How Channels in OpenTX work: mapping and changing the order (Taranis, Qx7 and T16)

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 5 ก.ย. 2024
  • You can see more tips on OpenTX here: • RC Basics - Why we hav...
    You can see more R/C related videos on the channel - / painless360
    Looking for a video on a specific topic? All of my videos are arranged into easy to use playlists and have lots of text tags on them too for easy searching.
    Keep up to date on my projects and builds on social media - / painless360 and / painless360
    If this video was helpful or you liked the content then please consider subscribing and supporting the channel by visiting / painless360 or you can support me by donating using paypal.me/pain...
    Be aware that any comments that are rude, disrespectful or use bullying or threatening language will be deleted. Pedantry isn't encouraged either. This channel is all about helping others and passing on advice and ideas so please comment in that spirit.
    Thanks for watching, please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE and Happy Flying!

ความคิดเห็น • 88

• @ChrisBalmforth
    @ChrisBalmforth 4 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Well explained as usual, especially changing the channel order. When I'm setting up a new model with OpenTX I start with the Input page as you advise, then I jump to the Output page and label the channel outputs eg, AIL, ELE, THR, RUD etc. That makes it a bit easier when I then move to the Mixer page because all the channels are now labelled. A tiny thing, but it helps me!

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I agree. I do think that OpenTX should copy the mixer names into the output tab. Would make it easier... happy flying!

• @leslieshapiro2225
    @leslieshapiro2225 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Lee You helped me out when I brought a bix 3 and Installed a Eagle Tree Vector with a 3 - Pos switch ❤️ Plus’s things like throttle timers/rates/ special functions/ sounds.....etc with out YOU and your easy to follow step by step instructions helping people “new and old” to this hobby actually understand how to set up their new Model/ radio / receiver. I purchased a Taranis plus’s radio after watching your video (which I still use today) I just want to say a big THANK YOU. pS I’m sticking with Taranis 👍

• @ajosepi1976
    @ajosepi1976 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

You can also edit each channel and go into the expo screen and change it there. Make sure you are on the right channel number and in the expo screen go to source and move the stick that you want it to be on. For some this is easier because they can't keep Ele, Ail, Thr, and Rud straight in their head, but they know "I want this stick to make it go right." Great video.

• @fcass
    @fcass 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I didn't need this one, but I just wanted to point out that you are an excellent teacher my friend. The hobby is blessed to have you explaining these sort of things for everyone. Well done. Brilliant. Cheers. -(VRMan)Fred C.

• @eladdov8601
    @eladdov8601 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thank you for this video, I have been a lifelong JR/spektrum user and just switched to the jumper t16 after my trusty old jr9303 gave up. this video really helped me understand the input and output pages on opentx.
    The presentation is exceptional, short and to the point!

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Glad it helped. The start of the OpenTX series works from the basics for those coming from Spektrum/Futaba or other radios and covered what you need to know in the first few videos.. Best of luck!

• @cmulder002
    @cmulder002 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

30 years ago the multiplex europa sprint already supported "channel mapping" the same way it does servo reverse ; you just plugged the wire from the stick pot into another port on the pcb inside (or turn it round for reverse)
    Still have mine in use :)

• @eeck62
    @eeck62 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank you! I am new to OpenTX and have been wondering how this all worked !

• @leeseaman4193
    @leeseaman4193 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Many thanks Lee for yet another super post, for us newbies with Jumpers,Q's or plunging first time into Open TX there are dozens of really handy tips and processes here for sure. Having just changed to a Jumper and and added at your reccomendation the very compact Kopilot all I've to do now is decide for the three way Channel 5 whether to set it up the order on inputs or the mixer.

• @NATGEOANDSTUFFPaulbrannan
    @NATGEOANDSTUFFPaulbrannan 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

great as allways Lee thankyou.i love to qx7 tutorials on those i dont know about.

• @twonkit
    @twonkit 2 ปีที่แล้ว

thank you very much, for taking the time to make these videos .im back flying, your a star.

• @terrydonscheski2415
    @terrydonscheski2415 2 ปีที่แล้ว

OMG thank you so much, I have struggled with this for so long! Love you work!

• @fonwoolridge
    @fonwoolridge ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks! Demystified a little more of the Taranis for me LOL!

• @dedeirvan9537
    @dedeirvan9537 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Nice information 🤘

• @MCsCreations
    @MCsCreations 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Awesome tips, Lee! Thanks a lot! 😊

• @dronereviewman9580
    @dronereviewman9580 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I love when you post stuff like this!!! My Qx7 is my life!!!! Love learning how to do everything!!! Thanks brother and hope your having a great year so far!!!!!!!!

• @qkidamon
    @qkidamon 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Hi everybody. I've just bought a Jumper T16 and when i've updated T16's multiprotocol module firmware, i had to choose a specific channel order for the firmware file. It's a must to use that channel order when using infernal multiprotocol module or can i change order in mixers page and keeps all working ? Thanks.

• @meli2291
    @meli2291 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Sir, thank you so so much!!! You really have saved me!! thank you!!

• @HanZie82
    @HanZie82 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thank you very much for this video.
    Exactly what i was wondering about, clearly explained.
    Well done, and keep the wonderful work going!

• @spartan-fpv6936
    @spartan-fpv6936 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Gday Lee, great tip Lee for opentx radios.👍🛸

• @jwdrone512
    @jwdrone512 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Yes that's what I was looking for. I didn't know that. Thanks

• @438fpv
    @438fpv 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Perfectly explained. I've got a random question, currently building a little rover to play about with over the winter, I'm wanting the throttle to have full stick throw but only have fowerd, then flick a switch to go reverse. Also is there a way of making the sticks control 1 servo, then flick another switch to control a completely differant servo?

• @Painless360

Yep, check out my RC car playlist:)

• @kanenstuff
    @kanenstuff 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I use ch16 for my rssi on models that dont have rssi output and in bf change it to aux 12 and get rssi info on the osd lots of great things on opentx im still a bit of a hack but your vids are a great help project blue falcom was also great but sad he passed youtube is a great way to learn

• @witneydiggersrc3251
    @witneydiggersrc3251 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Another helpful video, thanks

• @justforkicks6755
    @justforkicks6755 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video, love your channel. In your opinion, if you were getting your first radio, and planned on mostly flying fixed wings, which would be the easiest to use and the most cost effective, if you were doing bind n fly, with safe, and lemon TX receivers for plug and play? I have the Jumpertx 8, and I just cant get it to work properly with gyros etc.

• @Painless360

If you're looking for multiprotocol support for those BNF models then I'd consider the RadioMaster TX16s. See my Kit Picks 2020 video for my latest picks.. Best of luck!

• @Michael-ne6iv
    @Michael-ne6iv 2 ปีที่แล้ว

You are the transmitter Whisperer. Thank you kindly I hope to solve my problem. One question are they set up for the United States mode 2 or setup for mode 1?....Thank you kindly. I'm going to take your classes

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  2 ปีที่แล้ว

Mode 2 is usual unless otherwise stated but most radios allow you to swap modes with a little effort.. Happy flying

• @javierruiz2537
    @javierruiz2537 4 ปีที่แล้ว

HI Painless360-- thank you for your videos! When using the X9d 2019 taranis, channels 1-4 work in the output channel monitor. I set up a 3 switch toggle for channel 10 for the s6r receiver, but when I flip the 3 toggle switch, it doesnt show in the output channel monitor on the taranis so i cant control the flight modes. Same thing with the gain knob on channel 9. What am I doing wrong?

• @r.scottpage2840
    @r.scottpage2840 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Key points missed. Set rates, Expo, and throttle arm in the Inputs tab. Never change channel direction (negative value) in Inputs tab or the trims will be reversed. Use Mixer for mixing - not for rates or expo. This has been the case since we moved beyond ER9x.

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

See my full Open mix school series. This is not intended to cover those topics.

• @ronchampagne8484
    @ronchampagne8484 4 ปีที่แล้ว

It appears that channel numbers also appear on the input page . So why then do you need BOTH a input page AND a mixer page ? Other than mixing a channel from multiple inputs I don't see the reason to have both .
    If you have a straight forward setup with no mixing of multiple inputs for one channel could you simply leave the mixer page blank if all the channels are allocated in the input page ?

• @Painless360

In simple models it does appear like duplication but Che k out the videos in the Opentx mix school to see how much power they add to complex setups.. Happy flying

• @ec-cts6602
    @ec-cts6602 4 ปีที่แล้ว

With your videos, I have learned a lot about open tx, and how to do almost everything. But really what I am missing is to find a video that explains to me which are the most usual mixtures that are used, that is, a configuration of an airplane model such as a high wing trainer, or a low wing, or a warbird.
    Learn to configure a model completely, not loose parts that you do not know if it is what to apply or are just examples.
    Could you make a video of this style? Thanks for your dedication.
    Carlos (Madrid-Spain)

• @Painless360

You watched my OpenTX Simpler plane setup videos? Or its companion - OpenTX Complex Plane setup? They are both on the channel...

• @ec-cts6602
      @ec-cts6602 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 Sorry. I have explained very badly. I did not want to say how to configure the servos. I was referring to the most common mixtures, for example: Correct the adverse yaw effect, rudder-elevator, etc. Many of your videos explain how to do it, but for those like me who are starting again, an explanation of which are the most normal mixtures used is missing.
      Your video of: OpenTX Complex 'Plane Setup Tips is a great advance and it is magnificent, in fact I have followed how to configure a model based on this video, but (in my point of view) it lacks to explain the mixes that would complete the programming . Those of us who don't really know what mixes to put on have learned how to make them, but we don't know what mixes need to be made (the most normal mixtures that should be put on any plane -on the whole-).
      I hope I have explained better. If in some of your videos you explain the mixes that must be made to a model, excuse me, but I have been unable to see it.
      Greetings and again thank you very much. You are serving as a guide, as you can not imagine.

• @Painless360

Ah I see! Nice idea. What mixes would you like included in a video?

• @ec-cts6602
      @ec-cts6602 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 I thought like a beginner pilot. The basic mixes of an airplane to start; then some for advanced pilot; and any others you may think appropriate, for example setting up a warbird plane, or an aerobatic plane. This can really lead to several videos, because I think that in one video you could not include so much pretense together.
      But always thinking of a set of mixes that cover all aspects of configuring an airplane to put it in flight.
      For example, think that you have an airplane that has ailerons (2 servos), that has flaps (1 or 2 servos), with a normal tail, that you want to have several flight modes, a smooth one, a medium one and a nervous or aggressive one, or modes of take-off, cruise, landing. If I think about it, I think of all the basic possible mixes I would need to get this plane up in the air, with minimal guarantees.
      This would be a type of basic configuration, which every aircraft has to have.
      After this type of airplane, variations can be made, such as V-tail, retractable gear, airbrakes, etc., etc. Any other possibility
      Thanks again.

• @ripperfpv9880
    @ripperfpv9880 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Any chance of some stickers lee please pal 🙏

• @Painless360

I always have some on me at any event I go to and they are a reward for certain levels of Patreon too...

• @Mike-01234
    @Mike-01234 ปีที่แล้ว

Took a break from RC since 2021 back now and of course forget everything. I needed to map certain controls differently because I'm using a stabilizer receiver. I changed the order to match the receiver on the input page. Was I supposed to do that on the mixer page instead? It works I was able to edit each one change it.

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  ปีที่แล้ว

Use the mixer to change the order. Best of luck

• @filiped7298
    @filiped7298 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Is because of videos like these, that I’m a happy subscriber to your Patreon page. Out of curiosity: have you made a video to use a Frsky (opentx) to control an RC car? I would like to use my qx7 to control all vehicles and not only quads

• @Painless360

Thank you for being a Patreon! Check out my cars and trucks playlist for all my tips and reviews. Pop me a PM on Patreon is you're struggling and we get sort it out.. Happy flying!

• @DouglasPaterson
    @DouglasPaterson 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for this, very useful. I've been flying quads for approx 18 months and this stuff is still a little opaque. Question for you though: I only have AETR set up in inputs, but the rest of the switches straight into the mixer tab without them also being added to inputs. It works fine. Is there any downside to this approach? Or should I also set up all the other channels (buzzer for example) in the inputs page as well as the mixer?

• @Painless360

That is fine. See my Betaflight BNF setup video. If you are doing all of the 'smart' stuff in the flight controller then you don't need the input pieces for switches..

• @DouglasPaterson
      @DouglasPaterson 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 thanks for that!

• @recycl0ps890
    @recycl0ps890 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Great channel! Thank you so much. I bought a beta fpv advance kit 2. I would love to fly in mode 3 stick... it comes in mode 2. I’m not certain where to flip the controls. Is it in profile? Is it in input? Or is it in mix?

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Radio settings menu.. Best of luck

• @recycl0ps890
      @recycl0ps890 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 got it working. Thank you very much

• @jonathanblackmore986
    @jonathanblackmore986 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Lee any ideas why throttle override would not be available in the special functions page of open TX version 2.3.4 . Flashed the X9D Plus for the Christmas holidays for something to do ......

• @Painless360

Not sure. I'm about to play with it and a T16 so let me check...

• @jonathanblackmore986
      @jonathanblackmore986 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 Thanks Lee. Happy new year fella.

• @funKdatFPV
    @funKdatFPV 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I am not able to see the sticks move in the channel monitor on the models main page. What could be the issue?

• @Painless360

Could be a few things. If you've not added the inputs to any of the channels in the mixer screen would be the first thing I'd check.. Use the model wizards to setup a model first time to avoid the majority of pitfalls.. best of luck!

• @malakiblunt
    @malakiblunt 3 ปีที่แล้ว

this doesn't work on my T16S i dont get a sub menu. Ive just worked it out you have to hold the enter until the menu appears

• @gaidkey1128
    @gaidkey1128 3 ปีที่แล้ว

how do you reverse a channel.say pitch forward is pushing you in pitch reverse.how do you reverse that?

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  3 ปีที่แล้ว

There are three ways in OpenTX. You can change it using the polarity of the control amount in INPUTS, MIXER or by reversing the channel in the OUTPUTS screen. Check out the OpenTX Mix School playlist for more detail.

• @rcinfinity9842
    @rcinfinity9842 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I have a flywoo explorer LR v2 and it came with a weird order, I just moved the 2 culprits in the input page... It works fine but I'm worried about its gps rescue function not working properly. Is this the case? I haven't tried the rth yet

• @Painless360

Changing the order in the inputs screen won't change the order sent to the reciever. You need to change the mixer screen for that... Happy flying

• @matt79hz
    @matt79hz 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Can't work out why ch3 throttle is attached to my selection aileron stick. And vice versa..
    Tx16s is difficult.... 🤔

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  3 ปีที่แล้ว

OpenTX is complicated at first. Check out my Op mix school series...

• @rubenvaneupen7327
    @rubenvaneupen7327 3 ปีที่แล้ว

I want to output the throttle of a buddy/slave radio to the channel11/aux11 on my (crossfire/ghost) receiver. This cannot be done by the easy TAER mapping method in open tx. How can I set up the input and mixer pages so that this is possible? I guess the buddy radio for example can already copy/map the throttle to his channel 11. And then I can input it just like that? Not sure if that is necessary and maybe I can directly select the throttle from the buddy radio as source for my input/mixer channel 11?

• @Painless360
      @Painless360  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Easily. See my videos on setting up the trainer function... best of luck

• @rubenvaneupen7327
      @rubenvaneupen7327 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 ​ We figured it out. 'Tr3' as source indeed and then trainer function always ON and some trainer setting to 'sticks.'

• @Maacccc..
    @Maacccc.. 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi good day. can i ask some thing. planing to buy a fpv drone. but tbh i have no idea when it comes to fpv flying. and im on a tight budget. so here's the list of the things im planing to buy. Taranis QX7. Eachine VR D3 FPV Goggles 3. and a drone. but i have no idea what kind of drone. if i buy a BNF drone it will work with the transmitter and the googles? if i buy 3 of them. it will fly as is? or i need to buy other stuff

• @Painless360

Check out my 'Introduction to FPV' playlist for the basics.. I hope that helps.. Happy flying

• @FPV420.
    @FPV420. 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Dear Lee, Thank you for your video. After a few days of trying to solve my new delta plane setup with Arduplane (not my first delta) and FRSky R9 Mini (sbus) I really need your help.
    In Arduplane, radio calibration, no matter which channel I assign to THR, the slider (in mission planner) for THR will always be the roll one. If I change RCMAP mapping it still will be this channel (roll) that will control the throttle so the motor moves. I am lost. In Taranis QX7 INPUT I have TAER. In MIX I have AETR, but the issue is no matter how I rearrange the channel Arduplane will always take the roll as Throttle. This is causing issues since as soon as I start the plane the ESC will go into programming mode. Any idea how to fix this? Thank you.

• @Painless360

I don't use the R9M here. Can you not just move the channels in the mixer on the radio?

• @FPV420.
      @FPV420. 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 I solved the issue by changing the options in servo output section.

• @FromAboveAndBeyondChannel
    @FromAboveAndBeyondChannel 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thnxs good explained. :-)

• @zackattack91000
    @zackattack91000 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thxs for this

• @abidikar
    @abidikar 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Taranis 2.2.2 abandoned old Receivers....??? No Biding at all.

• @stevecoomes2994
    @stevecoomes2994 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi I just wanted to ask could you do a video on! How to set up a FrSky X-Lite for a helicopter please ? Tia Steve

• @Painless360

If the copter is flybarless the. This video will help you get the channels in the right order for the controller on the heli. If its a fkybar heli then I've made a video on how the swash mix works in Opentx. I hope that helps.. Happy flying!

• @Painless360

th-cam.com/video/u-NykZnjRM0/w-d-xo.html may be of some help now too..

• @Mike-01234
    @Mike-01234 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Just installed opentx from FrSky OS I can't even get the throttle on the correct stick. Out of the box it's setup for throttle on the right stick I want it on the left. Looks to me Opentx targets the quad racing community not so much for fixed wing flying.

• @Painless360

You probably just need to change the radio mode in the radio setup. Best of luck

• @Mike-01234
      @Mike-01234 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Painless360 I got it all working thanks for the video really helped. openTX isn't for the type of person who doesn't like to tinker with radios, but once you get past the initial shock of trying to understand the basics really is powerful radio firmware. I had FRos for long time really hindered the controls like the POTS on the back side of the radio were setup like logical switches with openTX I can actually use those wheels on the back to steer a nose gear. If want to get into scale models this is the radio to have IMO endless configuration. Unfortuntly have to forget about how a traditional radio works start over the openTX instructions are not well written for first time users not surprising typical of engineering types who wrote it. Your video filled in the gaps I use the Companion software to program my radio much easier to do it on the screen instead of using the wheels.

• @grumpyjohntxredneckrc6346
    @grumpyjohntxredneckrc6346 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Howdy, I Got A Dumb Question About Open TX? Can You Set One Up For Flyin A DJI 3 Pro or Such? Instead Of Using Their Controller... Thanks Mate

• @Painless360

I dont have any DJI kit here so probably not a best person to ask. Sorry I can't help on this one...

@@Painless360 Thanks ;~)

• @438fpv
      @438fpv 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The transmitter needs to talk to the reciever in the phantom, so you would need to change the reciever in the phantom to whatever module you have in the trans

@@438fpv Thanks! :~)

• @bobfin4291
    @bobfin4291 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Cheer's now I know Y

• @NeoAmor9
    @NeoAmor9 4 ปีที่แล้ว

One glaring unnecessary challenge in all this. Is the muddle of terms used.
    MANY MANY users use both Betaflight and Open TX for multi-rotors. Having to "convert" irrelevant and inapplicable "Airplane terms" like Aileron and Rudder into the relevant quadcopter (Roll, Pitch, Yaw) terms EVERY time we define or redefine something, is a waste of time and effort. It feels cluttered and inefficient.
    Maybe there are enough quadcopter pilots now. Where both Betaflight (et al) and Open TX could branch into "Multi-Rotor versions" of the software/firmware. Where no irrelevant terminology has to be translated nor dealt with.
    Could even be just one version. Except with the added option to turn off terminology that doesn't at-all, apply.
    Imagine being a brand-spankin'-new quad pilot:
    "Roll Pitch and Yaw are the copter directions/headings."
    "Then WTF is AETR1234?!? At least "R" means "Roll". Right?"
    "Actually no. "R" means Rudder. Which is really Yaw. AETR is Roll Pitch Throttle Yaw. In that order."
    "Why didn't they just CALL it RPTY1234 instead? Do I have to memorize that translation to configure this stuff efficiently?"
    "Actually yeah... Ya do... And just wait til we start on the radio."