Booting from a USB stick on Lenovo ThinkPad T15

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 14 ก.ย. 2020
  • Assuming you've already created the UEFI mode USB stick (I have another video for creating one), this is how you boot from a USB stick on a Lenovo ThinkPad T15.
    Secure Boot is on by default to stop people booting from a USB stick and bypassing Windows login with the likes of Konboot (a very useful tool). But there are times you need to boot from USB so will have to disable Secure Boot to do this.
    I don't see Secure Boot much so keep forgetting it exists and wondered why I couldn't boot from USB. I've been in IT for years and even I miss things at times.
    Maybe useful for someone. Uploaded for my notes.

ความคิดเห็น • 152

• @TheStevenWhiting
    @TheStevenWhiting  ปีที่แล้ว +1

Discovered today 11/9/2022 on a Surface Go 2 that not only does Secure Boot need to be disabled but also TPM to be able to boot from a USB stick.
    Look into the new regarding newer Lenovo laptops, I'll be avoiding them now. They've done a deal with Microsoft that the Secure Boot mode in the BIOS will be protected with a Microsoft CA certificate. So if its disabled you'll struggle to install Linux because the CA Certificate doesn't work in Linux. This is a scummy move by both Microsoft and Lenovo. This is the very reason no one wanted Microsoft to control Secure Boot.

• @mikaelfelin8455
    @mikaelfelin8455 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank u soooo much. How did I not think of That… i’m so glad i spotted ur video

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Its not obvious. I've never seen this setup in a BIOS before.

• @SpinDlsc
    @SpinDlsc 2 ปีที่แล้ว +4

One thing to bear in mind if you still can't boot after disabling Secure Boot and can't find a Legacy Mode option:
    Intel had announced that by 2020, they would start phasing out support for Legacy Mode. So if you're still not able to boot from USB, make sure that your are using the UEFI option when preparing your USB drive.

• @Marius-gi2dn
      @Marius-gi2dn ปีที่แล้ว

I have neither of them only usb Boot

• @ScottAtkins49
    @ScottAtkins49 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank you so much! I couldn't figure out why it would just flash black and not boot to my USB stick...

• @kreaweb-be
    @kreaweb-be ปีที่แล้ว +1

On newer LENOVO systems like the P16 laptop, after disabling Secure Boot, you'll be able to boot USB sticks like VENTOY USB. But then you still won't be able to access any disk because BITLOCKER is turned on by default on Windows based systems. You could disable Bitlocker and convert all drives to be Bitlocker free and the disable Secure Boot, but in that case you loose the protection in case your laptop gets lost or is stolen. The choice is yours.

• @El_Soberbio
    @El_Soberbio 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Gracias por tu ayuda. Era muy facil el ajuste, pero mi laptop es moderna y trae esa BIOS que enseñas en el video. Saludos!

• @user-xe2jp3cx2w
    @user-xe2jp3cx2w 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

You are the man

• @Aryeth377
    @Aryeth377 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

saved me, thanks a lot !

• @TheStevenWhiting
    @TheStevenWhiting  3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I believe this is purely SECURE BOOT and not really related to UEFI. As mentioned the point is to stop you using a boot disc, USB stick or USB drive to load any tools to bypass Windows login, which can be done with Konboot. However, SECURE BOOT is pretty pointless unless you set a password to the BIOS which can be dangerous as if you forget it, it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to clear the password.

• @AtilaGuljas
    @AtilaGuljas ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hi, thank you for the great tips! in the video you mentioned that you have another video on making a USB stick bootable. Can you share the link?

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  ปีที่แล้ว

Yep it's this th-cam.com/video/wo5VGkrFpzE/w-d-xo.html

• @grumbella
    @grumbella ปีที่แล้ว +2

Thank you it worked on my Lenovo T14

• @nihorothereal
      @nihorothereal ปีที่แล้ว

Does not help on mine. Just black screen and power and ESC leds lit.

• @black_heart_gaming583
    @black_heart_gaming583 3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

thanks, worked on my X1

• @sandiego1936
      @sandiego1936 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Nice to hear because i need to do this!

• @jimmcqueen3291
    @jimmcqueen3291 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank you good sir!

• @ivandoychev8498
    @ivandoychev8498 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

That helps a lot, thanks!

• @LordofKings-Raj
    @LordofKings-Raj ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for Hint...

• @Skygrot
    @Skygrot 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hi. I have buy a new thinkbook 15 G2, but my bios don't has all the option described in the video. It's blocked?

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Blocked, with an admin password? You'll need to reset it, if that's been set then we'll assume you got it second hand? You'll need to look at Lenovo's site on how to reset it without the password. Back in the old days it required just removing the CMOS battery.

• @itsecrets9402
    @itsecrets9402 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hiii thanks for video 😊😊

• @Nanospeedz
    @Nanospeedz 3 ปีที่แล้ว

thank you very much!

• @salarhavaszadeh7849
    @salarhavaszadeh7849 2 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thank you!! ❤🎉🎉

• @karpetkicker
    @karpetkicker 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I have question . I need to disable CSM SUpport and submit BOTH on UEFI /LEGAVY BOOT, on a lenovot14 but the options are grayed out even after I disabled secureboot

• @TheStevenWhiting

I'm starting to read some laptops are doing away with legacy support altogether. You'll have to look up the laptop and see if this is one of them.

• @PatricioCastro-lw6qc
    @PatricioCastro-lw6qc ปีที่แล้ว +1

gracias man de chile !!

• @nikolasosamu5336
    @nikolasosamu5336 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thanks You si sirve pensé que no podría pero muchas gracias

• @bmfilmstudio6601
    @bmfilmstudio6601 4 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thanks

• @hopelife2189
    @hopelife2189 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Trying same way, but still not working

• @oussamabentarki8919
    @oussamabentarki8919 10 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Appreciate it

• @itsecrets9402
    @itsecrets9402 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Helped for me

• @purelife340
    @purelife340 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I am facing the same issue but on Lenovo V50T-13imb and though after disabling secure boot and configuring rest of the options i am unable to boot me USB, its UEFI and running smooth on other devices but not Lenovo V50T.

• @charl3546
    @charl3546 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi, can anyone explain how to move the USB to the top of the Boot Order within the Boot Menu. Currently using a X1 Carbon Gen 9 and my Boot Menu GUI is identical to the one in this video. Just cannot figure out how to move the USB from the bottom position to the top in the the order. Thank you.

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Just do it in the BIOS and then use the arrow keys to move it up. Normally tells you the key to press to move it up.

• @vinhho6838
    @vinhho6838 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I created USB boost with type GPT, I can't choose disk for window when setup. In window don't show anything to choose.

• @SpinDlsc
      @SpinDlsc 2 ปีที่แล้ว

It's possible that you need to load a driver before you can see the available disks, such as an Intel RST or a RAID driver. This is an issue my colleague and I had when we were trying to deploy a USB image onto some Dell Optiplex machines some months back.

• @fhoofe3245
    @fhoofe3245 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

thanks! thinkpad L14 Gen1 Intel 2020 worked

• @sandiego1936
    @sandiego1936 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Does these same steps work on the X1 carbon laptops? Looks the same i would think!

• @TheStevenWhiting

Most likely. Its purely Secure Boot that was causing this issue.

• @sandiego1936
      @sandiego1936 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting Yes TY

• @victorgeronimoyupanqui5549
    @victorgeronimoyupanqui5549 2 ปีที่แล้ว

usb booteable en esquema de particion GPT, UEFI (no-csm)

• @lalitsuthar5506
    @lalitsuthar5506 3 ปีที่แล้ว

• @nehadeshwal7867
    @nehadeshwal7867 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Whenever I am escaping from the boot menu it gives an error at the top left corner that “Error could not detect network connection “ and goes again to the same boot screen. Please help how to get out of this boot screen and see windows

• @TheStevenWhiting

Sounds like its failing to boot from the drive and then attempting to boot from the network (some corporate setups use this for rolling out new installs of Windows) but can't find a network so you're getting a failed error. Only option is to find a spare USB stick that has a bootable copy of Linux on to see if you can boot from that to see what is going on with the Windows drive.

• @eliteanx07_
    @eliteanx07_ ปีที่แล้ว +1

I still have the issue. I turned off secure boot and tried to boot in but it still sends me back to the Boot Manager. I am using a Lenovo L13 Yoga Generation 2.

• @TheStevenWhiting

Does the boot menu show the USB stick at all?

• @eliteanx07_
      @eliteanx07_ ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting Yes it does

• @eliteanx07_
      @eliteanx07_ ปีที่แล้ว

It shows my USB

• @eliteanx07_
      @eliteanx07_ ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting I'll try setting the USB first in the boot order

• @TheStevenWhiting

@@eliteanx07_ Yes it needs to be first or you choose it if it has a menu system. Not all of them do

• @kelvinbrute4541
    @kelvinbrute4541 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Have T14 it requires a password and i cant disable at the secure boot options its just grey, what can i do

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Removing bios battery might clear it but I've not tried.

• @deva594
    @deva594 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Hello Thanks for this information. Even after I disabled Secure boot - I'm still not able to boot from USB. There's no UEFI option on my ThinkPad. Any other ideas? I've tried to reorder the boot order as well and that didn't work. My USB has Windows 10 Enterprise on NTFS file format. Thanks appreciate any suggestions.

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  3 ปีที่แล้ว

What model of ThinkPad? What USB stick trying to boot from? Have you tested the stick to make sure its readable? It also has to be bootable

• @deva594
      @deva594 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting ThinkPad P15 Gen1, Onn USB stick and yes it's readable. I'm reading up and perhaps I need to update the Bios?

• @TheStevenWhiting

@@deva594 Won't hurt to update the BIOS but you shouldn't need to. Are you then pressing F12 after turning this security setting off in my video? When pressing F12 so you get the boot menu does the plugged in USB stick show as a device?

• @TheStevenWhiting

@@deva594 Get it fixed?

• @deirae
      @deirae 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@TheStevenWhiting I'm actually running into this issue as well on a T14 Gen 1. Turn off the Secure and then F12 to the USB and it just blinks before going back to the boot menu. I use the USB on older Lenovo machines without issues. Any ideas?

• @rbwglez2331
    @rbwglez2331 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi there i don cant boot from usb with linux mini y goes your steps and dont can boot

• @TheStevenWhiting

Double check you've made the USB stick bootable

• @slambk
    @slambk 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

i have fixed mine thnx...but i had to change UEFI only to Both as well...thnx

• @slambk
      @slambk 2 ปีที่แล้ว

text me if u still want to be helped i can share my Bios settings..lol

• @BlackJack-tv7ty
      @BlackJack-tv7ty 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@slambk hello, can you tell me brother ?

• @slambk
      @slambk 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@BlackJack-tv7ty for start have U tried to create ur bootable Us from Rufus? the MBR and the other option have you tried that?

• @BlackJack-tv7ty
      @BlackJack-tv7ty 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@slambk yeah I've tried that

• @slambk
      @slambk 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@BlackJack-tv7ty ..then i will have to share my settings with you... but i'm away from my place.. sadly i can not access easily to it... I will be back end of July... i have watched few tutorials on here.. but I will not forget about letting or getting back to you asap....I wiped my one and it's perfectly running now...keep well

• @salahaljnabe2266
    @salahaljnabe2266 2 ปีที่แล้ว

solve checking media Lenovo think book

• @dakshdobhal7658
    @dakshdobhal7658 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

My secure boot is off but I still get stuck in that boot loop🙁

• @TheStevenWhiting

If you have a USB stick in then it can't be bootable.

• @DevwooTech
    @DevwooTech ปีที่แล้ว

I love you Men

• @NghSkBrzy
    @NghSkBrzy ปีที่แล้ว

Whats the usb for?

• @TheStevenWhiting

User gave it to me as it was stuck in a boot loop so I had to wipe it and install Windows Enterprise fresh.

• @Joe.o0
    @Joe.o0 2 ปีที่แล้ว

unfortunately I can't disable secure boot. It's greyed out. I wanted to buy a new bios chip but the seller says that it won't work..

• @TheStevenWhiting

Password protected? You can't buy a new BIOS chip, not since the 80s.

• @Joe.o0
      @Joe.o0 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting no password protection. Is your second phrase sarcasm? 🤔
      I can't even update my bios because I need to burn it on CD🤦🏻‍♂️

• @fabgaz3794
    @fabgaz3794 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This laptop does not support Legacy Mode right ? Fuckin hell i've got one to configure for a user and no way to start a usb win imaged key in Legacy mode

• @TheStevenWhiting

Don't panic, it does th-cam.com/video/bokeIBf2pp0/w-d-xo.html turn off "kernal DMA Protection" in Security/Virtualisation in the BIOS.

• @nikhilgupta965
    @nikhilgupta965 ปีที่แล้ว

I have a lenevo l14 and it does not contain any OS. I was trying to install ubuntu and issue got created due to some mistake from me.
    Now while trying to install the ubuntu, the SSD drive is not getting detected in which I need to install the ubuntu. I tried to debug using live ubuntu from bootable USB. Looked gparted, looked disk analyser. But SSD drive is not shown anywhere. I am stuck. Please help me if possible.

• @TheStevenWhiting

If you boot from a USB stick again and don't go into Linux. Just boot as if you're going to reinstall it. It should then see the SSD as you're doing a new install.

• @nikhilgupta965

​@@TheStevenWhiting I also tried that. Instead of using "Try Ubuntu" , I selected "Install Ubuntu". In that scenarios I am not able to see SSD drive. I am just able to see /dev/sdb which points to the bootable usb. In BIOS also, I am not able to see nvme as part of bootable device.
      Previously I was able to see nvme in the list of bootable device.
      Thanks for the reply.

• @TheStevenWhiting

@@nikhilgupta965 Can you see the SSD anywhere in the BIOS? You should be able to see it in the BIOS somewhere.

• @nikhilgupta965

@@TheStevenWhiting No, I am not able to see SSD anywhere in BIOS.

• @nikhilgupta965

@@TheStevenWhiting Now also getting msg at startup, 0183: bad crc of secutiry setting in efi variable

• @HT.100
    @HT.100 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Is there anyway to boot windows without needing USB stick?

• @TheStevenWhiting

Yes, install Windows on the internal drive. But if its not already installed, then you'll need it on a USB stick first.

• @ProfBlaq
      @ProfBlaq 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting what about on an external ssd that uses usb?

• @TheStevenWhiting

@@ProfBlaq Yes it will work just like its a USB drive

• @ProfBlaq
      @ProfBlaq 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting unfortunately didnt work. Everytime i restart, the system flashes black and then goes back to the Lenox screen

• @guellordnzaou6887
    @guellordnzaou6887 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Hi. It worked for me
    Step 1: Create a USB bootable with Rufus app.
    format USB drive with Rufus app.
    Then select GPT and set the target system to UEFI
    Then create your USB bootable file. And wait until it done
    Step 2: insert your USB bootable to your computer.
    Step 3: power on your laptop, then press F1 to enter to BIOS ( I use Lenovo T14)
    Step 4: Disable Secure boot, then change the boot order by setting your USB drive at the first position. Then Press F10 to save changes...now your laptop should boot normally.
    Let me know if it worked.

• @Thinknicee
    @Thinknicee 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

T15 ask me password?

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Reset it. Removing the BIOS battery should work.

• @xxrobertxxxxrobertxx293
    @xxrobertxxxxrobertxx293 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hola

• @user-bw9fc3ys5l
    @user-bw9fc3ys5l 9 หลายเดือนก่อน

the solution is good but in my case it remains the same

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  9 หลายเดือนก่อน

What remains the same?

• @user-bw9fc3ys5l

dear i do the setting as i saw but it just blinks when i select boot from USB HDD@@TheStevenWhiting

• @user-bw9fc3ys5l

th-cam.com/video/PyiTFfzrbDE/w-d-xo.html i use this method also by but after thios method on startup it ask bitlocker key.@@TheStevenWhiting

• @TheStevenWhiting
      @TheStevenWhiting  9 หลายเดือนก่อน

That normally points to the USB HDD not being bootable. Did you set it up to be bootable?@@user-bw9fc3ys5l

• @NxssLink
    @NxssLink 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Pwd forget bios

• @TheStevenWhiting

Don't know if still valid in new laptops but used to be, you could take the BIOS battery out and it would clear the password.

• @NxssLink
      @NxssLink 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@TheStevenWhiting 0 tips into the white side if the net

• @NxssLink
      @NxssLink 2 ปีที่แล้ว

For 10th geb

• @premkatta1128
    @premkatta1128 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

why are u whispering....not able to here your voice clearly

• @Typeanything
    @Typeanything ปีที่แล้ว

On my system the secure boot option is greyed out and wont let me change it. Why is this? Help please

• @TheStevenWhiting

See if fast boot is on, turn it off see if secure boot re-enables. Could be another issue causing it not to see secure boot.

• @said-fahddaouiha7646
    @said-fahddaouiha7646 2 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thanq you so much m’y friend 🫡