Lakey 6*3 vs Vandoren Jumbo Java T45

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 26 ส.ค. 2024
  • For those of you who may be cross-shopping these bright mouthpieces, here is a comparison of the Jumbo Java T45 from Vandoren and the 6*3 from Claude Lakey.
    Buy me a Piece of Cake: www.buymeacoff...
    SIRVALORSAX Merchandise (apparel, cups ect...)
    sirvalorsax.cr...
    Digital content is here also:
    Saxophone Sound Development Book
    Alto and Tenor Altissimo Book
    Diminished Scales Book
    All books are digital
    payhip.com/Sir...
    SIRVALORSAX PLAYS:
    / @sirvalorsaxplays168
    Buy me a Piece of Cake: www.buymeacoff...
    WOODWIND BRASSWIND DISCLAIMER:
    I have an affiliate account with Woodwind Brasswind which allows me to make a commission from sales that are related to Woodwind/Brasswind links.
    Mouthpieces via wwbw:
    wwbw.pxf.io/15...
    Altissimo G Blues Scale: • Tenor Sax Altissimo G ...
    Large Chamber vs Small Chamber Sax Mouthpiece: • This is a review of a ...
    Getting Started with Altissimo Fingerings: • GETTING STARTED WITH A...

ความคิดเห็น • 84

• @bluessax5089
    @bluessax5089 4 ปีที่แล้ว +8

I don watched you talk about the jumbo java for a year and was like “Jody Jazz is better” nope!! I’m rolling with Jumbo!! You’re the mouthpiece G.o.a.t out here in youtube verse!! 💯🙌🏽🤘🏽😎

• @T.H.W.O.T.H
    @T.H.W.O.T.H 4 ปีที่แล้ว +7

I had a Lakey 7*3 for years. I found you could get a really wide range of tones on it, from subtone fuff-fuff-foos to laser bean ear-bleeders. The only down side was that I had to take the floor boards up and shave them down for reeds! Anything softer than a 3.5 and it became a very difficult beast to control - but nonetheless handy if you like burning calories while doing your long note practice. :)

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Lol

• @brianbogle5050
      @brianbogle5050 ปีที่แล้ว

I have the same piece. Probably bought it in LA around 1990. I hadn't used it in years but pulled it out after I watched the video. It was my first serious jazz mouthpiece and it took me a long way. I too had to use some pretty thick reeds on it. Today I used a Rigotti 3. Wow was that bright! I use a 10Mfan Robusto 7 these days. Similar, but way more balanced and versatile.

• @theleftymonster
    @theleftymonster 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Since I’m watching your channel I got this mouthpiece buying disease to the point that my wife is telling me that if instead of each mouthpiece you practiced one note you would have been someone by now! (lol...so true!) but anyway today I got my Claude Lakey 6*3 in the mail which I got it for a very reasonable price on eBay $59 CAD including a Rovner ligature both in very good condition and OMG this is a fantastic mouthpiece. You are absolutely right this mouthpiece to me sounds like best of both world you got your bottom end on the low register and enough brightness and power on higher registers with fantastic altissimo. I managed to hit some notes that never was able to do that before in altissimo register. This is a very under rated mouthpiece compare to other big names. Having said that I never tried Jumbo Java so I can’t compare these two but I have regular Vandoren Java T-45 which I also like a lot which is Ralph Bowen’s mouthpiece of choice.

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  4 ปีที่แล้ว

I am looking to get a regular Vandoren Java in the future.

• @juanangelcardonalopez2479
    @juanangelcardonalopez2479 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Your sound with the Java red 3# is way much better!! Congrats!!!!

• @tomgallosaxmrblues
    @tomgallosaxmrblues ปีที่แล้ว +2

I play the tenor jumbo 45 and I'm thinking of switching to Lakey.
    I play them on alto and soprano.
    I switched from jumbo java to Lakey on alto and like it better.
    From listening to your video they seem very close but the Lakey sounds a bit more controlled, if that makes sense.

• @luisruizliriano
    @luisruizliriano 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Usted suena bien en cualquier boquilla. Bendiciones.

• @keithcampbell6806
    @keithcampbell6806 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Good morning sir .Your videos are always so good if l am not careful you would cut into my practise time .Keep up your excellent work.

• @zachattack4982
    @zachattack4982 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Wow! That t45 really sounds nice when you play it. I own one and idk what I'm doing wrong but it just doesn't sound good. It's not that it has a ton of resistance or anything, just sounds thin and annoying sounding for me.

• @Sirvalorsax

what reeds do you use?

• @zachattack4982
      @zachattack4982 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax vandoren java green 3

• @BodhiFitness
      @BodhiFitness 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

ZachAttack498 try a java red 3 or 3.5

• @toomuchtoofast4533
    @toomuchtoofast4533 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I think the Van won it for me. I picked one up on Amazon today.. they had a $15 off coupon too. I have some red 2.5 Java’s I’m gonna try. Keep up the killer work

• @juliorenatto2500
    @juliorenatto2500 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Amazing video as always! I like vandoren the most, feel like it has a bigger sound. It would be great u could get a JodyJazz Jet on Hard rubber to compare with those mps

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I'm thinking of starting up a Patreon/Kickstarter to acquire more review material.

• @juliorenatto2500
      @juliorenatto2500 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax I'll be happy to support that idea- Please, let us know any news about it.

• @grayfox3057
    @grayfox3057 4 ปีที่แล้ว +9

To me the java seems to have a fuller sound than the lakey

• @Sirvalorsax

I found the tone more consistent on the JJ but the Lakey was more flexible with the pitch

• @edwardfields8029
    @edwardfields8029 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Personally the lakey moves me more but you sound great on both

• @MoonMm2xsxs
    @MoonMm2xsxs หลายเดือนก่อน

Hello! Do you know the difference between the Claude Lakeys that says "Jazz 2" and the others that just say "Jazz"?? Thanks!

• @satriahadjobaru2718
    @satriahadjobaru2718 3 ปีที่แล้ว

When comes to blues and altissimo, you're no question man! 😀😅✌

• @Baboon4215
    @Baboon4215 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Great review, thanks for posting. I loved the Jumbo Java, but I couldn't get on top of the MP=shape of the beak on the Vandoren. Claude Lakey was much better for my embouchure, was my favorite MP. I really loved them, great MP for the $. I tried a variety of Cane reeds on the Claude Lakey, but the best reed (for me) that I found with Claude Lakey are Fibracells. There are some other players I know who tried a Fibracell with Claude Lakey and also had great results. Try it and see how it works.

• @Sirvalorsax

I'll try that thanks. Have you tried the hard rubber or metal Claude Lakey pieces? I'm thinking about getting the Apollo series one.

• @Baboon4215
      @Baboon4215 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax I personally haven't tried the Apollos because I don't like Metal MPs--that's just me. I know a few players who use the Apollos and they sound awesome; it just goes to show how we're all different. I'm not sure what it is or why, but I've always felt more comfortable with Hard Rubber or Ebonite MPs=I have much more control and they provide me with more versatility. A lot of my friends also say I sound better on Hard Rubber/Ebonite too. Speaking about Hard Rubber/Ebonite vs Metal MPs, that would make a great video for you to do, maybe about helping a player to pick which one is best for them? Love your channel, keep up the great videos!

• @egparra94
      @egparra94 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Second this! Fribacells with Claude Lakey is the best combination!

• @carlosalbertoreyesdelossan7071
    @carlosalbertoreyesdelossan7071 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hello teacher, which mouthpiece do you recommend the most between the jumbo java t45 and the t55?

• @madyeti3224
    @madyeti3224 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I had one of those blue Jumbo Javas from the 80s A75.. Loved the power but after hearing how far my pitch was off in a concert I did a change up.. It didn't like to play well with other instruments..Bad boy!! Sold it a few years back.. those fabled blue ones are going for crazy prices now.. Now that I'm a bit better in embouchure department...maybe time to try a A45 or A55.. Definitely will pick up a T55 when I upgrade my tenor .

• @juanangelcardonalopez2479
    @juanangelcardonalopez2479 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I think this gives me a quick conclusión of what Ur looking for based on all Ur previous vids.
    Low baffle or no baffle with a 6* ,7 típ opening and Java red 3#.

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

It really depends on the feel of the mouthpiece though. I prefer 2.5 strength over 3

• @stanhegeman8751
      @stanhegeman8751 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I use a Lakey 5star with a Van Doren med. soft, so as a rock player with no other horn players in the band, I do find it does all I ask of it. My horn is a Yamaha z82. I really like the tone the unlacquered finish gives me.

• @javierquesada798
    @javierquesada798 4 ปีที่แล้ว

t45 I have one and it sounds great

• @vagnerbordignonfreitas9865
    @vagnerbordignonfreitas9865 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

hey. I'm a beginner at sax. Could you tell me the name of this song that you are testing the mouthpieces with? thanks

• @jonathanbieniada1797
    @jonathanbieniada1797 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the video! What does the facing curve look like on the Lakey? I'm tryong to match the facing curve on tenor as my alto Beechler S6S short facing I'm playing an "M" facing Berg on tenor right now and it's just too hard to go between a short and longer facing.

• @FunkOsax
    @FunkOsax 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I'm listening through high quality well set up speakers and hi-fi amp, and the Lakey sounds much more edgy and less solid than the T45. This is puzzling because you describe them as the complete opposite to that. I agree with Francis S. in that the T45 seems to have a much fuller sound.

• @Sirvalorsax

All of my cameras have a compressor on them that I can't turn off. Also, I felt that the Vandoren was edgier throughout the entire spectrum of the sax. The Lakey really peaks up top.

• @FunkOsax
      @FunkOsax 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax don’t get me wrong, I really trust your opinion, and you can hear the direct sound as you’re playing. I’ve got alto & tenor saxes, and I tried my friend’s Jumbo Java T45 (might have been a T35) on my alto and it was indeed very bright, a bit edgy, and a fair body to the sound. I thought it would be good for a loud funk or rock situation

• @KadrianThomas
    @KadrianThomas 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Awesome video bro.

• @anquaviousshahab1678
    @anquaviousshahab1678 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

larkey is platic? legere fit it?

• @Sirvalorsax

The old Legere reeds had fitting issues but this one is fine

• @felixemilioloramartinez3718
    @felixemilioloramartinez3718 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey guy I need a Lakey 6*3 I prefer that one

• @bluessax5089
    @bluessax5089 4 ปีที่แล้ว

The Java is the easy choice! I’m really curious to know how that would compare to the JodyJazz Hr. I know Kirk Whalum plays it and Noah Preminger. Just curious, what are you’re views of the JodyJazz Hr??

• @Sirvalorsax

I know some guys that play on it. I wanted to borrow it for a review but things didn't work out. Hopefully in the future I can put something together

• @Passdataters
    @Passdataters 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Do you like the T45 or T55 better?

• @Sirvalorsax

I wish they made a T50!!! I like the sound of the T55 and the feel of the T45

• @andisaxophone
    @andisaxophone 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Have you tried any of the larger tip openings for the vandoren?

• @Sirvalorsax

I had the T55 and I loved it but...the tip was consistently too open for the strength of reeds that I like to use

• @ninnivalentinno1955
    @ninnivalentinno1955 4 ปีที่แล้ว

i have a Claude Lakey , i just find out that i can't play on 2 1/2 jazz Vandoren on this mouthpiece, it's like a 3 on this mouthpiece

• @Sirvalorsax

What tip opening are you using?

• @luisgonzalez-td5lf
    @luisgonzalez-td5lf 2 ปีที่แล้ว

do you recommend lakey for the altissimos?

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

They are very good for playing altissimo

• @chrismejia2969
    @chrismejia2969 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I play on a soloist d facing and I just ordered a t55 but I’m kinda scared it’ll be a bit to open for me, any tips on getting used to it? Or is the tip opening too different? I’d appreciate any advice if you have the time to answer

• @Sirvalorsax

Wow. That will be a big jump. You can minimize the difference by choosing softer/softer cut reeds like Vandoren green box 2.5 with the T55. If it's still too much, I would try the T45. I sold my T55 and now I use the T45 with Redbox 2.5 reeds. I use V12 # 2 with my soloist E facing

• @chrismejia2969
      @chrismejia2969 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Sirvalorsax thank you for the advice I’ve never played anything but my soloist on tenor and I didn’t realize How different the tip openings were compared to the t55, I’m scared but excited to play it when it comes. By the way follow up question I’ve seen in a lot of your videos you play on a small reed size, what would you say are advantages of doing that compared to playing on stiff/hard reeds?

• @jjpbm
    @jjpbm 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Sirvalorsax, how would you compare the Jody Jazz Jet to these two?

• @Sirvalorsax
      @Sirvalorsax  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The Jody Jazz Jet is exactly what the manufacturer says it is and as far as brightness and power, it is right up there with them. I prefer the Jumbo Java to the Jet because I can still play with a dark sound with it. The Jet seemed to always be turned up to 10 no matter what.

• @jjpbm
      @jjpbm 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax thanks for the heads up I was thinking of getting a Jet, I guess it will the Jumbo Java then

• @Pescaria40grausmarcodorado
      @Pescaria40grausmarcodorado 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@jjpbm vai de claude lakey

• @robertgalardi3731
    @robertgalardi3731 4 ปีที่แล้ว

and to me they both sound good .. why ? because its the player who makes it sound good and my proof is ? You changed the reed to pay the LAKEY EH ? OK so with that in mind that adjustment changes the game immensely . I bought my van doren zuma for $ 100 dollars when they first came out and tested it against a dukoff .. the van doren always wins .. put a good fiber cell reed on it and yu will blow down the house ..... bobby g.

• @Sirvalorsax

One tip opening felt too small or too large when I used the same reed. You are right in that it is the player's ability with whatever equipment he or she has

• @Ezekio3160
    @Ezekio3160 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Help me out. What’s the difference from jumbo and jumbo Java series?

• @chandlertaylor3881
      @chandlertaylor3881 3 ปีที่แล้ว

You mean Java vs jumbo Java? Java has a rollover baffle and jumbo Java has a high baffle

• @Ezekio3160
      @Ezekio3160 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@chandlertaylor3881 thanks! What’s the sound difference?

• @chandlertaylor3881
      @chandlertaylor3881 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@Ezekio3160 Java is going to better for all around traditional jazz. Jumbo is a lot brighter. Better for like fusion jazz/modern jazz.

• @Ezekio3160
      @Ezekio3160 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@chandlertaylor3881 thank you! Jumbo Java it is for me

• @chandlertaylor3881
      @chandlertaylor3881 3 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Ezekio3160 you’re welcome. Let me know if you like it. I’m thinking about getting one my self

• @antsadiaryandiantiana1098
    @antsadiaryandiantiana1098 4 ปีที่แล้ว

what reeds did you use?

• @Sirvalorsax

I use Vandoren Redbox #3 for this video.

• @saxofonistacr
    @saxofonistacr 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I hate the lakey I have and really like the java t55 (not jumbo)

• @cunha912
    @cunha912 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Lakey sound more jazzy

• @edmarvieira5898
    @edmarvieira5898 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

T45 tem mais qualidade de som

• @koumou57
    @koumou57 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Have you tried a Vandoren Java? They are very good versatile mouthpieces.

• @Sirvalorsax

I haven't tried the regular Java piece yet

• @koumou57
      @koumou57 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@Sirvalorsax I think you should give it a try, as well as the new large chamber V16 HR also. I have a Java T75 and the V16 HR T7L. They both play very well with 2.5 reeds. Vandoren has such a vast array of mouthpieces, your average sax player will most probably find a suitable one for their needs without looking elsewhere.

• @guiluz49
    @guiluz49 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Vandoren deve ser mais leve ...