The Arnside Tidal Bore - Very Close Up! - T16

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 1 ต.ค. 2024
  • Arnside Bore - Very Close Up!
    This tidal bore runs into the River Kent in Morecambe Bay, UK, passing by the village of Arnside. Here it draws a crowd, who come to witness the sands become submerged in a silty instant, by an impressive natural phenomenon.
    It isn't the largest of waves, in fact it is not a big wave at all. The factor here that challenges a long surf, is not hydraulic power but almost the opposite. The water here is only inches deep for much of the time, adding to the technical challenge of staying on the wave. Here it is so shallow the rudder blade scrapes the sand, while paddle strokes become more relevant to building sand-castles than to boat handling.
    All in all it combines a fun technical challenge with an always impressive phenomenon, as you try to stay with the wave all the way to Arnside.
    A warning siren is sounded just downriver from Arnside to warn that the bore is incoming. This is what you can hear on the video, it is not dubbed but recorded 'live' with the video.
    The Arnside Bore - small, fun and sort of cute really.
    And just down the coast at Preston is the 'Ribble Bore', with a slightly larger wave - come join me for a ride on the 'White Horses' : • River Ribble Tidal Bor...
    Kayak:
    Rockpool Taran 16

ความคิดเห็น • 63

• @joeoak8181
    @joeoak8181 2 ปีที่แล้ว +11

Wow, I'm impressed by the skills involved here. Very well filmed, very well paddled. Thanks for posting!

• @qazwsx27a
    @qazwsx27a 2 ปีที่แล้ว +6

It’s so weird how the water is completely still before the incoming bubbly wave. Great vid

• @yvrman1964
    @yvrman1964 2 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Absolutely AMAZING, and beautiful, fun looking, scary all at the same time!! I can only imagine how it must be in the boat!
    Thank you.

• @Analouge.motor-photography
    @Analouge.motor-photography ปีที่แล้ว +4

Imagine if you were just swimming and didn't know about the tidal boar and you heard the siren then saw the tidal wave coming towards you

• @bethwoodward4326
    @bethwoodward4326 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

How did you manage to fit your gigantic pair of balls into that canoe?
    I dread to think what would have happened if the canoe flipped over

• @brianlopez8855
    @brianlopez8855 2 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Phenomenal speed ! Extraordinary skill !

• @josephinebennington7247
    @josephinebennington7247 3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Excellent. Timed for the autumn equinox? The 2021 spring equinox bore in the Solway was spectacular last week. 4ft front wave. (Not that I paddled it.). Probably just as good at Arnside?

• @surfskitechniquereview2024
    @surfskitechniquereview2024 3 ปีที่แล้ว +8

Very artfully played, especially the close quarters part! Really quite amazing!

• @uncov8127
    @uncov8127 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Definitely not for beginners, impressive.

• @4nesbitgrove
    @4nesbitgrove 3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

My mate said I should watch this. Glad I did. Loved every second. We've just got into 'packrafting', with our bikes. He suggested I should have a go at this. I think he's having a 'larf'. Thank you

• @beaggyboy
    @beaggyboy 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

While I ave no clue how deep this river body averages out. Rivers nonetheless, always give me chills that runs down my spine, more so esp. ones the likes of this, that empties-out into the sea/ocean, likely in the not too far-off distance behind this here Kayaker-Gentleman, atta start uf the video. Hence that saying ; "Still Water Runs Deep". Bzides, its banks look like they're made-up of awfully smelly 'Quick-Sand' mud.

• @johnstride9642
      @johnstride9642 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Not very deep at all when the bore comes in…you can wade in some areas although not recommended during the bore! Deeper once the tide is fully in a couple of hours later. And the mud/sand doesn’t stink. It’s more a very fine sand and silt rather than the mud you’d find elsewhere.

• @annabizaro-doo-dah
    @annabizaro-doo-dah 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

How cool was this😍🏄💨💨💨

• @pauljones401
    @pauljones401 3 ปีที่แล้ว +7

That sir was incredible!!! I’ve done a quite well received film of the bore from Arnside ( 50k plus ) but this is something else! Every time you turned into it I was amazed at your skills! Feel embarrassed mines had more hits!!! Fantastic 👍👍👍

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Thankyou.

• @TR4zest
      @TR4zest 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

You should mention this clip in the description of your video.

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@TR4zest Sorry Brian, which clip?

• @TR4zest
      @TR4zest 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@performanceseakayak I meant for Paul Jones to mention your video in the description of his bore video.

• @performanceseakayak

@@TR4zest Oops, obvious now. Thanks.

• @marineboy6033
    @marineboy6033 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

This video was presented to me by the algorithm- thank you for a great video - very interesting and impressive boat skills…..

• @williammonaghan3724
    @williammonaghan3724 3 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Great Video, seen the bore once from the safety of the shore.... The speed is impressive nice to see it from that level...

• @r.sharpe1206
    @r.sharpe1206 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Yes

• @VashtiInez
    @VashtiInez ปีที่แล้ว +2

Outstanding, you certainly make navigating the tidal bore look easy (I'm sure it wasn't)! . Mad respect Sir!!

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thankyou. If you would like, there are more runs on Tidal Bores here:
      th-cam.com/video/UWDkE3seez0/w-d-xo.html

• @simonabc2061
    @simonabc2061 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

exciting

• @robbridges5975
    @robbridges5975 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Fantastic. I’ve seen the Arnside bore dozens of times but never from this perspective. It was a pleasure to watch. I’d love to know what camera equipment you used - how did you get it to stay level when the boat was moving so much and how did you get it to turn? Thanks for sharing your video.

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Hi Rob
      Camera: GoPro Max. It is a 360 camera so point-of-view is altered post-paddle during editing. It gives a different aspect to footage, but takes a fair amount of work! Stabilisation is also covered digitally by the camera.

• @johnstride9642
    @johnstride9642 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

You picked a nice bore! Great skills and camera work.

• @petercresswell5402
    @petercresswell5402 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

What a great video, a new perspective on something I've seen many times from the bank. Truly remarkable thanks

• @stephenwinter5988
    @stephenwinter5988 2 ปีที่แล้ว +3

surprised more people don't do this looks like awesome fun

• @1XX1
    @1XX1 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

In a very macabre sense, this event helped me to value other peoples lifes.

• @Destro7000
    @Destro7000 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

You cut out the best bit at the end! What happened at the viaduct? Did you go under it or did you get slammed into a wall?

• @leeedsonetwo
    @leeedsonetwo 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Looks like fun

• @malcoppock4255
    @malcoppock4255 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Great skills, great footage

• @lonnygee
    @lonnygee 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

• @P100KLE
    @P100KLE 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Decent.. was sent this video to watch and it was 👌🏽
    Would look class if you got a drone in follow me mode when carrying out the paddle.

• @kayasper6081
    @kayasper6081 2 ปีที่แล้ว +2

That is quite cool!

• @timsimshurst
    @timsimshurst 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Looks great - and the entire river to yourself!! 🙂

• @SleepySkipper
    @SleepySkipper 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

That looks so much fun. How difficult is it compared to catching and holding normal surf on a beach?

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  2 ปีที่แล้ว

It's similar to beach surf, though you need to be aware of the depth here and have to be able to chase the wave as it forms and fades though the shallows.

• @annabizaro-doo-dah
      @annabizaro-doo-dah 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@performanceseakayak How deep can it get please?

• @performanceseakayak

@@annabizaro-doo-dah Sorry Anna I really don't know. On the bore itself the water is only inches deep in places, though it goes deeper as you cross various pools and channels. Once the bore has passed and the tide fills the estuary then the depth is increases greatly.

• @scooterza
    @scooterza 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

How did you film this? Was it a drone?

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  3 ปีที่แล้ว

Hello Scott - see the reply to Rob Bridges question below.

• @bradbradshaw7995
    @bradbradshaw7995 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Brilliant video ! Especially as the point of view kept changing, giving a better idea of what was going on. I'm guessing that a shorter kayak would have a tough time when the bore was green, but OK on when broken? Have you ever paddled The Severn? Regards, Brad

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thanks Brad. Not paddled the Severn, I figure it's a little busy for a long boat. A short boat would work here in the mush, but as you saw I had to work through the deeper sections to keep up. A few more bore videos here: th-cam.com/play/PLqzC-41FmRz0YBAXQ8KbB9b_EQkFd-WXo.html Cheers JW

• @adventurouslad
    @adventurouslad ปีที่แล้ว +1

Hello. I loved this video. I watched a good few in your profile - you're very skilled. I practice cliff diving in the Irish sea and I love it, but rivers always frighten me. Are you a bit scared when you're doing this? Are there any real dangers while doing this? The waves don't seem dangerous to me, but I am probably wrong. Well done once again!

• @performanceseakayak
      @performanceseakayak  ปีที่แล้ว +1

The waves are created by water moving over obstructions in the shallows. So those obstructions can be a hazard in the shallow water, and obviosuly moving water always deserves respect. Perhaps not scared, but I am nervous at times. You don't know exactly what to expect, but once I'm over teh nerves and get on with it I'm enjoying myself! I'm sure you'll understand that.