Sim Racing Like It's 1996! | Rebuilding a Thrustmaster T2

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 2 ส.ค. 2021
  • Sim Racing in the 90s was, well, a little different. This Thrustmaster T2 wheel, sans force feedback* was my entry point to the hobby back in 1996, and in today's video, I track down and restore one of those wheels to it's former glory, as my contribution to the retro gaming cannon.
    As far as sim racing wheels go, the Thrustmaster T2 was actually ahead of it's time. Long before Force feedback, they implemented a crude, but well, crude wheel self centring system ,which was uncommon on racing sim gear at the time.
    Tracking down and rebuilding a Thrustmaster T2 has been a bucket list item for me for a long time, not least of all because of how much time I spend watching retro gaming content on youtube. But, as much of a nostalgia trip it has been to recreate this classic sim racing wheel, I think I'll probably stick with it's modern force feedback equipped descendants!
    ===== S U P P O R T ======
    If you would like to support the channel, please consider using one of the affiliate links below & I will earn a small commission off of any sales that are made after you have used the link. Thanks for your continued support :)
    FANATEC:
    US: chrishaye.com/go/fanatec-stor...
    EU: chrishaye.com/go/fanatec-stor...
    AU: chrishaye.com/go/fanatec-stor...
    JP: chrishaye.com/go/fanatec-stor...
    RACE ANYWHERE (UK Sim Racing Store)
    For 5% off, use code: CH5
    www.raceanywhere.co.uk/CH5
    ===== S O C I A L ======
    TW:: / chris_hayesr
    IG: / chrishaye
    DIS: / discord
    WWW: chrishaye.com/
    Business Mail: chrishayesimracing AT gmail DOT com
    #ChrisHaye #SimRacing
  • เกม

ความคิดเห็น • 264

• @Yoda_NZ
    @Yoda_NZ 2 ปีที่แล้ว +90

Oh the glorious memories this brings back. Up until my bungee broke. :(
    Thanks for memory. R.I.P my old T2

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Looking at the design, I suspect the bungee was the strongest part of that mechanism!

• @teresawright4454
      @teresawright4454 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Lol I only remember this wheel cause a friend always loved playing and chatting about it went to try it out everything was broken lol.

• @GPLaps
    @GPLaps 2 ปีที่แล้ว +218

Literally the dream back in the late 90s. I sooo wanted one of these when GPL came out

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +30

I was very lucky. Dad bought it off a co-worker I think, it certainly wasn't new. They were like £200 IIRC, which was a hell of a lot of money for a peripheral at the time.

• @idk-xd8te
      @idk-xd8te 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Why hello there go laps fancy seeing you here

• @DYNANiK.official
      @DYNANiK.official 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hello GPLaps =)

• @geetuz
      @geetuz 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

completely transformed my experience of GPL once I bought mine. I couldn't believe it. Catching over steer with it was an absolute thrill haha. Actually really enjoyed I NFSSE too!

• @jcoulter43
    @jcoulter43 2 ปีที่แล้ว +18

That was my first wheel! I still had it when I had my first child and have photos of him driving with it when he was 2. He's 21 now. Good times and great memories Chris. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. GP Legends and Nascar Racing from Papyrus were all I would play for a few years. God bless and race on 😎👍

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I'd love to know what happened to our original one, though I suspect it met it's end the same way most electronics of the time did. The Papyrus Nascar game, and Indycar were staples as well. I miss the days of looking up a word in the manual as a form of copy-protection :)

• @jcoulter43
      @jcoulter43 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@ChrisHaye I'm pretty sure mine met its end at a landfill somewhere. I think I bought the Microsoft Sidewinder to replace it, kids got older, priorities changed and no forceback wheel for me until now (still played racing games, but console, with a controller only). Just getting back properly into the hobby with a wheel setup. Will be upgrading to full proper rig and pro-grade wheel/pedals once last kid is out of college. Right now, getting bye with the FGT-Lite and a Thrustmaster TMX Pro and pedals. Not ideal, but it's got my blood pumping for better gear and games to match! Keep up the great work. Love your videos!

• @mrodg88
      @mrodg88 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Same, I still have my T2 somewhere (as well as the black Momo Racing which I also still have.) Also have photos (digital from a Casio digital camera, still have it) of my now 20 yo daughter playing with the wheel. I raced with ICR2. Back then you raced "online" via uploading replay data to a website and everyone's replays were compared to determine a winner

• @michaelwren5785
    @michaelwren5785 2 ปีที่แล้ว +15

A big hit of nostalgia here! I brought one of these second hand 20 odd years ago that gave me a huge step up from the keyboard after discovering "Grand Prix Legends". I immediately grafted a couple of switches on to wheel that gave me "paddle" shifters. Lots of DIY hardware since then.
    Thanks (as always) for a great video Chris!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

We had the same experience. It always amazes me how natural using the keyboard felt at the time... naivety has it's perks!

• @vgaportauthority9932
    @vgaportauthority9932 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I had this one, swapped it for the european version of the Thrustmaster Nascar Pro wheel... It felt like the height of luxury back then in 1998 or so. The built in shifters in these old timey wheels were a great addition imo. I played so much Viper Racing on that thing!
    Thanks for the video, really brought me back in time.

• @bblocker68
    @bblocker68 2 ปีที่แล้ว +15

Got mine for Indycar Racing 2. That was the greatest Bungee Cord wheel, ever!! Sim-altering purchase, for sure.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I don't remember much about the second game.... but I do remember convincing dad that we needed the first one, since our Nige was in it!

• @MrCatalysis101
    @MrCatalysis101 2 ปีที่แล้ว +11

I seem to remember the pots drifting all the time. Things have improved, but massive nostalgia.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Likewise - the signal I was getting with the gameport adapter was pretty... lumpy! But the bodnar board did a much better job thankfully.

• @soundbelch1600
    @soundbelch1600 2 ปีที่แล้ว +22

As a confirmed guitar pedal nerd, I'm finding myself liking your soldering as much as anything in the video. Very tidy!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Guitar pedals are where I picked up my (limited) skills. I'm a sucker for DIY fuzz pedals, you can never have too many!

• @GregzVR
    @GregzVR 2 ปีที่แล้ว +49

_"Times really have changed..."_ Haha I see what you did there, I love it. TM should release a modern version of the rim at least, as a nod to this epic nostalgia. throw in a copy of Power F1 too!

• @timwelch175
      @timwelch175 2 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Id do you one better and say this would make the perfect shell for one of those emulator rigs containing all of the games that wheel was worth using on from the era, similar to the way they are making Sega and Nintendo units to do the same thing...

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

That's a genuinely brilliant idea! If I ever track down another one, I'll give that go I think. Maybe fit something like a Raspberry Pi inside and run one of the Arcade focussed OS on it.

• @ChrisHaye

I really like the rim. It's a little undersized, but it has great 80s F1 vibes about it. Would be nice to pick something like that up for the proper sim rigs, but the 'classic replicas' are all quite pricey!

• @franklinnash
    @franklinnash 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

My first wheel was the Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel & Pedal set. It was the bees knees at the time. Once I upgraded to a PC without a gameport I had a genuine sense of grief that my wheel was at the end of its life.

• @ChrisHaye

Dad was always much more into flight sims, and we had a sidewinder stick, which I remember being miles better than anything we had used before. But I remember the same sense of dissapointment when we moved over to a PC without a gameport. It took quite a few years before anything else appeared to replace it IIRC. Microsoft really did get those peripherals right!

• @carlandersson4982
    @carlandersson4982 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

My dad got a yellow wheel Logitech for his 40th birthday. Non force feed back but with paddel gears! Played alot of STCC on that in the late 90's.

• @JCDagz
    @JCDagz 2 ปีที่แล้ว +11

Yes! My first "real" wheel setup when I drove the crap out of Indycar Racing and Sportscar GT. Good times!

• @knappedennis
    @knappedennis 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

my dad told me he had an thrustmaster t1 back in the day. and how he holds an world record with it!
    and it hasnt been (officially) broken!!
    (its on gp2 (on the special hot laps))

• @ChrisHaye

Cool stuff! There are still people playing GP2 regularly, so that's much more impressive!

• @simracingwales4997
    @simracingwales4997 2 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Ho my god thrustmaster T2 what a treat :D :D not seen one in a very long time .

• @ChrisHaye

I think they're like lost cats, you need to check to see if they've wandered off into sheds and garages.

• @willw681
    @willw681 2 ปีที่แล้ว +47

I didn’t even know sim racing was a thing then! Idk why but something about that wheel is kinda cool?

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +9

I didn't know it was called Sim Racing at the time... and I had no idea there were people doing it on the internet either. It took me another 10 years before I ventured into that minefield! :D

• @coolbigandy
    @coolbigandy 2 ปีที่แล้ว +11

with that Wheel my PC Racing careerer started. Playing Michal Andretti Racing and N.I.C.E.2.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

It was GP2 and the first Papyrus Indycar game for me. I don't remember N.I.C.E at all!

• @robertmitchell87
    @robertmitchell87 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Takes me back to the days of my first wheel, a Microsoft Sidewinder Non Force Feedback wheel.

• @vt6020
    @vt6020 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Nice restoration! I had the T1 model back in the day. I played IndyCar and NASCAR by Papyrus with it. I bought it after becoming frustrated with trying to race with my Thrustmaster flight stick. Good memories!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

I could never get on with a joystick for some reason, and preferred the keyboard! Doubly so with the Papyrus Indycar game, which for some reason I had no chance with on the stick!

• @rogiemac
      @rogiemac 5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

That Nascar game was awesome back in the day. Could paint your own cars. I first experienced online racing with that game and the thrustmaster wheel.

• @danhoward5686
    @danhoward5686 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Whoa! I was watching your video on the G29 and you mentioned this bad boy which I had back in 96. Brought back memories.

• @maasmarco
    @maasmarco 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Oh my. I clearly remember buying this one. It was my first ever wheel. Loved it. Until the pedal spring broke. The spring was moved by the threading of a screw. It was designed to break sooner or later. Still fond memories.

• @debozebever
    @debozebever 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Chris... We need more Kazoo in our lives... thanks for that

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Haha - when I was browsing the sound library it immediately jumped out at me. I usually use my own music, but I didn't really have anything that fit the, err... mood!

• @markusjuenemann
    @markusjuenemann 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I have soooo many fond memories of the T2. I saved my sparse money for months to get one and I mostly used it for Grand Prix 2 and Network Q RAC Rally. This thing brought me so much joy and I'm happy you got yours running again. Well done, Chris! That you so much! And btw: This video includes the best cinematic shot of rubber bands I have ever seen in my life!

• @Nautzki
    @Nautzki 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

I loved my T2 to bits. Also I am very glad I will never ever have to use one of them again :)

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Haha - yeah, I get that!

• @PatrickMcTie
    @PatrickMcTie 2 ปีที่แล้ว +6

I was 22 at the time, and remember wanting one sooo bad! It would only be a few years later, and I saved a ton of money to buy a Thomas Super Wheel. 500 or so dollars at the time for a non force feedback wheel😅

• @ChrisHaye

I had completely forgotten about the TSW. I remember seeing photos online and thinking they would be waaay out of my price range!

• @PatrickMcTie
      @PatrickMcTie 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@ChrisHaye I actually still have the wheel and pedal set, tucked away in a plastic storage bin. I was planning on replacing the potentiometers, when the legendary Logitech Momo wheel and pedal set came out. I picked that up, and couldn't bring myself to go back to non ffb.

• @Rankupinteractive
    @Rankupinteractive ปีที่แล้ว

Hey Chris great video hopefully we can get more sim rig throwbacks from you on this channel

• @stuart9968
    @stuart9968 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Microsoft FFB wheel anybody.?...anybody..? Nice job Chris, glad you're back you were missed

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Gracias! I keep ending up going down rabbit holes and spending far too much time on these videos!

• @rogiemac
    @rogiemac 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

I had this back in the late 90's. So much fun racing Nascar on it. Thanks for the nostalgia video

• @alexharkettsimracing
    @alexharkettsimracing 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Was loving this video up until near the end where I saw you were testing in 29 degree heat 🥵🥵🥵 - it took me back to that week recently where we all nearly died of heat exposure.
    Seriously though, another great vid man!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Haha, indeed - it timestamps that recording fairly nicely I think ;)

• @wanabdulhadi1268
    @wanabdulhadi1268 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Gotta say, this was a really fun and refreshing video.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks dude!

• @mikedolley937
    @mikedolley937 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

All hail the bungie! since I only played the Papyrus NASCAR games at the time mine ended up with a bulit in bias for left turns.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Haha - I can believe that. I don't think mine has the original bungee, looks too clean... and it's still surprisingly snappy feeling (within limits!)

• @Ali-fl5mb
    @Ali-fl5mb 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Fairly new to sim racing and your channel and I have to say your videos are great! Love your presence on camera and your use of language is really professional and clearly articulated. Well done!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks Ali - I spend quite a lot of time trying to plan out and structure things to be as concise and clear as possible. So it's always nice when people recognise the effort :)

• @jrwstevenson
    @jrwstevenson 2 ปีที่แล้ว +34

Fancy taking this to the next level Chris? Swap the internals out for something like a T150 or T300 for the full restomod experience? I'd love to see it!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว +20

I am really tempted to do some kind of sleeper build. A small direct drive setup might be simpler, but that really starts to get into "is this really worth it" territory!

• @aubreymarsh2309
      @aubreymarsh2309 2 ปีที่แล้ว +8

@@ChrisHaye We want it

• @sirflaps7619
      @sirflaps7619 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@ChrisHaye please do this and make it a mini series

• @Tony-Tech
    @Tony-Tech 2 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Loved the video.
    I just purchased a new/old stock Logitech Momo wheel for my windows XP retro PC build. And I found a copy of Toca Race Driver 3. It's great fun to relive a 20 year old sim racing experience on all the old hardware. I am thinking about adding Grand Prix Legends to the PC as well. That was a favorite of mine back then also.
    If I do a Windows 3.1 retro PC, maybe I'll run NASCAR Racing on it from 1994. Or Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I spent a lot of time on those games in the 90's.

• @ChrisHaye

I must admit, I've always had a soft spot for the Momo - if I ever get the urge again, I may try and do the same!

• @mrodg88
      @mrodg88 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye I can still remember the feel of the 270°Momo Racing and actually haven't been into sim racing since then until last year when I got a game PC for MSFS. Trying to use my G920 which I had for ATS, using it for racing is terrible. From what I remember of the Momo, it was far more precise in the FF feel than this gear driven G920 garbage

• @BadDanMe
    @BadDanMe 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Cool, was my starter wheel too.
    Then:
    Microsoft Sidewinder FFB Wheel
    Logitech Driving Force Pro
    Logitech G25
    later modded with an SRW S1 bolted to the G25 base
    Thrustmaster T500RS F1 Edition
    actual Thrustmaster TS XW Racer Sparco Edition (but still using the F1 Rim, cause the buttons on the Sparco sadly are totally rubbish).
    Really liked this throw back in history. 😎😁
    Fun fact, I bought this Formula T2 because of the DEMO of Viper Racing.

• @Weaseltube
    @Weaseltube 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I still have my old TM GP1, the one with paddles behind the wheel instead of foot pedals. This video confirmed for me what I should have known a long time ago - I need to throw it out.

• @evodesignsracing5925
      @evodesignsracing5925 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

send it to him

• @AndreMiguelLopes69
      @AndreMiguelLopes69 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I already put mine on the bin a few years ago. That rs232 has no use today. Only on a retro PC with win98 and so on.

• @GoneWalkabout
      @GoneWalkabout 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Lol, still have mine, with the box no less. Still have my old TSW and Logitech Momo too. Can’t seem to throw them out…

• @AndreMiguelLopes69
      @AndreMiguelLopes69 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Still got my G25, that i'm going to sell to friend and a T300 as a spare. Using a DD1 at the moment. A live time of simracing :)

• @CSOCSO
    @CSOCSO 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

WHAT? TM was making wheels back then??? crazy. We had a microsoft sidewinder with force feedback. It as awesome. I was playing Viper Racing and Toca

• @fitchyyboi
      @fitchyyboi 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Still have mine!

• @pavelstoikov3780
    @pavelstoikov3780 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

this was like movie for me and ur voice i so relax , new sub hare from bulgaria keep the good work chears 👌

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks man! I have been known to send people to sleep! :D

• @lyypsie5663
    @lyypsie5663 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

me and my father restored a old Medion Racing wheel that we got for free from ebay, we cracked open a xbox controller and by Frankensteining the two together we got the wheel up and running, we also thought about buying the same adapter (not doing so seamed to be the right choice) we got done with that a week ago and im laughing my ass of that your doing something so simmilar only days after we got done! (sorry for my bad english its not my native language)

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Great to hear. I remember Medion, though I don't remember the wheel? I do recall them sponsoring the Spyker and later Force India F1 teams though, so I imagine there was some sort of marketing payoff from F1 at the time!

• @DYNANiK.official
    @DYNANiK.official 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

This video is a masterpiece! Extremely interesting and very pleasant to watch!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks man, much appreciated!

• @Frankestein01nl
    @Frankestein01nl 2 ปีที่แล้ว

And there was me, with a very small pc joystick, with 2 buttons, Racing GP1,2, indianapolis 500 and lastly flying FS3 eh 4 and 5? in the late 80's early 90's... And you had a wheel! hahahaha Awsome review, well done Chris! Dont think we called it simracing yet back then...just racegames.. and an arcade was the place on the fairgrounds where one would play " on the arcade!"

• @yourbraziliansimracer817
    @yourbraziliansimracer817 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Beautiful video. Thanks, Chris! 🏁🇧🇷

• @elbowsout6301
    @elbowsout6301 2 ปีที่แล้ว

My first was the Logitech Momo Force... the red one with the leather rim. I rebought one off ebay a few years ago for the nostalgia of it. Got it working on Gran Turismo with a Drive hub. It has some bits rattling around inside. I should take some time and rebuild it. You have inspired me :)

• @fathersondiecast6521
    @fathersondiecast6521 2 ปีที่แล้ว

pedal springs kept breaking but I was able to get a hold of a stash of replacements and had to replace one every few weeks it seemed but my wheel bungie never broke, that was when I was cutting my teeth in sim racing with IndyCar Racing2 and that Cleveland airport circuit. Ohh the memories

• @myronianny
    @myronianny 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Aaahh how many memories among GP2 and F1 2000, childhood!
    When you were first talking about adapters, looking pots cables, I immediately thought about a Bodnar board and when you mentioned it I was like surprised ahah
    OT: it's sad that the only similarity between 1996 and 2021 was the "coming home" thing 😂

• @ColeusRattus
    @ColeusRattus 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I had one of those. Loved it on Goeff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 and the OG The Need for Speed

• @bluewinggaming7583
    @bluewinggaming7583 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

You can use Grand Prix 2 with DosBox and still map a wheel to it. I play GP2 everyday.
    And I wanna get a Thrustmaster T2 for myself to play it.

• @ChrisHaye

Yeah, I've managed it in the past. But for some reason this time around the No CD patch kept breaking it and producing the f1system.dat error. Even downloading the 'fixed' version didn't help. I have a CD, but no optical drive these days, so that's my next port of call. I ran out of tinkering time for this video, but I've not given up on it yet!

• @SeaGLGaming
    @SeaGLGaming 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This video may have just inspired me to get my old Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro Digital 2 working again. Use to play NASCAR Racing 2 and 3 on it when I was like 5. Restoring it and playing nr2003 with it would be quite fitting.

• @ChrisHaye

I had to look that one up, I don't remember it at all. But amazingly, it looks like there are still drivers available from Thrustmaster!

• @SeaGLGaming
      @SeaGLGaming 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye Yes! The wheel actually still works good as new and works with most games. However, the pedals don't work, and one of the buttons on the doesn't work. Plan on repairing those and then giving it a good cleaning.

• @julioau
    @julioau 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Yo... I have the wheel from that wheel... Didn't know it was that cool!

• @ChrisHaye

Haha, yeah man! It's like most things; cool when it's released... then it's old rubbish... then it becomes retro and collectable cool. We're a weird species!

• @Donpande
    @Donpande ปีที่แล้ว

I have one exactly like this, great times playing Need For Speed IISE and Indy Car. Maybe it's time for the old T2 to come out of retirement. I always thought that a clutch mod would be great on it. Great video by the way.

• @Daz555Daz
    @Daz555Daz 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I want to see a head-to-head. Chris and his T2 vs Jimmer and his £17 T-Racer wheel!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Oh lord! So much PAIN!

• @-racingfan2014
    @-racingfan2014 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

My first wheel too 😁 that I got for my birthday!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Heh. All I remember was struggling to stop the pedals from moving across the floor. It all came flooding back with this video!

• @-racingfan2014
      @-racingfan2014 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye same here. Very annoying. The spring of the gas pedal did break at some point and had to replace. Same with bungee cord.

• @sevach
    @sevach 2 ปีที่แล้ว

A friend had one of those (plus GP2 and the OG NFS), he set me on this path.

• @slaphead90
    @slaphead90 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I had a "Mad Katz" wheel that I bought specifically for the original F1 game on the PS One in '95 I think. It was basically the same thing with bungie "FFB". I had hours of absolute fun with that. I would have still had it, but I needed to dump a load of stuff when I emigrated from the UK.
    Nice trip down memory lane there. Thanks for that.

• @swagaliciousvettel5609
    @swagaliciousvettel5609 2 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Wow the nostalgiaaaaa!!!!!

• @lancecougar
    @lancecougar 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I can still remember staring longingly at its picture in the Argos catalogue.

• @ChrisHaye

The laminated book of dreams!

• @lookitsapotato7644
    @lookitsapotato7644 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Damn that looks awsome

• @R33Racer
    @R33Racer 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I remember using the Thrustmaster Grand Prix wheel (cheaper version of this) at my uncle's and trying it on Colin McRae Rally 1, it was superb.

• @ChrisHaye

I never bought the Colin McRae games on the PC, though I'm wishing I had now. Probably a much better experience than on the PS1 d-pad!

• @R33Racer
      @R33Racer 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye I brought over a demo disc of it (and many other games) as it ran like crap on my dad's PC. My uncle just so happened to have the steering wheel out at the time so we installed it on his machine and I tried it first. I couldn't believe how good it was right from the get-go. He then tried it and he was amazed too, and ended up buying the full big box version.
      Despite the cheapness, that wheel, was surprisingly excellent, at least with that particular game. Probably a really good potentiometer.

• @dogwithbees
    @dogwithbees 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I remember playing World Of Outlaws sprintcars and carmageddon 98 back in the day on one of these.. hooley

• @ChrisHaye

Ahhh, Carmageddon - that's a name I haven't heard in decades!

• @dogwithbees
      @dogwithbees 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye see if it works with the '96 thrustmaster :D

• @GenXSimracer
    @GenXSimracer 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I had one of these and the bungie cord is laughable now but when I used it as a kid I adapted well to it surprisingly.

• @CannyNico
    @CannyNico 2 ปีที่แล้ว

This made me look up the wheel that I started on, an old Logitech WingMan Formula GP. Good memories on NFS Porsche with that badboy

• @benjohnson5222
    @benjohnson5222 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

So cool! Shame you couldn't get Grand Prix II working. I loved that game so much when I played it back in the late 90s and it's the game that is 100% responsible for my unhealthy sim racing addiction!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Same. I enjoyed the first one, but GP2 really did capture my entusiasm!

• @josephharper7880
    @josephharper7880 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video! Very nostalgic.

• @PedroSantos_83
    @PedroSantos_83 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Fantastic video!

• @mrb552
    @mrb552 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Great video! Had that same one with even earlier, more crude gas and brake pedals. They were circular wheels that spun when you pressed them down. This controller might be why I still race in socks to this day with my Heusinkfeld Sprints. 🙂🏁

• @ChrisHaye

Ah yeah, I remember seeing those - that's a real blast from the past! I don't race in socks, but I have been with the T2 since the pedals are so small!

• @TurnRacing
    @TurnRacing 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This is so awesome!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Heh, I prefer your build videos dude ;)

• @StePhillips
    @StePhillips 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I feel like I'm watching one of the iRacing tutorial videos! 😄 Love the varied content Chris, keep it coming

• @ChrisHaye

Thanks Steve - I think I've said before, the main reason I do this is that I enjoy the craft of video-making, so keeping it varied keeps me sane!

• @CherniavskyDen
    @CherniavskyDen 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

1996! Michael Schumacher joins Ferrari. And me - I`ve got my first PC and a PC game - Grand Prix 2. And I can only dream about a wheel, so keyboard all the way. Untill 2001 and Thrustmaster Force Feedback Racing wheel came along.

• @ChrisHaye

I don't think I reaslised at the time how lucky I was. Dad picked up the wheel second hand, and I had no concept of how expensive it was. Even then it was nearly £200, so around double that now... which seems mad!

• @cozydrift
    @cozydrift 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Amazing content✌🏽

• @DMAX_DIY
    @DMAX_DIY 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Good GOD! The Gyrations we had to go through for GPL... I just had some kind of full body shake to through my core.. DAMN it's so nice now.. And these younger SIMS are very lucky.. (of course the will be saying the same crap about 2021 when it's 2029)... ***Let me retire in PEACE! *** BTW.. nice retro challenge Chris..
    DMax motion sim channel

• @ChrisHaye

I missed out on the fun of GPL the first time around, which I still have no explaination for, since it was very much right up my street. I guess at 14 I had developed other interests!

• @DMAX_DIY
      @DMAX_DIY 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye Dont we all at 14. HAHA

• @izagury
    @izagury 2 ปีที่แล้ว

thats the first wheel that I owed!!

• @donhodgdon7347
    @donhodgdon7347 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Sweet! My first wheel.

• @lukajalo8635
    @lukajalo8635 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

4:32 wow i have never in my life seen this channel before and we have the same usb hub

• @quickdraw1216
    @quickdraw1216 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Awesome video 👌👌👌👌👌👌

• @adrianstevenson9464
    @adrianstevenson9464 ปีที่แล้ว

This was my first pc wheel back in the mid 90's. Didn't last long before the "Force Feedback" stopped working. Pulled it apart to find a bungee cord inside and it had fallen apart inside. Put it back together and continued on. I was really quite surprised to find I had paid like $400 for something so cheaply made.

• @rayrobinson2074
    @rayrobinson2074 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I still have my old RadioShack Multi-System wheel from back then. It could convert from car to motorcycle layout and had the extra axis to act as a flight yoke. Might have to look into that usb converter. I eventually upgraded to an MS Sidewinder.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

I'll admit, I had to look that one up. We didn't have Radio Shack in the UK, although there were stores owned by the same group I think (Tandy) - don't recall ever seeing those in our neck of the woods. Of course, this was really before social media and the like, so exposure to other sim racers required a much more concerted effort!

• @rayrobinson2074
      @rayrobinson2074 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye I couldn't find anything on Google, the only label on the wheel just has: Cat No 26-9400A, Manufactured in China for TAN Canada/America/UK. I think I bought it more for the flight sim ability but did try it out on lots of the games people have listed here. Back then, you spent more time configuring drivers than actually racing.

• @bluex610
    @bluex610 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hold on to that, probably will go up in value in the future

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Well, it might have if I hadn't replaced all of the electronics :D

• @pitspeedtv
    @pitspeedtv 2 ปีที่แล้ว

🤣😂🤣 That was my first wheel! FIRS, hotlapping, and hours!

• @KennethDK
    @KennethDK 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I remember trying to "convert" my trusty WICO joystick into something usable for racing games. And of course, bought the Trustmaster T2 ... killing my piggybank in the process :o)

• @ChrisHaye

From what I remember, we went from a slightly dodgy analogue joystick to the T2, which was a night and day difference. You're right about the price though, they were very expensive at the time. Something like £200 new, which I guess is equivalent to 3-4x that amount in today's money.

• @planetzing7796
    @planetzing7796 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Very very well done video. Most TH-camrs would stretch something like this into a 15 minute rumbling of nonsense. Definitely earned a subscribe from me

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks man! I try my best to be as ruthless as possible in the edit these down to keep the run-time sensible. I don't always succeed!

• @Hjallapenos
    @Hjallapenos 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Wow! Such a well made video! Was looking forward to you talking about the feels of the pedals more seeing as it had that cool feature. My feet start to hurt after racing for a long time with my t300, perhaps a similar design to these pedals would counter that. So yeah, I was bummed by the fact that you didn't talk about the feel of the pedals :(

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks! And sorry for not talking more about the pedals. I leave quite a lot on the cutting room floor tbh, as I like a nice tight edit. I don't think the pedals would really help, the design does help things a little, but they're quite narrow and close together, which introduces new problems!

• @Hjallapenos
      @Hjallapenos 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@ChrisHaye ok. Thanks

• @carlosfandango2419
    @carlosfandango2419 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Analogue was quite amazing back in the day. Had a stick for my Amiga, used with F1GP it was a revelation, even at 6FPS!
    Got my first wheel with the Playstation, VRally and GT were amazing. However it wasn't until I bought a Windows XP PC and installed Grand Prix Legends that I finally felt what I would at the time describe as realism.
    It would be interesting to see you play this sim, although released in 1998 with community support it looks and feels modern.

• @Taverius
    @Taverius 2 ปีที่แล้ว

That logo tho 😎

• @LeeFall
    @LeeFall 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Screamer 2 was my first racing game, I think that was around 1996 too.

• @danielsgrunge
    @danielsgrunge 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

A pot for the steering input is kinda genius if you think about it

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

It's basic, but it works. Though, they do suffer from drift and signal issues once they get a bit dirty.

• @jimmy-the-bear
    @jimmy-the-bear ปีที่แล้ว

I had one of these and used to play Rally Championship which was an absolute blast. I just googled that game and god the graphics are far worse than I remembered LOL.

• @timwelch175
    @timwelch175 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Sounds like all you need is a little wheel time in an 88 Silverado and you and that wheel will get along great. Sounds about the same.

• @isaacsrandomvideos667
    @isaacsrandomvideos667 2 ปีที่แล้ว

That’s awesome

• @Trekkerfahrer
    @Trekkerfahrer 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I had one of these.... was my first wheel and i played Grand Prix 2 on it

• @robertyates6913
    @robertyates6913 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Great video. Believe it or not my current usable wheel rig is a Logitech Formula Force Wingman USB, with nice FFB from 1998. Plays all the modern games, AC, ACC, AMS2, BeamNG, Project Cars2 on my Windows 7 Gaming machine - with GTX3090 (yes you read this correctly). I'm wondering if I'm the only person in the Universe running this system.

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

I think it's highly possible! I can't imagine there are too many people with a bleeding edge video card and.... Windows 7!

• @ErnieGaming
    @ErnieGaming 2 ปีที่แล้ว

My first racing wheel. 😍

• @Novotny72
    @Novotny72 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I also saw those temps at my desk a week or so ago. horrendous

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Yeah, it date-stamps the recording of the video quite nicely I think! I have a portable AC unit for the studio, but every time it gets really hot I have to bring it home so the baby can sleep properly... which somewhat defeats the point! :)

• @jj72rg
    @jj72rg 2 ปีที่แล้ว

This is like LGR x Chris Hale, therapeutic

• @sillychameleon4273
    @sillychameleon4273 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

good video liked and subscribed

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the sub my dude!

• @richysracing9524
    @richysracing9524 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I had one of these, then i give up then i had a g25 with a propper shifter

• @MarkoVuckovic32
    @MarkoVuckovic32 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This wheel is actually older than me. I really like seeing how technology used to be in the previous century

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

On one hand, it really doesn't feel like that long ago... but equally, this basically has nothing in common with modern equipment. So, in short, time is cruel!

• @liamcdm3689
      @liamcdm3689 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Also older than me. By about three years lol

• @MarkoVuckovic32
      @MarkoVuckovic32 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@liamcdm3689 It's about four years in my case

• @chickenjonte_
    @chickenjonte_ 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Content is great and humour is on point as always. Quality over quantity!

• @ChrisHaye
      @ChrisHaye  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

• @tractionmedia
    @tractionmedia 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Fun fact the thrustmaster 458 spider wheel still uses a bungee cord which snapped for me and I had to replace it

• @Skippy-id9yt
    @Skippy-id9yt 2 ปีที่แล้ว

In 1997 ish (I was 13) I had the V3 wheel and gran turismo 1 (psx) spent many a night with mates trying to get all gold in license tests ...........

• @YossiGab
    @YossiGab 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

You may be able to run the old grand prix games by installing virtual machine with an old windows (xp maybe)

• @ChrisHaye

Good shout - I managed to get it installed and running to some extent, but struggled with the NOCD patch. I think the copy protection outsmarted me I do have a CD, but no optical drive so I guess that's the next thing to try.

• @TSRB
    @TSRB 2 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I'm a simple man. I hear an Oasis reference, I press like.