45K Mile (+70K KMs) Review 2018 Triumph Bonneville T120

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 6 ต.ค. 2024
  • Hey Ya'll
    So here is my 45K mile or 72K kilometer review of my Triumph Bonneville T120.
    This is about 18 months of ownership and I have logged some serious miles on my T120. Great bike but please be cautious about some of the soft-spots on the new water cooled Bonnie's .
    I love this machine and hope you review my footage and declare some love for it too... Or not!
    How about some info on what I've done to my bike:
    Suspension Upgrades - • Suspension Upgrades fo...
    Power Mods - • 2018 Triumph Bonnevill...
    Tubeless conversion - • Tubeless Spokes on a 2...
    Chain and Sprockets (first go) - • 2018 Triumph Bonnevill...
    Touring tips - • Triumph Bonneville T12...
    BIG SHOUT OUT to my local dealer; Cyclewise, Triumph of Vermont! These guys bring a small town feel to the Triumph ownership experience. They do such a great job in making me feel like I belong to the Triumph family. I highly recommend checking out their inventory and joining the Triumph family through them! - www.cyclewisev...
    Thanks for tuning in and subscribing!!! I love riding this bike and having you folks as an audience has been stellar!!!
    Check out my friends and their awesome media!
    Maryland Moto - marylandmoto.w...
    Amen Moto - Amenmoto.com
    Chasing the Horizon Podcast - horizon.bmwmoa....
    Special Case Customs - / specialcasecustoms
    Cafe Racer podcast - www.caferacerp...
    Be sure to like and subscribe!
    Always love to hear from my subscribers! Email me at Jedz@Jedzmoto.com!
    Ask about getting your hands on some of my JedzMoto stickers!
    See you out on the road!
    Best,
    -Jedz

ความคิดเห็น • 42

• @Jedz123
    @Jedz123  3 ปีที่แล้ว

80K mile review is up: th-cam.com/video/_EZ-np6dADs/w-d-xo.html

• @coleythailand999
    @coleythailand999 4 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Thanks for this. I have 37,000 kms on my t120 in 3 years. I feel like you do about how great the bike is and I am impressed by your patience when you have had problems. It is the character of this bike that keeps us loving it. Good luck and look forward to seeing more reviews over the next months/years.

• @KyleP133
    @KyleP133 4 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Got 18k on a '17 street scrambler... it has been flawless so far. I've actually been super impressed with the reliability so far. Hopefully my gearbox doesn't suffer the same fate.

• @richardcasey7521
    @richardcasey7521 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I own a 2020 Triumph T120 and have read about the transmission issue with 6th gear. My personal view is that trouble with 6th gear could be caused by using 6th at too low of a speed. I seem to spend the majority of my riding time in 3rd and 4th gear. I’ll shift into 5th at 55 mph and into 6th at 70mph. 6th feels like an overdrive hence lugging the engine in 6th at too low of a road speed could impose excessive shock loads on the larger of the two gear wheels comprising the 6th gear ratio. This is my personal opinion and my remedy is to stay out of 6th unless the bike is at 70mph. I love this bike and believe that anything can break if it is over stressed. I’ve been riding for 54 years and have been aware of a list of bikes that have had gearbox troubles… The Triumph is not the first and is amongst the least daunting to repair.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  ปีที่แล้ว +1

I could buy ito that but I have been running Thruxton R/Speed twin gearing (or shorter with a bigger rear sprocket than those bikes, same front) from day one so my 6th has been geared like 5th the whole time I've owned the bike. The first year was tough, in fact it's been a tough ownership in general. I put it through the same regiment I have with my Japanese bikes and its just not as reliable. Asking +1200 miles days which means it's running 19 hours in 24 hours, a few times a year. Well it was, as I don't trust it for the big rides anymore. I've only been riding for 15 years but have half million miles under my belt with putting 100k of those miles on 3 bikes, my T120, FZ1 and Bandit 1200... I'll tell you there is a clear difference between the Japanese Standards and this British Standard. Anyway as I tell everyone, the Bonneville is my favorite bike to own but it's not the best. Cheers,

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  ปีที่แล้ว

My 100K mile review: th-cam.com/video/J9Re-i7tUK0/w-d-xo.html

• @eldorado5686
    @eldorado5686 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Hey man! I follow you on the t120 Forum on FB. I started the highest mileage thread. Great vid, man!

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey Eldo! Thanks for tuning in!!! Looking forward to seeing what happens for next year!

• @AmenMoto
      @AmenMoto 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Jedz123 That's a good thread

• @Jedz123
    @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว +5

So do note that my Triumph is clear with the dealer!!! They did a compression check, cylinder head leak down check, cooling system pressure check, oil analysis, coolant analysis and another Valve check... They found the coolant level too high in the reservoir and think that caused a high pressure situation and caused it to bleed out onto the exhaust and I just so happened to smell it easier with the huge wind screen. They told me the motor threw some of the best compression numbers they have seen and the bike is an awesome shape for the miles. So they dropped the oil and coolant, regreased some fittings and threw in a detail clean and lubed my chain. They had to charge me since it wasn't a warranty claim... $140 USD which I think is totally fair since they basically re did my 40K service.
    They also re-flashed my ECU with a performance map now available from Triumph for my pods and exhaust setup... I guess.

• @fpvspin1605
    @fpvspin1605 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Very, very good video Jed, whilst I haven't had the issues with mine (2016 and only 7500klms lol) I feel the exact same way I will keep it until it dies it may even out last me :). funny enough I just bought a secondhand bandit 1250s that will be my thrasher. :) Love your videos mate.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks! I have a FZ1. Can't beat a Japanese inline 4 super bike! Glad you enjoyed the video!

• @randy1203
    @randy1203 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Great view behind the handle bar night ride!! As soon as I sell my 67GTO I'll grab me a T100!!! Man I can't wait much longer. Be safe out there!

• @tarustrader
    @tarustrader 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I left a 50k comment on the Amen Moto page that you may or may not see so decided to also leave it here on your direct page...
    Pretty awesome that you did 50k miles within 2 years of ownership. That is a lot of riding and that is a great way to live.
    Next bike? How about a Scrambler 1200?
    Q. Like you I am a bit aggressive on the bike throttle so have a pertinent question about what you did for new engine break in. I just bought a new T120 with 3 miles on the clock. I'm of the opinion to break it in hard and change the oil at 100 and 500 miles. The factory prescribes a gentle break in with oil change at 500 miles then the next at 10k. How did you break in the engine on your bike when new?
    Thanks. Wishing you another care free 50k miles on yours and no future transmission repair.

• @dug_c
    @dug_c 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Round Headlights Rule!

• @dmelson7502
    @dmelson7502 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I'm at 10475 on my '17 t120, changed oil at 5300 when I saw your transmission woes. No warranty (2nd owner)that I'm aware of and worried about my scoot.
    I'd also like to mention that I love this bike.I'm pretty sure I can't afford to rebuild the transmission though.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

At 64K miles now and still going strong! Great Motorcycle, I plan to run it until it won't run anymore! I think the transmission issue is a pretty intermittent issue as I am friends with 3 other guys that have T120s and their transmissions are still in good shape.

• @stevesmitherman5757
    @stevesmitherman5757 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Noticed you have a steering damper. Who makes it- how much does it cost? I did a test ride on a 2019 T 120, I thought the handling was very good stock. I have a 2014 air cooled EFI T100. Loved this video. 45 k review is the highest ive seen. Lots of good info. in your video. I will likely sell my T 100 and buy a T120 this year.

• @spark893
    @spark893 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I actually really enjoyed listening to what you had to say, it wasnt just anothe review video whare you hear pretty much the same thing. Good honest straight up . I love this bike and I think I'm going to buy one this year its really my dream bike . At the same time I like the speed twin also?

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks! Glad to hear that you may actually grab a Triumph! Really love my Bonneville, I just can't stop riding the thing(well I did because it's winter now in Vermont). As for choosing between the T120 and Speed twin... Going to be a tough call, really depends on what you doing with the bike. Are you a more spirited rider that rides a few hundred miles a week with fair weather commuting? I would recommend the Speed Twin. If your looking for a more do it all bike that you can light duty tour on with a little more Utility at the expense of some weight and high HP the T120 is a better option. The T120 fits my riding situation perfectly. I hope you find a bike that suits you well!!! Thanks, good luck and have a great new year Paul!

• @dougfielding8215
    @dougfielding8215 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

I watched this to see what I'm missing with my fine running Kawasaki W800. I'm missing sheared 6th gear teeth, radiator problems (W800 is air cooled), coolant leaks from cracking water hoses. My bike has character but this kind of character I can do without.

• @billycaspersghost7528
      @billycaspersghost7528 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Sounds like my view , i bought a Moto Guzzi V7 simply because it is air cooled ,push rod 2 valve motor with shaft drive. No water ,no shims ,no final drive chain and sprockets.
      My only complaint is that with so little to do why my dealer wanted so much money for its first (and last) dealer service.
      Should i ever need character I have a `56 BSA A7 in the garage... when I pull on the front brake lever it actually seems to go faster.... makes for very interesting situations.

• @beepbop6697
    @beepbop6697 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Man I'd really like one of these bikes, but the reliability though... Thanks for the honest reviews.

• @fishingwiththomas
    @fishingwiththomas 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I can't believe how many kms you have done and you don't ride through winter. I just bought a 2010 Scrambler with 31000kms on it. Have only done 1400kms on it since March 1. In Australia riding season is all year. Best I've done is 30000kms in 9mths back in the mid 90's on a BMW R100GS.

• @tsmgguy
    @tsmgguy 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Yeah, chains and sprockets should be replaced at the same time. Doing otherwise if false economy. If one or the other is worn, it'll cause early wear on the new component. Sprocket tooth hooks are an indicator that the chain is too loose, and the sprocket worn beyond limits. FWIW.

• @keithert
    @keithert 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Are you considering buying an extended warranty? A dealer told me their cost on a 3 year was 557 and they wanted to make 200 additional.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Never thought about Keith. Ill bring it up to my dealer next time I'm in there!

• @AmenMoto
    @AmenMoto 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

17:35 that's my bike on the right :)

• @UncleWally3
    @UncleWally3 3 ปีที่แล้ว

From Prince Edward Island; this sure makes me miss Vermont.

• @FrenchCrow
    @FrenchCrow 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Not bad for a Thai motorcycle 😈
    More seriously thanks for sharing. Now I would be curious to see a T120 completely disassembled at 100000 km to check the internal parts. I remember the Trident 900 passing that test brilliantly in the 90s, which convinced me buying one.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

HAHAH I know right!?!?! I'm actually pretty happy with my bike but there is definitely some things to worry about! I won't be disassembling my T120 at 100,000KMS or 62K miles unless Triumph want to do it for me and throw a replacement motor in! I'll likely be across the Continent at that point for I have a nearly 10K mile ride planned for it next June.

• @FrenchCrow
      @FrenchCrow 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@Jedz123 I would not do it either lol. Complete disassembly is typically something made by a motorcycle magazine...
      10Kmile? Quite a ride! Have a safe trip.

• @FrenchCrow
      @FrenchCrow 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@Jedz123 I am very interested in the T120 reliability because I can't afford a brand new one so I plan to buy a 2-3 years used one, possibly.

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@FrenchCrow Well I will be producing reviews as long as I own the bike so stay tuned! Of course not much riding right now with snow and ice on the roads...

• @trailrider1980
    @trailrider1980 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Seriously considering a triumph, how much have you spent on reliability issues?

• @genedq
    @genedq 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Enjoy your journey, do I see carbs??

• @briantuttle8134
      @briantuttle8134 4 ปีที่แล้ว

They are false, not real (other reviews on TH-cam)

• @organicox80
    @organicox80 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I'm shocked and stunned! where's yu cruiser pegs add on gone ??

• @Jedz123
      @Jedz123  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey buddy! I actually use them but only put them on when they are needed for long trips. I keep them off most of the time for it's a PITA to wheel my bike in and out of my shop (just a standard door) with them on. Cheers!

• @organicox80
      @organicox80 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Jedz123 AAAHAA! so that's it. Hey I just discovered you have an email address so sentcha a message. THANKS

• @dwightbernheimer331
    @dwightbernheimer331 4 ปีที่แล้ว

A Fucking Harley woulda held up better... you have more patience than I do LOL

• @MrImarcus
    @MrImarcus 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I think you lost your transmission because you let your chain and sprocket get so bad...