may investigate!