How To Change Coolant : Honda VT1100

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 29 ก.ย. 2024
  • In this video I show you exactly how to change the coolant in your VT1100 as well as many other V-twins quickly and effectively.
    There are some KEY updates from Honda when it comes to your bike's coolant that you will not want to miss as well as some very helpful tricks and tips that I cant wait to share with you all. ENJOY!
    Free Maintenance course
    ►► Join my FREE maintenance course to achieve quality service and maintenance practices for your motorcycle → www.themotorcy...
    LIKE SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE!
    Need help with your bike?
    Check out the INNER CIRCLE and join the community
    www.themotorcy...
    Need Carburetor teardown and cleaning videos?
    www.themotorcy...
    Support Motorcycle MD and pick up the NEWEST Shirt design. Artwork and printing all locally done!
    motorcyclemd.c...
    Try out some of my favorite GRIPCLEAN products at www.gripclean....
    @Grip Clean Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner
    USE CODE “ MOTOMD “ AT CHECKOUT FOR 10% OFF ENTIRE ORDER!

ความคิดเห็น • 188

• @OjciecPadre
    @OjciecPadre ปีที่แล้ว

got shadow 110 and going for maintenance before riding season. great wideo for new rider like me. thanks

• @papashuk26
    @papashuk26 7 ปีที่แล้ว +34

Just picked up an old shadow and glad to find a channel that will help me wrench around on my bike! It's half the fun of owning one and it makes me feel more connected to the whole experience . Great videos!

• @TheMotorcycleMD
      @TheMotorcycleMD  7 ปีที่แล้ว +2

+Papa Shuk I hope the videos build confidence in your ability to do good work! Ride safe!🤙🤙

• @natesilva3232
      @natesilva3232 5 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Im glad to hear another Shadow owner ..if your gonna bounce on different bikes ..the Shadows not the bike you want but if you want a one time love 😂Shadow is a great bike ..i have 95 A.c.e. vt1100c2..and i cant stop smiling ..and hardly any money in it ..and taken care of regularly

• @bryangarner1886
      @bryangarner1886 2 ปีที่แล้ว

@@natesilva3232 Same man. I have a 98 1100 Aero and I just love the thing!

• @seatime674
      @seatime674 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

​@@TheMotorcycleMD I can get the Gallon of Type 2 Blue Honda coolant from the car dealership, can I use the same stuff for my Goldwing?? Thank u

• @MrNino44
    @MrNino44 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Thks for a great video

• @hiramturrubiate8580
    @hiramturrubiate8580 4 ปีที่แล้ว

works in 2005 shadow aero?

• @thomastaylor7746
    @thomastaylor7746 3 ปีที่แล้ว

How to take gas tank off of 2002 Honda sprit to get radiator cap

• @thomastaylor7746
    @thomastaylor7746 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Need 750 shadow spiert

• @fmr2213
    @fmr2213 6 ปีที่แล้ว

the tank antifreeze boils when I go out to roll, I recommend changing the radiator cap can you tell me how many pounds is your cap ?????

• @tantaluss68
    @tantaluss68 5 ปีที่แล้ว

is it okay to use and ethylene glycol with a corrosion inhibitor or the the inhibitors fuck shit up

• @tooljst8
    @tooljst8 6 ปีที่แล้ว +11

You can put the cap on a half turn and run the bike to bleed the air out as well.

• @theonewhoknows62
    @theonewhoknows62 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Just purchased 04 Shadow Sabre 1100 and miles were low 10k. Im changing my oil no proble. Want to flush coolant system: manual says factor delivery used 50/50 coolant and water. What is recommendation? Bike is never stored outdoors.

• @theonewhoknows62
      @theonewhoknows62 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The coolant comes ready mixed I found out.

• @cri8tor
    @cri8tor 4 ปีที่แล้ว +8

Please consider a tutorial on checking and servicing the water pump, thermostat and thermo switches.
    Cheers

• @concrete981
    @concrete981 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

it's worth changing the coolant. there's always going to be slow traffic on a hot day......HOT DAY, COLD BEER!

• @TheBarryHughes
    @TheBarryHughes 5 ปีที่แล้ว +9

Clear, concise walk through. Thank you so much!

• @Idonotknowthisman
    @Idonotknowthisman 7 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Don't have to remove seat or tank... If ya have small hands you can get it off...but thank you for the great video

• @baltazar9865
    @baltazar9865 5 ปีที่แล้ว +3

How about a video how to change rear brake pads on drum brakes cant find a video anywhere on a 2006 honda shadow spirit 1100 THANKS

• @B-Rad412
    @B-Rad412 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I don't know if you even respond to this this post its so old...great video... No videos about coolant flushing on TH-cam.... Just bought my first bike a 2003 Honda Shadow 750 has green antifreeze in it 😳😳.... Is it still safe to use the blue? Thank you 🙏

• @d19375
    @d19375 4 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Taking my VTX out of storage after 2 years, your videos have been extremely helpful. Thank you!

• @duganstitzel6990
    @duganstitzel6990 ปีที่แล้ว +1

This video was the only correct resource on this topic for my bike, thank you sir.

• @skyline5354
    @skyline5354 5 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Great video! Can you do one on a thermostat change?
    My coolant is bubbling after a long ride so I’m guessing the tstat is getting stuck

• @altonalexander5078
    @altonalexander5078 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thanks for videos they have been very helpful.... I have 95 vt1100 ace that has been sitting for 6 years.... had major emergency back surgery which left my right leg paralyzed so bike has been sitting ever since. Leg strong enough to were I want to get back on the road. Tank is totally rusted and gas is varnish..... with ur help I have pulled carbs, drained oil, empty tank. Plan is to change all fluids, plugs, coat tank, new tubes & tires. Any suggestions as to best way to bring my baddy neglected baby back to life would be greatly appreciate! Really looking forward to getting a piece of my life back after a long, long struggle with many health setbacks along the way!!!

• @Todd66
    @Todd66 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

One 5 year old video and you got me subbed up.
    Nice job

• @sleezymechanic
    @sleezymechanic 4 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Love your vt1100 videos. I've been wrenching on my bike for about 6 months now and I feel one with my bike now. I KNOW what's wrong with it if problems arise.

• @ethanschutz6092
    @ethanschutz6092 5 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I just purchased my first big bike it's a 92 VT 1100 shadow and well my glad to find your Channel your videos are awesome!

• @patrickgarman5802
    @patrickgarman5802 3 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I just got an 03. New to Hondas. Thank you so much for your walk-throughs.

• @Jfrancis0629
    @Jfrancis0629 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Great video, excellent information. Also, where can I purchase the mechanic shirt you are wearing? Thanks

• @JohnBaird-v4d
    @JohnBaird-v4d ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks, this was helpful. Do you put straight coolant into radiator or have a 50/50 coolant/distilled water mix?

• @ptbrakefield
    @ptbrakefield 6 ปีที่แล้ว +2

You are awesome!! I have to change my crossover tube o-rings, which requires draining the coolant. I know how to do that, but filling it was somewhat of a mystery. Thanks to this video that is no longer true!!

• @felipevillaroman6606
    @felipevillaroman6606 3 ปีที่แล้ว

How to check radiator thermostat and speed sensor of cb 400 spec 1..thanks papi...

• @IDYLBERRY
    @IDYLBERRY 7 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Hi Cody,
    I've been servicing my '05 Goldwing as much as possible. One of the tips I've picked up to remove the maximum amount of coolant is to use a leaf blower placed over the the top of the radiator fill neck to help remove the old fluid and distilled water. I have found that I don't have to replace the sealing washer every time but I do replace it every other time. Since I'm not in a rush I will leave the drain plug out over night to allow the remainder of any fluid to drain.
    One factory flaw I encountered was the recovery bottle was never connected to the overflow hose. It's been this way for 12 years and the first 2 times I had the coolant serviced at the dealer they failed to make the connection as the hoses are different sizes. I corrected that.
    Question, is there an interval in which the radiator cap needs to be replaced?
    Thanks for all of your professional how to videos you've posted.

• @TheMotorcycleMD
      @TheMotorcycleMD  7 ปีที่แล้ว +3

IDYLBERRY Hey man, that's awesome that you have been able to service your bike in your own! I actually wouldn't shake my finger to hard at the dealer solely because that type of mishap is a rare one. I have personally never seen that before and the dealer I work at is one of the most well known Goldwing repair shops on the east coast of VA, so I get my hands on many! I have never heard of the leaf blower trick up top. I do however use a mity-vac brake bleeder with an attachment I made to plug into the bottom of the water pump to extract more coolant even than it's only about a cup or two after a full drain. To answer your question there is no service interval for the radiator cap. I personally (8 years in) have never found a problem that would suggest such an interval. However, over time I would inspect the rubber seal for the cap, if you notice cracking or dry-rot it wouldn't hurt to replace it.
      As I have replaced some on the GL1500s.
      Hope this helps!
      Ride safe!

• @Chris-yh6iq
      @Chris-yh6iq 6 ปีที่แล้ว

Where can you find replacement washers?

• @damianblu
    @damianblu 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

"so you're not overflowing it all over your exhaust".
    Me, looking st my exhaust absolutely COVERED in spilled coolant:
    Ah. Ok. I see where i went wrong.

• @pwb0511
    @pwb0511 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Really nice, please do a stator replacement on a 1100 shadow?

• @jordanminnis6865
    @jordanminnis6865 3 ปีที่แล้ว

I bought an 83 VT750 the fan is wired to a toggle switch, this may be a dumb question but if the toggle switch is off for the fan does the coolant still flow as it’s supposed to?

• @jeffreygwinn5081
    @jeffreygwinn5081 9 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hey, have a question about a radiator on a VTX 1800. I'm having an extra hard time finding one for an 06. They're on backorder from Honda. Do you think one from a VT would be close enough to work?

• @brettcreech3490
    @brettcreech3490 5 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Thank you for the vid's what would I have to do to put all led lights on my 1997 Honda Shadow vt 1100 ace c2 !thanks.

• @derickwalker3684
      @derickwalker3684 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Brett Creech awesome ! I have the 02. Lovely bike !

• @chuckspeer2163
    @chuckspeer2163 3 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Good info thanks

• @richardfrankrodriguez8287
    @richardfrankrodriguez8287 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

So my coolant is pink looking Possibly orange
    What’s up with that?
    Still trying to get it going so I’ll update
    Thinking I’m doing a whole overhaul

• @michaelthompson2194
    @michaelthompson2194 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Like you videos thank you learn alot Was wondering if i take the tank off how would i start the bike when time to top up the rad

• @jonda9006
    @jonda9006 ปีที่แล้ว

How do u run it without the gas tank? I'm just learning, please tell me how to run it without gas? Lol once u tell me, it'll probably be a, duhhhh moment. Ty for ur great vids they are my guide to maintaining my own bike, at 63.

• @EliasLourenzo
    @EliasLourenzo 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi, I need to know how to change the oil in the gearbox of my honda Shadow sabré 1100. Thnx

• @DieselDoktor
    @DieselDoktor 2 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Just picked up a 1999 that has sat for 3-5years lol so I’m going through everything making sure I know all the stuff I need to take care of.
    Thanks for the video.

• @ToolDeals
      @ToolDeals 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Same!

• @charlesweldon3026
    @charlesweldon3026 ปีที่แล้ว

Very helpful except we didn’t get a detailed breakdown of proper seat and tank removal🤷‍♂️

• @henryoquendo8428
    @henryoquendo8428 ปีที่แล้ว

Good instructions...brake fluid would be great and changing out the brake pads thankx

• @dangalli1
    @dangalli1 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

What’d y’all do with the old coolant?

• @benlivingston2437
      @benlivingston2437 4 ปีที่แล้ว

sometimes auto parts shops will accept it for disposal. If you can maybe get a repair shop to take it for you, some may want a fee.

• @JohnLednicky-zf6nv
    @JohnLednicky-zf6nv 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

How about replacing the overflow tank? Worth it or is it better to mount an aftermarket overflow elsewhere?

• @jammer9597
    @jammer9597 6 วันที่ผ่านมา

How can you keep starting and running the bike with no gas tank

• @VictorVegaMotoVlog
    @VictorVegaMotoVlog 7 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I just made the chage to my VT750 2012 and It had the green coolant, awesome info bro, thank you for sharing the knowledge

• @TheMotorcycleMD
      @TheMotorcycleMD  7 ปีที่แล้ว

+Victor Hugo Vega Very welcome Vic! Good on you for keeping things cool 😎🤙 ride safe out there brother.

• @martindocherty7391
    @martindocherty7391 2 ปีที่แล้ว

I bought a '95 Honda vt1100, still has green coolant. Guessing it might be time for a change!

• @kennyp11111
    @kennyp11111 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thanks, but when i bleed the system of air should i have coolant in the overflow tank and should the overflow filler cap be open or close?

• @yeahboy28100
    @yeahboy28100 ปีที่แล้ว

Maybe I missed this. How often should you change the coolant? About how many miles?

• @robertchester5435
    @robertchester5435 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Very helpful. But the instruction didn’t start til over 2-1/2 minutes in. But thank you

• @toddboden972
    @toddboden972 ปีที่แล้ว

Shouldn't have to remove all that stuff. Just the trim under the bars. Add coolant with hose and funnel.

• @toddboden972
    @toddboden972 ปีที่แล้ว

Can you show a video of how to take plastic trim by the steering column off. Thanks!

• @johnproper432
    @johnproper432 24 วันที่ผ่านมา

How do I change the Spark plugs on a 1100 Shadow.

• @PpPp-rn9ix
    @PpPp-rn9ix 2 ปีที่แล้ว

so in order to check how much fluid is in it, you have to take down million parts. Who the fuck designed this

• @shaggyaxe
    @shaggyaxe ปีที่แล้ว

7:40 But the tank has to be off to reach the radiator cap. You mention to bleed it 4 or 5 times. You need to replace the tank each time to run the engine? Then remove each time?

• @DiscreetNYC
    @DiscreetNYC 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Is it possible to just add more coolant to the rear reserve just to have the bike running momentarily? I have a 1992 VT1100 shadow

• @Nikerin89
    @Nikerin89 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Good video

• @nathanielkreeger3020
    @nathanielkreeger3020 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

What is your approach to holding the gas tank up while starting to bike After filling? That is my man concern! 👀👀
    Beyond that.. glad video! I'm almost done with mine! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!🙏👌😎👍🫂

• @jeffbova440
    @jeffbova440 2 ปีที่แล้ว

service manual says nothing about putting the cap on and starting it to get the air out.. have a 2010 fury

• @smwest1978
    @smwest1978 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Just wanted to thank you for your informative videos. Keep up the good work 👏

• @billreeves2852
    @billreeves2852 2 ปีที่แล้ว

how much coolant goes in a Honda VT1100c Shadow Spirit?

• @juanitad4762
    @juanitad4762 7 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Great video, but I'm apprehensive about taking the gas tank off - I can just imagine myself spilling fuel everywhere. Perhaps a tutorial on how to do this step safely? Every video I've looked for on you tube has the tank miraculously already empty for removal or already removed for the main event.

• @TheMotorcycleMD
      @TheMotorcycleMD  7 ปีที่แล้ว +1

+JB D Currently working on one for this bike! Be sure to subscribe! 🤙

• @shermanmichelle
      @shermanmichelle 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

i actually did mine today and i removed the seat and the rear bolt holding my tank on and just pulled in back a cpl inches to get to the rad cap , tank was full and didnt spill a drop

• @WheelsofSteal
    @WheelsofSteal 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Great channel and video dude! Two questions please. If you do flush with distilled water a couple times. Do you use a new seal washer. That cooper or whatever that once a use washer is? And also, where do you buy those washers? Thanks for all your great videos. Almost revived my first Shadow ever. Peace!

• @krisasenov6978
      @krisasenov6978 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Yes use a new washer and they sell at most auto stores near you.

• @caseyrider7980
    @caseyrider7980 3 ปีที่แล้ว

I have a 1995 Honda shadow VT1100C spirit and I was wondering what size risers would fit

• @Bricklinsv1970
    @Bricklinsv1970 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Is the Honda 1100 Shadow the best bike ever built?

• @notoriouscowboy9773
    @notoriouscowboy9773 3 ปีที่แล้ว

☝🏽Attention ☝🏽He didn’t say how much it take to fill it up .

• @CrpisC-ios222
    @CrpisC-ios222 2 ปีที่แล้ว

what could be the problem ? I start up coolant runs out from the over flow line.

• @mrnoedahl
    @mrnoedahl 3 ปีที่แล้ว

I heard you can use a 50 50 mixture of distilled water and distilled vinegar to flush the system. Is that a good idea?

• @larryodell2531
    @larryodell2531 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Just got ma a 1999 shadow Honda ill be checking in im love'n this ride Lad & I want to get to enjoy it at it fullest💪👑🍀

• @notoriouscowboy9773
    @notoriouscowboy9773 3 ปีที่แล้ว

👆🏻He doesn’t say how many bottles of coolant it takes to fill it up

• @KiRiTO72987
    @KiRiTO72987 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Question, is it roufley the same on the 750?

• @KingKuneho85
    @KingKuneho85 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

is it ok if I use a propelyn glycol based coolant

• @CenobiteBeldar
    @CenobiteBeldar 4 ปีที่แล้ว +1

4:48
    Bike: AHHHHHH, feels so good.

• @thelogicallunatic6004
    @thelogicallunatic6004 11 หลายเดือนก่อน

Very informative!

• @audiophilipp
    @audiophilipp 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Mine is blue,if i flush it all can i change to pink ?

• @Foxbodyguy91
    @Foxbodyguy91 4 ปีที่แล้ว

I prefer dog urine over elephant urine. But to each their own

• @Ray-ox6rj
    @Ray-ox6rj 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the video. Gave me a great start. I have a 95 honda shadow vlx 600 that's been parked for a long time. Do you think I should flush system before replacing with new coolant?

• @jasongarrettgibson4049
    @jasongarrettgibson4049 ปีที่แล้ว

...clear, conscise info, thnx Man.

• @kennethischy3939
    @kennethischy3939 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Amen brother

• @maingate690
    @maingate690 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Great useful commentary.

• @buyercomprador5184
    @buyercomprador5184 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Is the same for a 2005 Honda Shadow aero vt 750?

• @mark_osborne
    @mark_osborne 5 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Thank you ! I needed this :-)

• @dpratt1949
    @dpratt1949 3 ปีที่แล้ว

So the tank comes on and off each time running the engine when refilling the coolant until the level is at the neck? Or is there sufficient gas in the system without the tank? Great video(s). New subscriber!

• @carelocotv
    @carelocotv 2 ปีที่แล้ว

How many litros do you put?

• @Dave-jc6ky
    @Dave-jc6ky 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Can the coolant level in reserve tank be checked with the cycle on the side kick stand or does the cycle need to be level when checking the level in the reserve tank?

• @jasongerhart3749
    @jasongerhart3749 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Glad you had and made a great video,it was very helpful

• @rogerpr364
    @rogerpr364 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for this vid!
    Right on for my need!!
    With this clear coaching I'm ready for my coolant change on my 98 shadow spirit
    Cheer's from Montréal!

• @shadaddy63
    @shadaddy63 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Hey I just notice my fan won’t cut on to cool my bike down. The temp light hasn’t come on but I can feel a lot of heat coming from the right side panel when I ride even for just 20 min. The fan used to cut on but doesn’t anymore. Where should I start with the fan it’s self, the relay switch, the thermal switch or changing the fluid from green to blue like you said? I’m new at trouble shooting my bike but I like doin my own work so I can get to know my bike. I have a 04’ Shadow spirit 1100. Please I need ur help.

• @HeistMonkeys
    @HeistMonkeys 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Where can I snag the washer?

• @dustyroadsrider
    @dustyroadsrider 2 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks for the video, as usual very informative .

• @rockypettyjohn1144
    @rockypettyjohn1144 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Not crazy handsy uncle Joe

• @terryspence7609
    @terryspence7609 2 ปีที่แล้ว

What's your thoughts on draining/ flushing the reservoir by removing Lower hose ? I going to try it then trickle feed antifreeze from top of the radiator. Very good tutorial videos, thank you!

• @akbarhussain1767
    @akbarhussain1767 4 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi there Cody,that's where I'm up to,flushing my coolant system on my Honda cbr 1000,I've never attempted this,thank you so much for the video,thats Awesome help my friend .

• @rowanmeijer5655
    @rowanmeijer5655 7 ปีที่แล้ว

My 1st 3rd and 4th carb have the fuel mixture screw turned out 2,5 times, my 2nd however seems to be stuck at 1,5 turns. My bike (GSX1200) seems to miss some power and acceleration. Could this be the problem en how should I aproach it? Im afraid ill damage the brass screw. I know its of topic but I really dont trust most random interweb MC fanatics 😜

• @jeroenmiddag1132
    @jeroenmiddag1132 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Thanx for the video. I changed mine on my vt1100 87. the cooland was green bt had a bid of brown sludge in it. It hasnt been changed in 15 years. is the sludge something to worry about?

• @shawnzahler7957
    @shawnzahler7957 5 ปีที่แล้ว

Great vid. Followed along on my ‘98 VT1100. I could only get 1.5L of coolant back into her though? Manual says 2L capacity. That normal?

• @greerboyproductions
    @greerboyproductions 7 ปีที่แล้ว

hey man I am working on a 2000 suzuki bandit 1200 when I got it cylinder 1&2 were firing fine and 3&4 were not. header tubes were cold just on 3&4 well I cleaned the carbs 3 times and nothing changed I had already checked for spark sparks great well I adjusted all the valves and 3&4 were out of spec 'to tight' so I adjusted them and got it all back together fired up and ran pretty good cylinder 4 was as hot as 1&2 and #3 was warm like 280 degrees 1&2&4 are running around 500-600 degrees at idle I did notice at 2k RPM #3 will heat up t about 400 degrees and that is about it. before I adjusted the valves #3&4 were around 85 degrees no matter where the throttle was I'm thinking clogged pilot jet on #3 carb but I just wanted to get your opinion before I mess with it anymore also I adjusted all the pilot screws out 3.5 turns exactly out from lightly seated and I've tried taking #3 pilot screw out like 4-5 turns out but it does not make a difference. sorry for being so long winded and lack of punctuation

• @ShamanRamaCheetah
    @ShamanRamaCheetah 3 ปีที่แล้ว

Got a new 2004 honda shadow. Never had a cooling system. Thanks for this. Peace my dude.

• @charlesdelaney916
    @charlesdelaney916 2 ปีที่แล้ว

do you have a video for a honda fury

• @ripsnorter1015
    @ripsnorter1015 6 ปีที่แล้ว

Hi mate can you do some maintenance on a cbr1000f sc24 model as in changing rear brakes and front brakes I'm confused in doing to mine because I never delt with link brakes..thank you yes I am using bell ray products much better quality.