Sloppy Shifter & Worn Out Clutch in a Kenworth T800

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 29 ส.ค. 2024

ความคิดเห็น • 312

• @riveneva1519
    @riveneva1519 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Our family owned a trucking company. We had 4 international tri axle dump trucks. We had to fix them wherever they broke.
    One truck spun the center out of a clutch and we had to change it in a chipyard in the dirt and mud. Somehow we supported the 13 speed using a warn winch on a scout and got it done, albeit in a very sketchy and not OSHA approved way. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    My dad has passed away and I’m now far too old to do heavy work like that anymore but I respect the people that can still do it. Good job sir, well done!

• @SentientSeven
    @SentientSeven ปีที่แล้ว +120

If a DGHD video isn't a good start of the weekend I don't know what is!

• @michaelbenoit248
      @michaelbenoit248 ปีที่แล้ว

The best way to start the weekend is to buy another crappy Ford 7.3 that’s mint. Bring it home, buy a giant list of parts to replace right off the bat cuz they’re that common to fail replace em all at once, & get it over with.

• @Beandiptheredneck
      @Beandiptheredneck ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@michaelbenoit248 that sounds like a horrible way to start a weekend 🤣 the weekend after cruising it around sounds much better

• @nickburchfield329
      @nickburchfield329 ปีที่แล้ว

Amen to that

• @Zach_A
    @Zach_A ปีที่แล้ว +11

I distinctly remember watching the video of you replacing the trans in that peterbuilt so many years ago. I was then about a month away from starting diesel tech school and I remember being blown away with how casual you were about what I thought then was the monumental task of replacing a transmission. I've been at an International dealership since then and as fate would have it, I became the "transmission guy" at our shop. Now if I'm not getting a clutch job done before lunch, something is wrong.

• @colemanmech
    @colemanmech ปีที่แล้ว +2

Rich, I'm a 30 year old, graduate from the caterpillar think big program here in north carolina. I left the cat world about 5 years ago, let me tell you. Going out on my own was the best thing I could have ever done. Worked out of a 95 f350 for a few years, built a good business and customer base, bought a f550 and currently in works of putting up a 40X60 pole barn. I work on a little bit of everything much like yourself. I appreciate your videos and your insight on how most of us should try to lead our lives, in my opinion. If you're every in the NC VA area and need a couple zip ties and electrical tape, lol, give me a shout

• @Scottdulrich
    @Scottdulrich 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Ah yes, the good ol' block of wood trick. Never gets old and so many uses in the right hands!

• @Oatinator
    @Oatinator ปีที่แล้ว +9

I did a clutch and a rear section on a Kenworth dump truck just like this one 2 weeks ago. I've worked with a couple guys who absolutely love doing transmission work and claim that its gravy work, but i hate doing transmission's and clutches. Never had a good time on one yet lol
    Edit: I am also a rust belt mechanic from southern Ontario, which just adds to the fun lol

• @farmerbill6855
    @farmerbill6855 ปีที่แล้ว +62

Rich, great video, great message. Both of your channels are among my top four on TH-cam. You have both my admiration and respect. You're correct, clutches suck. I've done a big bunch however and never had one fail. And you are also correct, someone willing to do the hard work honestly will always succeed. I tip my hat to you Sir.
    Best regards from Indiana, USA.

• @TheBrokenLife
      @TheBrokenLife ปีที่แล้ว

Hey, a neighbor! Greetings from the northwest side! 🙋‍♂

• @farmerbill6855
      @farmerbill6855 ปีที่แล้ว

Up in the region?

• @TheBrokenLife
      @TheBrokenLife ปีที่แล้ว

@@farmerbill6855 Elkhart County!

• @farmerbill6855
      @farmerbill6855 ปีที่แล้ว

Ah yes, I'm in Boone County, just north of Indy.

• @TheBrokenLife
      @TheBrokenLife ปีที่แล้ว

@@farmerbill6855 Greetings! 👍

• @vaughanmatthewc
    @vaughanmatthewc ปีที่แล้ว +13

Nice to hear rich, not many people appreciate the trades. I am a Kenworth tech in Ontario. Also 40 this year. You just experienced my life lol. Keep up the vids!

• @SoupyOatmeal
    @SoupyOatmeal ปีที่แล้ว +1

the first 22 and a half min was great video to watch and I love watching your videos ever since Iwatched you rescue the older lady
    that had the man lift in her front yard. The last few min was priceless in that truer words were never spoken.

• @yeahitskimmel
    @yeahitskimmel ปีที่แล้ว +12

Good call on the hardwood, I wouldn't be here right now without the heads up of a 4x4 cracking apart.
    Was doing a similar job on a similar truck when an aged fitting started to leak and drop the bed without making enough noise for me to notice
    Loved the part inspiring young guys. I wrenched through college and have never needed my degree bc apparently nobody wants to do this anymore, especially the larger equipment stuff

• @AndrewBrowner
      @AndrewBrowner ปีที่แล้ว

were you napping on the frame rails? the box coming down an inch a minute is an annoyance not a guillotine

• @yeahitskimmel
      @yeahitskimmel ปีที่แล้ว

@@AndrewBrowner You must be fun at parties.
      I have no idea how fast it would have fallen without the piece of wood, it was an instant blow out leak not a pre-existing drip and I was literally leaned over between the rails to hit a grease fitting. The guy who dropped it at my shop was kind enough to leave it not entirely empty of large landscape beauty rocks

• @yeahitskimmel
      @yeahitskimmel ปีที่แล้ว

@@EarthSouthside very true but most people cheaply abuse work equipment and you don't always exactly pick and choose the truck you're working on

• @anomamos9095
    @anomamos9095 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Tip
    For controlling dry rust and dust without spending a year cleaning mix up some pva glue in water to the consistency of maple syrup and spray it over all the loose dust and or rust and let it dry.
    You can then peel it off or it washes off in water when done.

• @benjaminpendley6116
    @benjaminpendley6116 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I miss the hell out of diesel mechanics. Did it every summer in HS and have been in a hot Rod machine shop since graduation 2 years ago. Getting a CDL to go race and be back around these machines. Miss em too much

• @289hipo
    @289hipo ปีที่แล้ว +4

Such memories this brings!!...as an early 20yr old pulling clutches on White Road Boss conventionals for a sand & glass company, in the summer, outside on the asphalt lot. EVERYTHING had sand all over it, the transmission jack would sink into the asphalt😖

• @1one3_Racing
    @1one3_Racing ปีที่แล้ว +1

So many places here in Australia are paying huge sign on bonuses. Landscaping, construction, heavy mechanics, truck drivers. You can get up to $10k after 12 months! I'm considering getting back into trucks with the money being so good.

• @bobbywright2100
    @bobbywright2100 ปีที่แล้ว +3

40 wow you are a young buck!!!! I have a lot more years in the nasty but I wouldn’t change it. I love the solving the problems so I look past the dirty hands and just take pride in knowing I got a vehicle in my shop that had problems and when it left it was running in tip top shape because of me. Now don’t think I wouldn’t do what you do MAYBE! But I like working at my own pace and doing my job my way. I know TH-cam has made your life different in many ways and probably some ways you don’t like at all. But thats not up or down that’s you and me. I really like the videos so that’s and I look forward to the next thanks.

• @joshparker6708
    @joshparker6708 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I recently took an internship at a drive line shop building heavy duty transmissions. Mostly Eaton Fuller RTLO18918Bs and FRO16210Cs. Its amazing to me how long these units can last. A good driver can keep the unit in usable condition for over 500,000 miles. Ensuring the clutch brake is operating correctly, preselecting your range shift, and running good clean oil and a cooler can save a lot of time and money. Silly things that cost a lot of time and money include running the unit out of oil and shock load failure as a result of bad driving or wheel spinout during slippery conditions. Replacing the input would have been a good idea, but I'm not sure it's possible without partially disassembling the main box.

• @ParadigmShark
    @ParadigmShark ปีที่แล้ว

Proper maintenance is a testament to the longevity of a truck, I occasionally work on a 70s International that has nearly 4 million miles on it and it's in better shape than some of 5 year old trucks that I see.

• @TheBrokenLife
    @TheBrokenLife ปีที่แล้ว +6

Regarding your closing points... Many moons ago I decided to go into the more clerical side of machinery rather than spin wrenches as a career. That decision was based in large part on the fact that none of the mechanics I knew over 40 could stand up straight anymore. What I didn't know, and no one knew to tell me at the time, is that sitting at a desk could be just as brutal on your body. You get all of the back problems _and_ you get repetitive stress injuries to go with it. 😆
    The ideal job is about half of each, but that job pretty much doesn't exist anymore.
    If I had it to do all over again, I think owner/operator of equipment (I assume what Phil is doing) would be a decent way to go. With what formal education costs, not in just money but also in time, you could have yourself a pretty good start-up collection of hardware to work with.

• @garykirk1968
    @garykirk1968 ปีที่แล้ว +2

If my 160 pound self can bench them up into place, you got it Rich. The flywheel is the real fun.. Just did the clutch in one of our T880 KWhoppers a little while back. Love seeing how different people go about this stuff.

• @franksprecisionguesswork501
    @franksprecisionguesswork501 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Great video Rich! I did a few trans & clutch changes in my early years, (that’s around 50 years ago!) a good transmission jack always saved they day. Was always amazed at the destruction we discovered. From broken flywheels,exploded pressure plates, the occasional drive shaft that was twisted like a licorice stick.
    Thanks for the reality check at the end.

• @mattgates2191
    @mattgates2191 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank You! For the end of the video explaining the reality of the amount of mechanic and technician work there is to have. Yes, it’s hard work. Yes, messy and dirty, but you learn this trade(s) and you will be in EXTREME demand!

• @Aspire198
    @Aspire198 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Holy shit now this is the filthy Rich I subbed for. Also shoutout from a country where cabovers are super common so you can tilt the cab and do everything with a crane including lifting the clutch plate and flywheel etc

• @liamgoetz2890
    @liamgoetz2890 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Right now I’m waiting to see if I get into this trade school/ apprenticeship with cat and seeing you do everything and anything is really encouraging

• @adamstinshack
    @adamstinshack ปีที่แล้ว

I've been been a diesel mechanic for the last 20 years. I started with semi's first job I had was changing oil and clutches on freightliners. I remember how heavy those are and that is the same way I always put the new one in. Happy birthday I'm 1 year behind you.

• @TheBibliofilus
    @TheBibliofilus ปีที่แล้ว +25

I wonder how the favor tally stands between Rich and Phil after this, if Phil will stop answering the phone when Rich calls?

• @thathippiecarnerd8146
    @thathippiecarnerd8146 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank you for showing the realities of being a Heavy duty diesel tech. Honestly, this work scares me, but seeing where you are is inspiring

• @timothybailey7118
    @timothybailey7118 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The commentary on work ethic and opportunity was more valuable than the actual content. Good on you.

• @av8tore71
    @av8tore71 ปีที่แล้ว

Not a lot of ppl here in the states especially Northern Illinois neighbors helping neighbors pretty much they are out for themselves and it's a shame!! You're a good man Charlie Brown

• @karenplace495
    @karenplace495 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I agree with you 100 percent. Service is where the jobs are for young guys. I dread putting in clutches too but you either do it or pay someone dearly to do it. I'm 69 and still "bench pressing" them! Scott

• @Red1red1MC
    @Red1red1MC ปีที่แล้ว +17

That last bit of motivational talk you had with us there at the end really hit me where it needed to. Thank you Rich.

• @adammoore3583
    @adammoore3583 ปีที่แล้ว

I’m going to school right now to be a diesel technician. worked at my uncles diesel shop when i was 16 and it really sparked a passion for big trucks and turning wrenches

• @robrobitaille4235
    @robrobitaille4235 ปีที่แล้ว

Totally agree. No one wants to work. It baffles my mind because work makes you a better person.

• @jessesager9460
    @jessesager9460 ปีที่แล้ว

Pulling clutches and transmissions is what I started out doing at my first job as a tech. Pulling that transmission top cover under a truck, also called a shift bar housing, is really no fun! Had to pull a few of those to replace broken detent and shift bar keys when a driver loses all but two gears on the low and high ranges. Keep up the good work Rich!

• @pettyfogger2305
    @pettyfogger2305 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Great content, Rich! Your message at the end is super, and it goes far beyond your focus on entry-level heavy truck repair; here in the U.S. the average age of an electrician is about 58 years old... . This is exactly the right time to steer focused, able-bodied young folks into the Trades. My grandson is just weeks from gaining Journeyman status and has been making good money from day 1, and for the past two years makes more than his professional parents. All that and no 3rd world citizen with a laptop is going to snatch your job away at 30% of your wages. Great message.

• @swallowinn4410
    @swallowinn4410 ปีที่แล้ว

Hello Rich. Great back to basics video. Please keep putting the odd one in your lineup. The builds are fantastic. The back to basics keeps them in perspective.
    You have earned your transition to doing more of the work that keeps you awake at night. It is a little depressing that the younger generations do not want to work for an honest living. You said it correctly a very good living to be had if the effort is put out to achieve the reward. I am not rich but frequently have my hands dirty. It will be a sad day when I have to stop turning wrenches. Keep the videos coming.

• @samwagner31
    @samwagner31 ปีที่แล้ว

I can attest to your message at the end. I graduated trade school in 2019 for diesel technology, was hired 2 days later. In less than 3 years I've gotten 5 pay raises that has doubled my income. There's plenty of work out there if you don't mind getting dirty and doing the things that nobody else wants to do. I make my living over a mile underground, it's hot, wet, greasy, the fleet is old, and there's inherent dangers, but they pay us good because nobody else wants to do it.

• @dalelongson4561
    @dalelongson4561 ปีที่แล้ว

great message Rich. work full time for the water utilities myself in the UK and we can't get decent engineers. its dirty and hard work but its a job for life. my spare time ill work for a mate doing mechanic work on what ever turns up to his workshop and that's fun work as well! plus side is I can pay for some very cool toys, tractors machines and lots of trailers!

• @Chef-Matt
    @Chef-Matt ปีที่แล้ว +3

Should’ve done a new rear main seal, resurface the flywheel, new pilot bearing and full new clutch assembly.

• @Modlendingen
    @Modlendingen ปีที่แล้ว +2

Great video, great to see some more DGHD wrenching! And what else is better than helping out Phil ;) Looking forward to more DGHD wrenching videos!

• @mikenicholson2548
    @mikenicholson2548 ปีที่แล้ว

Rich, I work on semi's I took 3 8 by 8 boards and glued and screwed them together to make ramps to get the truck up in the air. Works awesome and no Jack's or stands. Just drive up on them, and you can roll under and do whatever you need to do.

• @123suzukisamurai
    @123suzukisamurai ปีที่แล้ว

Man I love watching your videos. It will be a sad day and a great loss if you stop

• @matthewb8229
    @matthewb8229 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Your reaction when you pulled the PTO reminds me of when I pulled the Saginaw 3 speed out of my 68 C10. It came down off the cross member, and I said, "Oh sh!t..." as I broke it's fall to the floor.

• @KCMoore-jx4jr
    @KCMoore-jx4jr ปีที่แล้ว +1

Love your enthusiasm and good humor. Always makes my day when a new vlog is dropped. Keep up the good work!!

• @michaelreynolds1904
    @michaelreynolds1904 ปีที่แล้ว +79

Great, now we all know it only really takes 25 minutes to do this job! 🤣

• @Hitekkleotruckings
      @Hitekkleotruckings ปีที่แล้ว +4

every mechanic would be wealthy 🤣

• @Watchyn_Yarwood
      @Watchyn_Yarwood ปีที่แล้ว +1

You beat me to it! Back in the day before I got big enough to have my own shop, shop couple blocks from me would do one in 2 hours. I thought that was super human.

• @MacPoop
      @MacPoop ปีที่แล้ว +1

And don't forget the parts are only $75🤣

• @Watchyn_Yarwood
      @Watchyn_Yarwood ปีที่แล้ว +3

@@MacPoop 🤣🤣

• @MacPoop
      @MacPoop ปีที่แล้ว +8

If I were a good 20yrs younger right now believe you me I'd be right back in the shop in a heartbeat charging $75 a MINUTE for the big fish out there (corporate operators, because fuck them for absolutely destroying private truck operators like Phil making any profits 🤬) and $75 per job for the little guys just trying to keep the lights on at the home they're lucky to sleep in 3 days a month

• @JMichldirtbag
    @JMichldirtbag ปีที่แล้ว

There’s never a dull moment under any garbage truck . Hands Down Bin there Dumped that

• @chipschweiss
    @chipschweiss ปีที่แล้ว +1

I've only done clutches on passenger cars. Just watching this job makes my muscles hurt.
    Cool to see the engineering in larger rigs. I sure wish throwout bearing on cars and light trucks could be greased! Last three clutches I've done the throwout bearing was the first to go.

• @chunkychambers1530
    @chunkychambers1530 ปีที่แล้ว

That time lapses of jacking the truck up made it look like you were pushing the floor down haha

• @basiltaylor8910
    @basiltaylor8910 ปีที่แล้ว

An eclectic way of changing a clutch on your friends Kenworth Anteater Tipper Wagon, would have put in a steel prop under the raised tipper body. What I really like is the crap and dirt in the cab ,more dirt caked on the chassis , a nice honest working wagon. One thing when removing the gear selector plate from the gearbox , put a piece of clean cardboard over the opening ,less chance of crap entering the box and ruin the gearsets.

• @KevinMartin44128
    @KevinMartin44128 ปีที่แล้ว

I'm a service employee at Ryder Truck Rentals and Leaaing. New Hampshire. I love my career ❤️

• @bobmoroney3643
    @bobmoroney3643 ปีที่แล้ว

Great memories of clutches on Peterbilt's.

• @mikemorse8592
    @mikemorse8592 ปีที่แล้ว

Short of what warren over at western truck and trailer puts out, this is one of the best videos showing what it’s like to work on rigs all day.

• @catalinmaris6887
    @catalinmaris6887 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Great video Rich,thanks! Please keep doing this real life kind of work. :)

• @tomcleghorn4005
    @tomcleghorn4005 ปีที่แล้ว

Nice video. A very honest opinion on how “awesome” clutches are. And your right nobody wants too work anymore

• @blake8346
    @blake8346 ปีที่แล้ว

happy late birthday and thank you for your videos i love learning and watching. 22 years old started my mechanics career at 18 love learning every day

• @McCraezy
    @McCraezy ปีที่แล้ว

I'm a red seal automotive tech in Ontario and was tired of the dealership / auto industry, it was really killing my passion for fixing stuff. I made the switch to truck and coach 2 years ago, and if you actually like wrenching its the way to go, I love my job now.

• @DominicDME
      @DominicDME ปีที่แล้ว

If you want even more of a challenge get into heavy equipment, the jobs are even more involved and complex. Like pulling the engine out of dozers to do oil pan gaskets. I’m a red seal truck and coach tech I worked for Kenworth for nearly 7 years, then worked for a fleet for a bit. Now I work for Caterpillar and going for my heavy equipment license as well. Love working on trucks and equipment

• @FoolOfATuque
    @FoolOfATuque ปีที่แล้ว +2

I changed the clutch on a Mini Cooper over the holidays and I never want to change the clutch on a front wheel drive vehicle ever again

• @servicioelectromecanicocue7025
    @servicioelectromecanicocue7025 ปีที่แล้ว

I'm miss this kind of videos. Thanks for come back

• @Viperman200221
    @Viperman200221 ปีที่แล้ว

Happy Birthday Rich!
    I turn the big 4 0 myself next month.

• @HogshooterHotrods
    @HogshooterHotrods ปีที่แล้ว

Awesome message to those that really want to work and have a vision for their lives, hard work can be the difference in a young persons life it will carry them if they do good quality and have a few people skills!!

• @garrettboyle5892
    @garrettboyle5892 ปีที่แล้ว

About a year ago I pulled a top cover off a 10 speed in one of those old T800s through the little shifter hole in the floor. Real bear of a job but I showed the old guys that it could be done lol. Much rather work on those Pete's with nice big shifter cover!

• @ralphmenta249
    @ralphmenta249 ปีที่แล้ว

Well said at the end. There is no robot that can replace pure grunt.

• @NoWr2Run
    @NoWr2Run ปีที่แล้ว

What a great speech at the end " FANTASTIC ". You are a very, very, generous friend, GREAT VID. SIR.

• @jacknimble1
    @jacknimble1 ปีที่แล้ว

Reminds me of how I tore my rotator cuff up by bench pressing a transfer case into place. You are probably good at age 40 but that happened to me at age 47. Enjoy the durability while you can.

• @mikedaly4198
    @mikedaly4198 ปีที่แล้ว +3

me driving past a shtbox in someones front yard "if you dont fix it, no one will"

• @nbrowser
    @nbrowser ปีที่แล้ว

Rich, well said, us wrench slingers have job security right now cause we can actually FIX things like cars n trucks of all sorts. If it wasn't for folks like us things wouldn't be moving to be exactly right. Thanks for the positive words at the end man, sure you could have as many folks in a boardroom but they can't turn a wrench and that's what makes the world go 'round.

• @289hipo
    @289hipo ปีที่แล้ว

We just used an old truck drive axle shaft with the flange cut off to remove the u-joints >> rotate the shaft to where we could rest the axle shaft against the frame rail, then use the shaft against the shaft yoke weld joint like a ramrod😉

• @LKN117
    @LKN117 ปีที่แล้ว

This video was a good reminder of why I don't miss working on trucks.

• @Roca89
    @Roca89 ปีที่แล้ว

but, but, in the service manual it SaYs yoU CaN do IT in under 2 HoUrS ! lol. loved the message at the end, cannot agree more.

• @thepeeve
    @thepeeve ปีที่แล้ว

lol I just went back in the past. I’ve done so many clutches, trannies and diffs on dump trucks. And 90% of them T800’s at that as well

• @Sens23Bruins
    @Sens23Bruins ปีที่แล้ว +1

This video reminds me why I switched from working on trucks to working on equipment lol

• @johnd21
    @johnd21 ปีที่แล้ว

Great job. Dirty but someone’s gotta do it. Old Phil don’t know how lucky he is

• @ezisbell
    @ezisbell ปีที่แล้ว

I've always done this stuff before but never at my house you're a lucky man been following you a long time thank you for all the content tape boss reminds me of that old-school 90s toy the Sonic ear thank you man you'd really do a nice job

• @alexandersjostrom5933
    @alexandersjostrom5933 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I kind of wanna say, that's a win for the cabowers..😅
    Ever thought about joining a gymnastics team?😁👌 well done!💪💪😄

• @davekulman8195
    @davekulman8195 ปีที่แล้ว

Very well said Sir I totally agree no keyboard mechanic or robot will ever be able to do what we do

• @gethinjones1348
    @gethinjones1348 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Excellent job Rich and a great message at the end 👍🏻

• @andrewpeterson5003
    @andrewpeterson5003 ปีที่แล้ว

Use to build plasma cnc machines. Tapping with a drill was the only way. Done right there wont be an issues!

• @austintalley4070
    @austintalley4070 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey Rich, tighten your Milwaukee chuck down and then slowly turn the chuck the other direction until you hear a click. That locks it

• @jasonfletcher8444
    @jasonfletcher8444 ปีที่แล้ว

friendship dues are the best currency out there.

• @289hipo
    @289hipo ปีที่แล้ว

Now he's talking about lining up the disc splines > used to (1) save old input shafts with minimal spline wear from transmission rebuilds - back then Fuller transmissions used either 2" or 1-3/4" shafts, so you'd try to salvage one of each.....(2) cut the gear off the transmission end, then, make a T-handle by welding two 4" x 3/8" bolts at right angles; (3) next weld a 3/8" nut on the trans. end of the shaft, thread the T-handle into the nut, then weld the T-handle to it. (4) set the cover, center plate(s) and discs loosely into place with a couple of bolts up top (5) manipulate the discs so you can slide your new "alignment shaft" through their hubs and into the pilot bearing (6) Finish bolting the cover to the flywheel following the recommended procedure, then remove your shaft. Trans should slide right in.

• @danand6907
    @danand6907 ปีที่แล้ว

I'm a machinist we tap with a drill all the time, I've tapped a m2.5 once in a drill just to prove how good I was while other guys were breaking those taps with a tap handle.

• @MrZimmaframe
    @MrZimmaframe ปีที่แล้ว

Good for you Rich getting back in shape. 👍

• @TurdyMcTurdface
    @TurdyMcTurdface ปีที่แล้ว

Good advice on the job market and future Drivetrains. There seems to be a misconception that electric power means no more rebuilds. As Dwight would say "false". Even if the electric powertrains gain some popularity in the HD market, the owner will want to run them longer than the diesel trucks on the market due to the increased initial cost. That will mean more rebuilds.

• @mitchel71
    @mitchel71 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I'm surprised you left the clutch on the engine. I find it way easier to unbolt the clutch through the inspection plate, and lower it on the input shaft

• @maxiumgolf1
    @maxiumgolf1 ปีที่แล้ว

Good man! Gratitude for your friendship and help

• @bobdufresne6294
    @bobdufresne6294 ปีที่แล้ว

Rich you make Mike Rowe proud. Work ethic is what it’s about.

• @bradlindsey9287
    @bradlindsey9287 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video. 👍 . And it's so true being a mechanic is a great job. A real days work. Keep up the great work

• @danfrick7028
    @danfrick7028 ปีที่แล้ว

Vote Rich for PM 2025. Keep preaching. This guy is spot on with his wisdom. Couldn't have said it better.

• @ColJonSquall1
    @ColJonSquall1 ปีที่แล้ว +1

ok, so its not just my dad and I that don't like the chucks on the milwaukee drills, lol.

• @Opy1993
    @Opy1993 ปีที่แล้ว +5

@14:18 you forgot to tighten one bolt down!! Just thought you should know, might be Phils problem now lol

• @doba78
      @doba78 ปีที่แล้ว +1

two bolts. top left and top right are both loose

• @lyleconway6795
    @lyleconway6795 ปีที่แล้ว

Awesome words at the end of the video buddy 🤘🏻🔨👌🏻

• @SOLUSIINJEKSIChanel354
    @SOLUSIINJEKSIChanel354 ปีที่แล้ว

Thank you brother for the information is vrry useful, l like it very much

• @idrisddraig2
    @idrisddraig2 ปีที่แล้ว

Very true what you say about the job opertunity but only for CA and USA (maybe a few other small execptions). Europe we have to many rulles and regulations and almost all heavy vehicle operators are huge (almost no owner drivers). There is lots of work but the pay ani't great and you almost can't work for yourself in this field. Asia and Africa there are plenty of people willing to do it cheap...even in Japan!

• @JacksonGuitarsPlayer03
    @JacksonGuitarsPlayer03 ปีที่แล้ว

I lot of those ole kenworths I hear sometimes got worn out clutch you can hear the clutch brake when the driver pushes down on clutch. I have been in old T800s wobbly shifter lever doesn’t stay straight in middle it flops to one side. My 96 W900 and 98 t800 have worn out clutches the 96 has a wobbly shifter. A lot of the older ones been worked really hard plus bashed on possibly. Not have been 100% took care of.

• @tallguy8452
    @tallguy8452 ปีที่แล้ว

Great advice Rich on getting more younger people into the trades!

• @Kowyn
    @Kowyn ปีที่แล้ว

Some people are scared silly of using taps in a drill or an impact, well I use an impact and rapid tap oil to cut all my new threads in whatever I'm making, never ever had one bust off you just gotta be careful when you start, mind you ain't using the cheap taps so that might be helping me.

• @halofour01
    @halofour01 ปีที่แล้ว

Great job showing what goes into doing that kind of work. It's definitely worth young guys getting into for at least a while. I have to say though, that the comment at the end stating that electric is a fad is a little off the mark. That's the same comment guys made 120 years ago while they were feeding their horses. I don't think Rich has time to spend keeping up on all of the effort being made to improve battery tech, but it's significant. There is of course no reason to pull perfectly good equipment off the road, so these trucks will be around a long time, BUT calling electric a fad is pretty seriously unlikely to be true. It isn't ready for long haul yet, but give it a few years. The R&D is happening.

• @anthonykorzenowsky6609
    @anthonykorzenowsky6609 ปีที่แล้ว

That "Ooohhhhhh Piece of sh.." While trying to get into place, Yeah We've all been there 🤣

• @upnorth5465
    @upnorth5465 ปีที่แล้ว

It's amazing the amount of places desperately hiring.
    I'm in the USA and I just took a job at a fleet shop and during the interview he literally told me to tell him how much I want to make per hour to start.
    I've never touched a semi truck only worked on cars trucks and suvs for 5 years and I told him $30 an hour starting is what I needed and he didn't hesitate to accept it.
    I also was offered a job at every single repair shop I applied at but was able to be picky on what shop I wanted to work for.

• @andrewdirtson1645
    @andrewdirtson1645 ปีที่แล้ว

I’ve done work like this, on a 2001 k104 (newer then the k100) and it was easier then this t800 as the cab on the k104 stopped just passed the bell housing. It’s fun doing the clutch work, unless the clutch assembly is a pain to remove, then it’s a learning curve

• @barnhouseinc
    @barnhouseinc ปีที่แล้ว

I've tried doing a clutch by putting it on the transmission shaft. It's easier but the clutch and trans combination is STUPID heavy. Rich makes this look really easy. If you plan on doing this... TAKE YOUR TIME!!😅