IBM ThinkPad T40

แชร์
ฝัง

ความคิดเห็น • 45

• @musicmoviesandgames2004
    @musicmoviesandgames2004 4 ปีที่แล้ว +13

For anyone who is reading this, if you want the original image on your ThinkPad T40, download and burn the T40 images from this Internet Archive link: archive.org/details/IBMThinkpadT4041RecoveryCDs. They will also restore your recovery partition as well.

• @retropcdurham
      @retropcdurham  4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey joshlovesiphone thanks for this suggestion! I think I will give that a try on the one I have which is missing the original image.

@musicmoviesandgames2004 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

RetroPC Durham Oh I forgot to mention that before you boot up the first disk, delete all the partitions on the hard drive using a regular Windows XP cd, then you can boot up the first disk and say yes to restore the Product Recovery program.

• @WEissbr0t
      @WEissbr0t 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Wow, thank you so much!! 😀

• @spirovlahakis4131
    @spirovlahakis4131 3 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Got the t41 last week for $30. Still had original IBM features on operating system. Took me a while to be able to get internet. Had to use wifi adapter to finally get internet. Fun to play with.

• @LaptopRetrospective
    @LaptopRetrospective 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

That active desktop is pretty slick!

• @RuohongZhao
    @RuohongZhao 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

It was my second laptop, It was a gift for my 9th birthday. I cannot forget the first time I saw this machine, I love every design feature on this laptop, it definitely came from another planet, a planet full of good designers. It was the best laptop in Chinese market back then, mine was 1.5G CPU and 256 Ram, i wrote my first program on this. I still miss the keyboard light and the function keys marked in dark blue icon. Plus, the design of this laptop is still not out of date now. My parents still kept this laptop until today.

• @wombat1238marsupial
    @wombat1238marsupial 3 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Lovely machines, the only downside was the reported motherboard flex caused by the motherboard being screwed to a rather flimsy plastic base. If used for long periods the heat produced caused mobo to flex and if handled one-handed could cause components to loosen or break from the board. T60 onwards had a magnesium cage for mono to be screwed to.

• @retropcdurham
      @retropcdurham  3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Yea models with discrete graphics are particularly vulnerable to the BGA connections cracking. A reflow can sometimes bring them back.

• @retrocomputinggrotto
    @retrocomputinggrotto 4 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Love the T40’s great and robust machines. Purchased, repaired and thrown away (sent for recycling) more of these than I care to remember when I used to work in an IT Department that only purchased IBM (and later Lenovo) desktops, laptops and servers.

• @miguelromero7153
    @miguelromero7153 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

hi, i have 2 T40 too, what wifi adapter you recomend to install? they run win7 very well! the only issue is the onboard wifi

• @KaitenKenbu
    @KaitenKenbu ปีที่แล้ว +1

I was lucky and picked up a very very nice T40 that was described as brand new just this last weekend, charger was still in plastic. Also picked up an A22m in fantastic shape and got win98 running on it nicely.

• @sharinet.carabot3838
    @sharinet.carabot3838 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I have a Question and please answer it, Is IBM ThinkPad T40 have a Camera?

• @retropcdurham

T40 doesn't have an integrated camera, nor does it have the connector that the T22/T23 had for the Ultraport Camera module.

• @andrewdupuis1151
    @andrewdupuis1151 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

it was great system i use to have t40 it stopped working few years ago i miss it

• @MichaelL486
    @MichaelL486 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I have a T43 that runs well except for being slow. Looked into mSATA SSD to 2.5-inch IDE Adapter Converter to speed it up, but they are expensive. Like your videos!!

• @retropcdurham
      @retropcdurham  3 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for watching!

• @ArthLud
      @ArthLud 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Michael L. If you look into sata ide adapters you might find something very cheap. Look into a "flat" one, otherwise it won't fit into a HDD bay. Most cheap SSDs you can just open and remove the board and that board is super short.

• @verdadedita1878
    @verdadedita1878 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Is it possible to improve the processor, increase memory and change from HD to SSD on it?

• @retropcdurham

2GB max memory, you can get a CF to IDE adapter for solid state storage, and for CPU I think the max is a 1.6GHz so not going to get much improvement there.

• @ArthLud
    @ArthLud 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

My T430 still has the latch on the front. I already maxed RAM and I did put a fast Intel SSD so it's working as a charm. I need to upgrade to i7 Intel processor but I'm still considering it as I don't really know it will bring much more power. The system runs on Kubuntu 20.04 and everything works just perfectly.

• @EvilTurkeySlices
    @EvilTurkeySlices ปีที่แล้ว +1

I tried to watch this on my T40, didn’t go to well. Got about a few frames a minute. I got mine with the original IBM install(it was used but has all the original ibm stuff) Mine is the fastest model with the high res screen and Radeon 9000 graphics(not the 64mb one though unfortunately)

• @vermilion5559
    @vermilion5559 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Could you upload that image if you can? Looks really cool would like it on my t40

• @retropcdurham
      @retropcdurham  4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Try this on Internet Archive - archive.org/details/activetimezonewallpaperemea

• @vermilion5559
      @vermilion5559 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@retropcdurham thanks!

@musicmoviesandgames2004 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@vermilion5559 You can find the actual recovery here. archive.org/details/IBMThinkpadT4041RecoveryCDs. It will restore the recovery partition as well. One of my friends has had better luck with it if you delete all the partitions on the hard drive manually using a generic Windows XP disc first. After that, then you can boot from disc 1.

• @fabmulah6277
    @fabmulah6277 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I have t40 think but it's asking for supervisor password,any help on how to fix this please.

• @retropcdurham

By no means is this a guaranteed process, but if you are out of options it may be worth a try.
      1. Dissasemble your ThinkPad to the point where you can access the EEPROM where passwords are being saved
      2. Boot the machine and press F1. Immediately short pins 5 & 6 (SCL & SDA) on the EEPROM and hold them. The machine will appear to hang while you do this (trying to read the data from the EEPROM and failing). This step should bypass the password. Please note that the Supervisor password is still set at this moment.
      4. When the prompt appears, press 'enter' e.g. blank password and you should be into the BIOS but with the Supervisor Password still set.
      5. Power off the machine and reboot with the pins shorted. Release the pins and machine should complain it can't read the EEID data
      6. If the machine seems to hang release the short to proceed to the next step, then reshort the pins. You should be able to get to a point where you have complete access to the security menu (except you still don't know the supervisor password to remove it).
      8. Select the supervisor password from the menu with the pins shorted. The BIOS setup assumes the password is blank and asks for a new password. Release the short.
      9. Enter a blank password twice and press F10 to save. You should now be able to access your ThinkPad with no SVR password active!
      Basically at any point where the system is looking to READ the EEPROM to check what the supervisor password is, you need to have the pins shorted.

• @fabmulah6277
      @fabmulah6277 3 ปีที่แล้ว

RetroPC Durham thanks,
      I will give it a try

• @fabmulah6277
      @fabmulah6277 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Another thing,am not an IT guy but am willing to give it a try cause it's worth the risk than keep the machine without attempting to fix...again, where is that EEPROM located (for t40)

• @retropcdurham

​@@fabmulah6277 It is located underneath the touchpad. You will remove the bottom bezel and any cards installed below it, which will reveal an Intel chip and the small 8 legged EEPROM below it. Pin 1 is the one with the little dot beside it, and pins 5/6 are diagonally across from pin 1. If you want to see some pictures take a look at this link:
      www.ja.axxs.net/T40_series.htm

• @TechnoloG84
    @TechnoloG84 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

that laptop got me through my freshmen year at Morehouse 18 years gao...then some idiot stole it. Fast forward to 2021, I'm an attorney who only uses thinkpads. History repeats itself. Typing this from a Lenovo P1 Gen 3.

• @retropcdurham

Thank you for sharing! P1 is a sleek and powerful model.

• @jjohnson71958
    @jjohnson71958 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

i need the xp professional installation cd for my ibm t40 thinkpad could you please help me please

• @retropcdurham

Joshlovesiphone provided this link archive.org/details/IBMThinkpadT4041RecoveryCDs
      It is a few disks but will get you that factory image.

• @jjohnson71958
      @jjohnson71958 4 ปีที่แล้ว

@@retropcdurham i dont have any cd's or higer capacity diskettes =(

• @alfonsogonzales3500
    @alfonsogonzales3500 3 ปีที่แล้ว

How do you unlock the keys

• @retropcdurham

Are you referring to removing the keyboard? There are a few screws on the bottom and then a ribbon cable once you have the keyboard assembly loose

• @mikepxg6406
    @mikepxg6406 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I have a New Old stock T40.

• @retropcdurham

Sealed? That's a keeper

• @mikepxg6406
      @mikepxg6406 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@retropcdurham Its been opened but new. I also had a couple of Thinkpads built at the old IBM factory in Scotland. (I live in UK) I sold them to a collector.

• @muhammetalicimen5840
    @muhammetalicimen5840 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I forget my bios passoword, i searched in internet, and they told me, if u pull of ur battary and wait 15 min. That's gonna be fixed