Valuation of plain-vanilla interest rate swap (T3-32)

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 5 ต.ค. 2024
  • [here is my XLS trtl.bz/2Q4XFCh] I breakdown the valuation of an interest rate swap into three steps: 1. The assumptions, which includes understanding the TIMELINE; e.g., we are valuing the stop at some point after origination and it has some remaining life (in this case 15 months); 2. Extracting the implied semi-annual forward rates from the LIBOR zero rate curve; and 3. Modeling the cash flows, in the first part as a series of forward rate agreements (FRAs). Discuss this video here in our FRM forum: trtl.bz/2JQ41G1.

ความคิดเห็น • 29

• @NarutoGuitar2011
    @NarutoGuitar2011 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi Bionic Turtle, just wanted to let you know that I'm a derivatives trader and first thing they made me do was trying to valuate a IRS on my own without Bloomberg or any calculator and this has come super handy.
    Thanks for all your effort.

• @cmmaier
    @cmmaier 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Your contents are amazing! Thank you for sharing these!

• @ratulbanerjee8456
    @ratulbanerjee8456 2 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

THE EXCEL SHEET IS NOT AVAILABLE , can you provide that, thanks a lot for this great effort

• @StephenDavis-y2m
    @StephenDavis-y2m 2 วันที่ผ่านมา

you saved my life. much love

• @vladanr74
    @vladanr74 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Excellent video.

• @lucasarzberger8941
    @lucasarzberger8941 ปีที่แล้ว +1

thats very helpful but what rates do i use in reality? i am working on a loan that has been swapped with 3m euribor payments. it runs until september 2024... there are no libor or euribor spot rates for that maturity. pls help

• @kaj3052
    @kaj3052 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the awesome video... really helped!

• @lzra8111
    @lzra8111 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi,
    great stuff thank you very much. One thing i always wondered how it worked in practice as opposed to in theory is the yield curve and interest rates to use. How a swap works in theory is completely clear to me (i got my CFA charter in February so that helps haha). I work in real estate and i was given the task to value a swap that is hedging a variable rate loan on a property. the floating payer pays 3M EURIBOR, while the fixed payer pays 0,208% with a maturity to 30th Sept 2024. And that is where it gets unclear to me. EURIBOR curve does not extend until that maturity, since max maturity is 12M. so i got 1M, 3M, 6M and 12M EURIBOR. So the EURIBOR forward curve determines the future floating payments, so far so good. but what rate do i use to discount those future payments? i cant use forward rates to discount and i have no spot rates above 12M. pls help and sorry for the long message! cheers all the best

• @zj7396
      @zj7396 ปีที่แล้ว

could you rollover at the end of 12 M?

• @KL-db1sx
    @KL-db1sx 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks a lot for the amazing content!
    In row 14, I think you are calculating the forward rates p.a not s.a. That's why you are again dividing them by 2 when computing the floating CFs. So the "s.a" written in brackets in row 14 are confusing.

• @enriquemignoni9609
    @enriquemignoni9609 ปีที่แล้ว

great stuff! thank you

• @TuanYen-xz4jb
    @TuanYen-xz4jb 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Why dont use boostraping for calculating forward rates?

• @claytonmckenna8655
    @claytonmckenna8655 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi, can you link the video or explain how to get the future rates from the spot rates??

• @PedroJardo
    @PedroJardo 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Were did you get the Libor curve, and how much interest rate was at prior 6mo? My bloomberg searches leads me to a curve with max 1y rate, could I get the GOVT bonds yield curve for that? Thanks a lot

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

this is illustrates Hull example 7-1 (see label) so the libor curve is entirely fictional-illustrative

• @PedroJardo
      @PedroJardo 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@bionicturtle Ah ok. But if I would get the real rates, could I get the govt Yield curve?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@PedroJardo yes of course, you could really use any rates (it's a function of the swap obviously)

• @En3my0fTheState
    @En3my0fTheState 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Hello. I need some help on basic swap problems. Is there a way for you to take a glimpse at those?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  5 ปีที่แล้ว

we have a support forum at www.bionicturtle.com/forum where you can probably get some help (including I monitor it daily). Specifically, in the free forum, swaps are discussed in P1.T3 Financial Markets & Products at www.bionicturtle.com/forum/forums/p1-t3-financial-markets-products-30.6/

• @hamadrsalsalem9416
    @hamadrsalsalem9416 5 ปีที่แล้ว

The discount factor based on which rate?

• @MacGuffin1234
      @MacGuffin1234 3 ปีที่แล้ว

based on e ^ (-t * LIBOR at t)

• @noahcahill339
    @noahcahill339 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Is the second method in this video a zero coupon valuation method?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hull calls it "valuation in terms of bond prices." I don't think it would be called a zero-coupon method because you are treating the swap as two coupon-bearing bonds (one fixed and one floating) where the coupons are netted at each cash flow settlement date

• @noahcahill339
      @noahcahill339 5 ปีที่แล้ว

If you had this swap but had to value it using a 'zero coupon valuation method' how would you go about doing this?@@bionicturtle

• @jinrongliang4726
    @jinrongliang4726 4 ปีที่แล้ว

thank you sir!

• @sare5943
    @sare5943 6 ปีที่แล้ว

Could you please share the excel file ?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  6 ปีที่แล้ว

As I almost always provide, a link to the XLS is found ABOVE in the video's description; ie, "[ here is my XLS trtl.bz/2Q4XFCh ]"

• @cmmaier
    @cmmaier 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Your contents are amazing! Thank you for sharing these!