Setting Up And Running The T500

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 25 มี.ค. 2020
  • Visit the LoveBrewing website:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/
    In this video, Richard shows you how to set up the Still Spirits Turbo 500 (T5000) and discusses how to get up and running.
    If you would like to purchase the T500 Water Flow Regulator (Boxed) then check it out here:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/t500-wa...
    You can see the video about the regulator here:
    • T500 Water Flow Regulator
    You'll find the T500 Stainless Steel Water Flow Controller Valve here:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/t500-wa...
    Richard also mentions the Spiritworks - Granular Carbon Filter which you can find here:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/spiritw...
    We also have a huge range of Still Spirits flavourings here:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/still-s...
    The Spiritworks - Distilling Conditioner here:
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/distill...
    This video is part of the 'Gin Making With The Still Spirits Air Still' playlist - see it here:
    • Making Gin With The St...
    If you are interested in Gin Making then you might want to attend our 'Gin Experience'
    help at our Chesterfield and Liverpool stores
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/courses...
    Or see this video
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjy8X...
    You might like to see some other courses we have
    www.lovebrewing.co.uk/courses/
    If you enjoyed this video don't forget to Like and Follow Us to get notice of the latest video releases. Please leave a comment if you need any further guidance. You'll find us quick to respond.
    You can also pop over to our Social Media pages and take part in some of our prizes draws and competitions:
    Facebook: / lovebrewing
    Twitter: / lovebrewing
  • แนวปฏิบัติและการใช้ชีวิต

ความคิดเห็น • 103

• @rchuso
    @rchuso 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I bought the same still a couple years ago. Thanks for the additional information.

• @Paul280355
    @Paul280355 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Not used for a long time and couldn’t remember connection so looked at your info and not only was it great for this but also your info of the best temperature to run at, your a great tutor, thank you so very much

• @ogshaggymac5972
    @ogshaggymac5972 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Good work mate,best explanation on the T500 run I've seen yet.
    Rob from OZ

• @danielleelfstrom5826
    @danielleelfstrom5826 3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Love your videos thank you for your guidance.im still unpacking and setting up.
    Im finding it all daunting and yet exciting

• @cgoody9913
      @cgoody9913 11 หลายเดือนก่อน

Bought mine today, I do all grain brewing but yeah, sometimes things are confusing, but done a few times seems ok.

• @peterbradley2425
    @peterbradley2425 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Very keen to keep following.Cheers

• @Yellowsnow1
    @Yellowsnow1 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

This has made my mind up. T500 all day long. Thanks Rich

• @jpsabbey
    @jpsabbey 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Great in depth video 👍

• @MrCornel454
    @MrCornel454 3 ปีที่แล้ว

just bought one I can't wait

• @geraldaspin5992
    @geraldaspin5992 2 ปีที่แล้ว

They are all halp a great deal,very good to watch. I give them all 8or 9 +.

• @douglasvallance5136
    @douglasvallance5136 ปีที่แล้ว

Thankyou so much going to help me to set up as I'm a first timer looking forward to making wiskey for the first time with your help hope to be successful Regards Doug

• @TheGreatest1974
    @TheGreatest1974 ปีที่แล้ว

Excellent tutorial. 👍🇬🇧

• @adaminness8658
    @adaminness8658 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Well said and instructed.

• @danielleryan6116
    @danielleryan6116 10 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Great video, thanks. I just purchased a T500 and was a little scared of it. Your video was very helpful

• @beardyhomebrewing
      @beardyhomebrewing 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Same going to be running first wash on Friday all a bit daunting 😂

• @patharris9210
    @patharris9210 2 ปีที่แล้ว

great advice

• @rojosurtv
    @rojosurtv 4 ปีที่แล้ว

This became one of my favorite channels. I am thinking in buying an air still to re run my spirti and make some gins, and you convinced me

• @BullyBonanza
      @BullyBonanza 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Good salesman isn't he? 😂

• @hannible1002
      @hannible1002 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I have had one for 7 years. I drink half a bottle at 35% every day I am 60.

• @harveyotoole2029
      @harveyotoole2029 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@hannible1002 Wow

• @hannible1002
      @hannible1002 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@harveyotoole2029 I never get a hangover nither Harvey. But I am retired I couldent do it if I had to get up at 7am. Take care.

• @harveyotoole2029
      @harveyotoole2029 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@hannible1002 My friend says the same thing, no hangover with this stuff. Take care.

• @Gerhard3838
    @Gerhard3838 3 ปีที่แล้ว +7

I own and use my t500 for the last three years. I do neutral wash with sugar, but also rum wash with cane sugar and black strap molasses. The t500 was my best investment ever. Btw you shop is fantastic 👊🏻 Cheers

• @erhui5597
      @erhui5597 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Hi, as for the rum, do you remove the saddles? I read you will loose less of the molasses flavor that way but ofcourse your alcohol% yield will drop.

• @robertreinerstedt8720
      @robertreinerstedt8720 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Bypass the reflux cooling coil by putting the "drain tube" directly over the final condenser instead of leading the cooling water through the whole system. In that way you get a much more efficient condensation compared to if you only removed the stainless steel and copper saddles.

• @Gerhard3838
      @Gerhard3838 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@erhui5597 Sorry for my late reply , no I don’t remove the saddles the flavour is still quite intense.

• @anthonyiamtheone9381
    @anthonyiamtheone9381 9 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Go ray Martin. Good video

• @darylzampese1855
    @darylzampese1855 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video ..
    How does this still compare to your older still?

• @mrspykerwolf
    @mrspykerwolf 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Awesome video and really appreciate your professional attitude. Maybe it's the accent haha but it definitely works. Any cons after owning it for 11 months?

• @peterpage7322
    @peterpage7322 3 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Great still, but the timings stated are not correct. It takes 1 hour to reach temperature and then, if you are keeping the condenser temperature to as close to 50 degrees centigrade, it takes 6-7 hours. Obviously the higher the temperature the quicker it is.

• @B0r0
    @B0r0 2 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Ive been using these systems for now over 10 years now and my best advice I can give is to ditch the turbo yeasts etc (and as my wife says they taste like hospital alcohol,) the best yeast is bakers yeast, it doesn't give you a high alcohol content but gives a great taste.

• @lukeclarke8054
      @lukeclarke8054 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the tip.

• @paulkazjack
      @paulkazjack 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

It tastes very bready though.

• @gunlabchris
      @gunlabchris 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Have you tried using a blend of both yeast? Saw a video where a person uses both

• @ffwast
      @ffwast ปีที่แล้ว +1

Just use beer or wine yeast.

• @plug4uk696
    @plug4uk696 หลายเดือนก่อน

I personally use the waste Hot water coming out of the still to sterilise all my bottles and then leave them filled up with the hot water in them and caps on until I need them 😉

• @DripdropBrewing
    @DripdropBrewing ปีที่แล้ว +3

OMG 😱😱 I cannot believe he has said not to discard the foreshots/heads and tails on pure turbo yeast. It don't matter what yeast in the world you use always get the strongest methanol from start and tails at the end 😂🤣😂 I have had this still for 2 years and I absolutely swear by it that's how good it is. First 100mls/150mls stinks and taste of methonol and billion percent need taking off and the tails the same stinks and needs to be kept for next run on pure turbo yeast. You having a laugh 😂😂😂 I have used it and stinks. Keep hearts and job done. You just keep it at 51c/52c 6/7 hours later you get roughly 3.2 litres or more @ 93% ABV. That's how you run a T500 still. TPW wash or kale wash is the best for me but this is my preference. I now own a 3" 5 floor bubble plate kit with 2"/3" reducer and 2" bulkheads that fits the 2" lid perfectly and a voltage controller is a must have!! now I get 96% without fail and it automatically filters it without using ez filter anymore. But guys please take take off your foreshots/heads and tails off your nutrual will taste discussing and the wrong way to doit on any type of yeast you use available out there. This is the only misinformed information on here. Other then this great video and perfect otherwise 👍🤘👌👊

• @JoaoPedroSobral
      @JoaoPedroSobral ปีที่แล้ว +1

Agreed. I have been doing a lot of pot still so when I moved to reflux and doing a spirit run you will have foreshots, heads, hearts and tails like in a pot still. Best way to identify is to take a small sample and dilude it to 40%. Smell and taste you will see. However for the ones new to the hobby start with the alembic dome / pot still setup. It will help identify all the different cuts then move to reflux to play with clean spirits. Despite all of that alembic is my favourite I love brandy and whisky 😊

• @DripdropBrewing
      @DripdropBrewing ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@JoaoPedroSobral even better split the pipe with a two way pipe connector and you can use it as a pot still. Add a gin basket two type in upgrade t500 on here there is a few video on it👍👍

• @user-eg8hb8xt3j
    @user-eg8hb8xt3j 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

For nuts that won’t start …go counterclockwise until it clicks then tighten it up

• @dirtyworkdiver
    @dirtyworkdiver 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thank you for this instruction! I just purchased a T 500 and a Grainfather 30L, I will use the GF for my boiler. Should I set the temperature of the Gf just slightly above the desired temperature? This will minimize the cooling needed from my water flow regulator, right? Your recommendations are greatly appreciated! Salute! By the way, your audio improved when you changed over to the stainless steel unit.

• @HeartPumper
      @HeartPumper 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

I'm setting mine on full boil all the time.
      You'd start collecting heads at around 91°C (@GF temp) and above 50°C @ T500.

• @vandoguk8478
    @vandoguk8478 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Now open the shop so I can buy one please! ;-)

• @rchuso
    @rchuso 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Please tell me, now that I'm living in the USA (Idaho), and I've purchased a replacement still (another T500 for 120V), I'm unable to get the Peat Smoke and Single Whisky here - and nobody wants to ship any to me?

• @joachimlandes5745
    @joachimlandes5745 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Very interesting and helpful, thank you very much. I just got a T500 from a friend to try. How do you clean the copper saddles if they are all black or is it enough to rinse them in water?

• @aarnaarn1904
      @aarnaarn1904 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Use citric acid, 1 tablespoon in one litre of water. Soak for 24 hours. Rinse well. Cheers

• @joachimlandes5745
      @joachimlandes5745 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@aarnaarn1904 thank you very much

• @patrussell3028
      @patrussell3028 ปีที่แล้ว

Table salt and white vinegar solution I believe.

• @scottskinner2525
      @scottskinner2525 ปีที่แล้ว

Soak them in 551 - A homemade solution of 500 ml of water, 50 ml of peroxide and 1 oz (I use 2 tbspn) of citric acid

• @kristiankruse3964
    @kristiankruse3964 4 ปีที่แล้ว +10

You might want to discard the first 50ml anyway, because still spirits recommend it.
    Do a burn test just to make sure you are not making methanol

• @rick151
      @rick151 3 ปีที่แล้ว

What if you don't finish running that batch that day and want to complete the next day? Do you continue to discard?

• @HeartPumper
      @HeartPumper 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Always discard 5-10% of your initial yeld.
      In home distilling stills there's always bit of methanol in boiling wash (even despite discarding initial ml).

• @sseedell
      @sseedell 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The burn test is an extremely unreliable method of determining the type of alcohol. There is so much garbage being posted around this. Most of the information is completely wrong and could be dangerous for people that don't understand it. For instance, methanol (bad alcohol) will burn clear blue and ethanol (good alcohol) will always burn with a flick of yellow near the top due to the extra carbon atom producing soot when burnt. There are many videos out there (in fact most) that state the exact opposite regarding the colours of flame.

• @sheep3854
    @sheep3854 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Would it be possible to use a garden hose as the water source? My garage has no running water and the outside tap is 20 meters away, i could set up a web cam on the temp probe so i can adjust the water flow, im just not sure if its a good idea or not?

• @thomascaldwell6545
      @thomascaldwell6545 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

i have run mines from garden hose no problem sheep

• @marcusjarrold2792
    @marcusjarrold2792 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Approximately how many litres of water would you use to run a t500 for about 4hrs..

• @thejollyfrog640
    @thejollyfrog640 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

At 2:55 problem with temperature probe.
    A T500 defect.
    For the exorbitant price they charge for the T500, it should have a proper length probe.
    At 15:20 re: classic yeast.
    So it's OK to have the smell and bite of acetone in your spirit???

• @reneeludewig6738
    @reneeludewig6738 2 ปีที่แล้ว

How much litres of water are you using to make this happen

• @donnasmeaton8969
    @donnasmeaton8969 ปีที่แล้ว

What about the methanol that is produced after still reaches 143 F degrees that is poisenous? This still does go through that temp range on the way to 170F-175F degrees?

• @irish-medi-weed-grower5240
      @irish-medi-weed-grower5240 ปีที่แล้ว

Heads. They are used for rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. You also get methanol as the temperature drops to said 143f , they are called the tails. You keep heads and tails separate from the good stuff 😜

• @mickblue768
    @mickblue768 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi Do you turn the water on as soon as you start the still or do you wait untie it starts getting hot then turn on thanks

• @LoveBrewing
      @LoveBrewing  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I normally wait till it starts to get quite hot

• @bigsiegee
    @bigsiegee 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

I think you got a ghost mate. That wire holding your bookshelf up is going bonkas.

• @LoveBrewing
      @LoveBrewing  3 ปีที่แล้ว

good point, how strange

• @sandyjack1901
    @sandyjack1901 ปีที่แล้ว

Any advice on “puking”? My distilling stopped after about 2 litres of alcohol produced and full flow wash came through the alcohol tube.

• @scottskinner2525
      @scottskinner2525 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Are you adding an anti-foaming agent (Still Spirits Distilling Conditioner) to your wash before you distill?

• @sandyjack1901
      @sandyjack1901 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@scottskinner2525 Hi Scott I didn’t for the first brew but will next time.
      Thank you

• @lindadodge6926
    @lindadodge6926 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Is it okay to pre-warm the wash in a pot on a burner before putting it into the T500?

• @LoveBrewing
      @LoveBrewing  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Yes it is but be careful you don’t any where near to boil or the vapours coming off would be alcohol and combustible.

• @lindadodge6926
      @lindadodge6926 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@LoveBrewing Yes I understand that bringing it to a boil would be very dangerous. Thank you for your fast response. Love your channel.

• @LoveBrewing
      @LoveBrewing  2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@lindadodge6926 thanks! :)

• @hghtrfnko8634
    @hghtrfnko8634 3 ปีที่แล้ว

That water section was a punish.

• @jamalking6738
    @jamalking6738 ปีที่แล้ว +1

A couple of questions
    How much does it cost to produce the 3.5litres at 92-94% before watering it down ?
    And I've seen videos where people say to throw away the 1st 200-250ml when making Rum (Which I what I want to make)
    Thank you

• @cgoody9913
      @cgoody9913 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Cost of the still, sugar 6kg, 25 ltr water and yeast. Oh and the charcol packets, not much.

• @MrRhino12667
    @MrRhino12667 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Actually how far in should thermometer probe go in and why is it not already restricted at that depth?

• @HeartPumper
      @HeartPumper 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Bit of teflon tape is needed. Otherwise it will leak ;)

• @tiagovieira1151
    @tiagovieira1151 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Do you not discard the head and tail?

• @blackcyclist
      @blackcyclist 3 ปีที่แล้ว

there are no tails. discard the first 50ml. why risk it for a double shot?

• @HeartPumper
      @HeartPumper 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Tails are coming out as well. It's all alcohol (tasting bit off for me) around 90% at the end of the run.

• @blackcyclist
      @blackcyclist 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@HeartPumper I guess you can call the last part tails. My last run I got 3.9L of 92% alcohol. 1st 2 liters was 92.5% then liter 3 came out about 92% and the last 700ml ended up at 91%. I chucked away the first 100ml (saved for paint cleaner) 3800ml from a 20L sugar wash ain't bad.
      I'm sure I could have collected another 400-500ml, but it wasn't worth the time and effort.

• @HeartPumper

@@blackcyclist Yep, my heads & tails are going always for sanitation/desinfection purposes. Just cutting it down to 72%, adding evt. bit of glycerine & water perioxide.
      PS V. nice yeld 👍. What yeast/recipe you're using?

• @blackcyclist
      @blackcyclist 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@HeartPumperI made a sugar wash but I inverted the sugar and lowered the PH. I used a turbo yeast with carbon. Ended up with a 17%abv mixture that went Into the kettle

•  2 ปีที่แล้ว

50c° for the water aroung the condenser???? i put it as fresh as it can be, alcohol must be fresh when he drips out, if it's hot you could have 20%abv and on the taste it will be hot as 50abv ,,,,

• @TimothyRCrowe
    @TimothyRCrowe 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Did you run off and throw out the initial 100 ml of nasty methanol and acetone off first?!

• @HeartPumper
      @HeartPumper 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Seems he didn't. I personally always do, 10% of my calculated yeld (180-230 ml). It goes for sanitization purposes.
      Also collecting tails (the taste is kinda off) - also purposed as heads.
      All that with 100% sugar wash & baker's yeast (Birdwatcher's recipe).

• @antakalnietiskalnietis4163
    @antakalnietiskalnietis4163 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I do not think that carbon cleaning is needed if all is done correctly. In my modest understanding - carbon shall be used only for correcting faults in distillation process.

• @irish-medi-weed-grower5240
    @irish-medi-weed-grower5240 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I bought a t500 still off you About 9 years ago. And I was watching the news the other day and and thought I saw you. But it was the hero Andrew Brigdan. Are you related?

• @kevinwalsh2566
    @kevinwalsh2566 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Can you put the t500 on top of a grainfather?

• @hannible1002
      @hannible1002 3 ปีที่แล้ว

No the T500 is for sugar washes.

• @HeartPumper

Yes, but you have to buy an extra lid - or dome (if it's not coming with T500 column in the set).
      And is not only for sugar washes lol 😂.
      Just take the packing out & you have a pot still.

• @mattikujanpaa
    @mattikujanpaa 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

How many litres of alcohol u get from a full load

• @mrpoop123
      @mrpoop123 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

What i don't understand is when he showed it running it was literally just a drip . How do you got 3.5 litres at 50 degrees in that many hours. If I did that it'll take me 10 hours and get less . Its also not my mash. My mash is 17 lbs sugar, dry active distillers yeast and yeast nutrient. Ferments atleast 10 days. Or more. I have the outflow set to 500ml per min.

• @peterpage7322
      @peterpage7322 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@mrpoop123 yes you are right, it actually takes 6-7 hours at around 50c. I don’t get the same quantities either using the same products. But hey ho it’s still a great still.

• @mrpoop123
      @mrpoop123 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@peterpage7322 i agree, I do think its a decent still especially just starting. I don't drink the stuff I make extracts with the ethanol. The strange thing is I don't get a decent flow until a much higher outgoing temperature. Also debating doing some videos because there isn't much info on running the t500

• @peterpage7322
      @peterpage7322 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@mrpoop123 any videos on the t500 would be welcome for many, especially beginners, as we are all learning and there are so many variables. I agree, it’s a great still for beginners as you get results from the start very easily, and if all you want is vodka, it’s perfect!

• @mrpoop123
      @mrpoop123 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@peterpage7322 its really one of those things you learn from doing. The biggest thing I've learned is watching your outflow per min and watching the drip/stream and by taste / smell. I did buy the copper parrot even though I know im producing 95% ( it will go down when the alcohol cools down, the highest this still will produce is about 93%abv) but I find it flows better with it when collecting. I also think it gets a bad wrap because stilling back in the day isn't exactly the easiest thing/dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and now a days its more of a plug and play. The ones who had to learn the hard way ( yet would know more of how distilling really works by trial and error ) compared to the t500 where you can get a decent neutral without even having knowledge. I don't even drink yet got alcohol within the first go. It's over priced but ive enjoyed it and its a good way to introduce yourself into distilling. I really think it mostly comes down to your fermenting and keeping the temps correct. I was in contact with George from barley and hops and he mentioned that too much sugar the yeast will give up here his words "I always recommend that in a 5 gallon batch of sugar wash you don't exceed 10 LBs of sugar (in fact 8 LBS is better for yeast health).
      If you have too much sugar your yeast tend to give up and you have little overall ethanol produced.
      Try keeping the initial (starting) gravity below 1.090. The results are somewhere in the 12% ABV area but very predictable and you can expect to collect almost three quarts. "

• @TheRealSnpe
    @TheRealSnpe 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

WHO come here for ow

• @platinumstudiosentertainment
    @platinumstudiosentertainment 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Need to cut the music in the background as it's a distraction.

• @Blelelelele
    @Blelelelele 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Woooow, how cheap can you get to want to keep the first 50ml, ridiculous. Chuck it

• @Edgunsuk
    @Edgunsuk 3 ปีที่แล้ว

you sure you aint just banging on about carbon to sell your filters ??? PS Ellie-Clair is £100 cheaper for the complete still than these guys.

• @collinsarcade2939
    @collinsarcade2939 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

terrible video lol I read that theres 2 power switches but I only see one, try to watch a video on how to switch it on and you turn off the video, switch it on, then turn the video back on lolllll you cut out the most important thing in the video