How To Use Smart Relays - 101 (Featuring The NEW Aqara Relay Module T2)

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 15 มิ.ย. 2024
  • If you've been looking at Smart Relays for your smart home or home automation needs, then today's video is the big, clear tutorial you need. I'll show you what a smart relay is, how to wire it, and I'll give you a number of electrical diagrams and wiring examples to teach you how to use smart home relays.
    Today's video is sponsored by Aqara, and if you'd like to purchase one of their relays, here's the link: geni.us/AqaraDualRelayT2
    Our other Smart Home 101 videos are here: • How To Build a Smart H...
    ‪@TheHookUp‬ made a great video focused on Shelly Relays here: • Beginners Guide to She...
    Timecodes for today's video:
    00:00 - Smart Relays Explained
    3:06 - What is a Smart Relay
    7:36 - The Basics of Wiring Relays
    12:33 - Explaining the Contacts On a Relay
    18:53 - Power Up a Smart Relay Easily With This
    23:04 - Setup A Smart Relay With a Wall Outlet
    36:39 - This Diagram Sets You Free With Smart Relays
    38:30 - Setup a Smart Relay With Light Switches
    50:34 - Setup a Smart Relay With Your Garage Door
    1:05:12 - Setup a Smart Relay With an Appliance That Has a Switch
    1:14:34 - Settings on Smart Relays
    1:18:34 - Integrating Smart Relays With Other Systems
    Join this channel to get access to extra videos, early releases, and other perks:
    / @automateyourlife
    Subscribe to Take The Frustration Out Of Automation: / @automateyourlife
    Automate Your Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and other Amazon websites.
    Thanks for watching, and Don't Hate, Automate.
    Brian
  • วิทยาศาสตร์และเทคโนโลยี

ความคิดเห็น • 215

• @mean1979Just
    @mean1979Just 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +6

I've spent years trying to get my head around electrical circuits. I genuinely think this is the best explanation I've seen to date. You could set up a TH-cam channel for teaching electrics to people as a side line and I'd subscribe to that too. Thank you for this Brian. Hugely appreciated as always. Keep up the great work.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Wow, thanks! That was my goal...teach people to try and let them grow from there. So happy to see someone get the benefit I was hoping for!

• @mean1979Just
      @mean1979Just 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife still trying to work out whether I'm brave enough to install my T2 relay 😬, but that's another matter (pun intended 😉)....

• @mean1979Just
      @mean1979Just 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife and finally braved it. Have installed 3 of them now and work perfectly. Thanks for your invaluable explanation.

• @cdarrigo
    @cdarrigo 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +4

This video is AWESOME. I watched it once and bookmarked it as a favorite soni can come back to it for reference. Thanks for doing this!

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Oh man Chris, thank you for that!

• @0to100Journey
    @0to100Journey 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

You earned a sub; this is what I'm looking for, a primarily complete guide on using a smart relay. Thank you!

• @abhayes1
    @abhayes1 7 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Thanks...this is very helpful. I will be using the Aqara T2 relay to bring my Chamberlain (MyQ) garage door opener back into Apple HomeKit since Chamberlain recently killed the API access for their Homebridge hub.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  7 หลายเดือนก่อน

What a terrible move by Chamberlain there.

• @jordanpack5571
    @jordanpack5571 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Home Assistant Home Assistant Home Assistant! But also, thank you so much for this. Saw another video on the wiring of it and it was not at all clear. You did a great job.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Are you thrusting into the air when you say that?

• @c849243
    @c849243 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thanks for all your hard work, Brian!

• @AutomateYourLife
    @AutomateYourLife  8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Hey guys - at 19:58 - The statement is missing from the video. I had made a mistake with what I said. Black goes into L/Live/Hot and White goes into Neutral here in North America.

• @crc_code
    @crc_code 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

This is a great tutorial , 🤩 thank you bro

• @richardcox4772
    @richardcox4772 8 วันที่ผ่านมา

Great video. Good work man.

• @jarredphillips6090
    @jarredphillips6090 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +5

Electrician here, slight correction on the pig tail name origin or meaning. Any short wire or cable used for a connection. This connection can be twisted wires, plugs on a chord or flexible conduit etc.
    When wire or cable or flexible conduit is taken off a roll it still holds the shape it had on the roll. Often these are short and coiled when using it this specific way. That's why it's a pig tail.
    Great video as always. Very professional and informative. I really liked your video on writing automations. You did a great job explaining triggers, preconditions,and there purpose.

• @AutomateYourLife

Thanks Jared! Appreciate the correction on pigtail!

• @bradkrekelberg8624
    @bradkrekelberg8624 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Thanks for demystifying these. I always wondered about them. The ratings thing is still overwhelming enough for me to avoid using these for now though. I'm no stranger to electrical; I wired our basement. But just having to account for wire gauge, heat, amps, watts, it's just too confusing.

• @AutomateYourLife

And that's fair Brad! Do what works for you

• @Xescofp
    @Xescofp 7 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Awesome video! Thank you very much from Barcelona! Just one question: I have neutral wire so, what do I have to do with the neutral wire from de switch? just leave it?

• @AutomateYourLife

I don't have your home wiring to look at, but nope! This relay uses the neutral wire and requires it to be wired into your relay! There's an N there on the relay and that's where you are going with neutrals!

• @surendraeedala8361
    @surendraeedala8361 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thanks for the detailed video. Can we use this T2 relay for 2-way or 3-way(controlling 1 light with 2 switches?

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Yep! I didn't build a diagram for that though.

• @trotomas
    @trotomas 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Great video!!! I used one to control 2 ceiling light from switches and it works great…I’d like to use it also as roller shutter controller but unfortunately seems that is still not supported in the Aqara app (at least not the percentage, only open or close). I hope Aqara will add this feature in the future, maybe with home assistant?

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  5 หลายเดือนก่อน

I don't know on that one! I think hardware wise it's a little stuck.

• @sciondb7152
    @sciondb7152 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +3

When it comes to pen testers. I was always told to Test it (with a known power), Check the one you are checking, but then go back and test it again with a known good one. Just to be sure it is working properly.

• @AutomateYourLife

Yeah that’s a common practice that guarantees the safety of a testing tool.
      It’s a little hard to guarantee a pen tester is working though, so the process I gave gets you fairly close without having to own a couple. But if you can do this, 100%

• @EsotericArctos
    @EsotericArctos 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +4

Even people that are not beginners could learn from a "beginners guide"
    This is a great little tutorial and there are some great ideas in the video. Thanks for the time you put in to this.
    The Wago style connector is popular outside of North America, but I beleive Wire Nuts are very popular in North America still. The jury is out as to what is the best method still. Done correctly, using wirenuts of the right size, they can be just as good as any other connection.

• @AutomateYourLife

Oh thanks sir! There was a lot of effort and time into this.
      I tell you though, my fingers love those Wago connectors! You folks outside of N.A. have it right as far as I'm concerned.

• @ThomWalbranA1
      @ThomWalbranA1 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

WAGO is making it way into the Electrical Code in many US states.

• @stefanocardinale8112
    @stefanocardinale8112 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

my home is equipped with motirized roller shutters with a switch with 2 rockers to make them roll up and down. Do you think that I can automate them with this relay? Thank you for your videos!!

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  2 หลายเดือนก่อน

I don't know your exact situation, but it sounds like it! There's a mode for motors

• @petereit
    @petereit 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Do you know if it’s possible to use an Aqara T2 relay as a dry contact switch on one channel and a wet contact switch on the second channel? I’d like to use one to control my gas fireplace; dry for the flame control and wet for the blower.

• @AutomateYourLife

Sadly, I don't believe you'll be able to do that. I can't see a way. You'd likely end up with a second relay anyways, so...I think just buy 2 fit for purpose relays

• @rogeroshea3490
    @rogeroshea3490 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi Brian I am looking to do something unusual and hope you can assist - I have a dumb light outside my patio that I want to make smart but I also want to power a set of string lights also.
    I have bought an Aqara dual relay module T 2 and wanted to use the cable to the existing light and make it smart but use the second relay to power and control the string lights
    I am planning to put the relay in an I p rated weather proof box but having watched this video I am uncertain how to do the wiring
    Any help appreciated

• @mpeyronel5908
    @mpeyronel5908 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hello, great video!
    I was looking to control a small DC motor or 110V moteur with Aqara orMeross relays, or 2 homekit switches + scene/automation for duration or meross garage door opener.
    Any idea or suggestion for the best way to automate a motor (front/reverse/stop) in homekit?
    Thanks for the suggestion

• @AutomateYourLife

This relay (the T2) does have reversible motor control in it. I didn't talk about that in this video cause it isn't a common use case, but you can use this with HomeKit through Aqara's normal integration methods or the Matter in their M2/M1S/E1 Hubs

• @mpeyronel5908
      @mpeyronel5908 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife thanks for your reply ! I am just curious about triggers to stop the motor / relay. What would you suggest ? Timer or trigger? This why I was interested in the garage opener from Meross

• @dumbdumbhah
    @dumbdumbhah หลายเดือนก่อน

Thank you so much for the video! Its the most detailed and clear one on Aqara T2 by far. Just a question, as we need to connect the red wire from LIN to LOUT to bring the line power to the other side of the relay, why would it be named LIN (shouldn't it be line out as electricity flow out from there)? And shouldn't LOUT be LIN since you are bringing the line voltage into the L1 and L2 side? Also can you also not connect the line from utility to LOUT directly (and L to power the T2) and skip the connection between LIN and LOUT? Since we need to connect neutral from utility to both the T2 neutral and L1/L2 neutral (ie. at light bulb) anyway, so why not connect the line power to LOUT directly as well? Seems like LIN is not needed?

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  หลายเดือนก่อน

Hey! Thanks 😃
      Lin and lout are jumpered out for most of the ways you'll use this in your home! However, there are a few cases where you'll need it! I believe...it was the garage where I removed it in this video. Sorry, been a while ;)

• @tyx2
    @tyx2 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Great VIdeo! Can't seem to find it for purchase yet. Want to automate my gas fireplace think this should work well and much smaller than the zwave one I was looking at from Zooz.

• @AutomateYourLife

Hey Tyler, thanks for watching. It should work great for that application. We’re the links below not working for ya? Might be where you’re at.

• @tyx2
      @tyx2 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife Thanks for responding :)... I'm from Beaumont so just down the road ;) . The link is working sorry head in butt moment.

• @AutomateYourLife

😃😃

• @xrisd
    @xrisd 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi Brian. This vid was very informative. Can I connect this to a siren, so that I can use it with the aqara hub and it's smart button to create a panic button situation?

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Yep! It'll depend on the siren for how you connect it, but should be doable.

• @xrisd
      @xrisd 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thanks a lot@@AutomateYourLife

•  7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thanks, can you share a video showing how to installa two way relay? Im having issues making two switches to turn on one single light

• @AutomateYourLife

I don't understand the question actually! A 2 way light would be a single pole switch, which I showed here

•  7 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife I'm not sure if I understand myself neither, I have two conmutable switch's that turn on one single bulb but I'm not been able to follow the instructions, I did but then the physical switches stopped working 😢

• @lazyliquid
    @lazyliquid 16 วันที่ผ่านมา

Great video! Could you do one explaining how to wire up this relay in a 2-way switch system? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 Aqara says it’s possible but won’t provide a diagram!

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  15 วันที่ผ่านมา

I thought that was in this video. :)

• @lazyliquid
      @lazyliquid 15 วันที่ผ่านมา

It is? Sorry! I watched it again and couldn’t figure it out. 😅 Really noob with wiring here.
      I thought the diagram you did was for two lights and two switches. How would that work for a single light connected to a set of two-way switches? One switch upstairs and one downstairs. Looking to install the relay next to the downstairs switch.

• @dragosalexa-anghelus6745
    @dragosalexa-anghelus6745 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi, I'm not an electrician and I wanted to ask you if I would like to use the aqara t2 for a switch with 3 "claps", two of them to manage two different lights. Each with its own light, left to left and right to right, and the middle "click" to access an automation in this aqara application .

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Sure! I'm confused when you say claps, but you can have any third button or switch be the control for an automation with Aqara. The t2 likely wouldn't be wired in to that 3rd switch or button. Maybe just get a button from aqara?

• @jaro4568
    @jaro4568 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Can this relay be switch on/off with an aqara temperature sensor via the hub? Let's if below 15C switch on, if over 20C switch off.

• @guitar2871
    @guitar2871 16 วันที่ผ่านมา

First of all thanks for this video . I am not sure if you mention this at any point or i missed it , but as I am aiming to install these modules behind many of my traditional switches which are traditionally dimmable , does this offer dimming ? If not , can a workaround happen somehow to dim the lights from my phone? Neither am I an electrician nor do I know much about circuits I'm just gonna tell this to my electrician if you could help !

• @AutomateYourLife

Without knowing your system, I'd have a hard time helping much. I think ask your electrician but it SOUNDS like you're going to be fine. The relay will power on the circuit and then the dimmer will deal with the rest.

• @AutomateYourLife

The T2 does not do dimming on its own though. That's not possible. It's an on/off device only

• @Eviltek2099
    @Eviltek2099 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Do you know of any comparable Z-Wave relays? Or something that's Z-Wave that can control a portable 110 v Heater?

• @AutomateYourLife

Depending on the type of heater (and be very careful with that…things explode), you could look at the zen51 from Zooz

• @dadsalleb
    @dadsalleb 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

can I install the relay near the garage door switch? I was wondering if it can control two garage doors.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  7 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Good question. You can, but think about powering the relay!
      Your diagram would be a bit different obviously, as you'd have the extra wiring happening at the switch.

• @nmquetzalcoatl6103
    @nmquetzalcoatl6103 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

You said this needs a agara hub, just curious if a homey hub could serve as the hum?

• @AutomateYourLife

Can’t tell ya yet, probably though

• @konras_sk4547
    @konras_sk4547 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hello, is there any way how to connect 3 physical switches for one light (as one switch is by doors and 2 others by beds) with relay module (one or more) so i still can use those switches so as using app to turn lights on and off, thanks

• @AutomateYourLife

You'd need to talk to an electrician. It would depend on how you want to control them (and ratings). But I would suggest you just get 2 relays and then you absolutely will!

• @TdotRob
    @TdotRob 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Great tutorial, Brian. Thanks! I have been looking at these for switches and misunderstood how the wall switch and relay interact. Now that you demoed it, especially the comment and visual that the wall switch emulates a 3-way setup, it makes sense to me.
    I have a question now about "wireless switch" mode, which I think you may have misunderstood since you showed it as functionally equivalent to disabling the switch entirely.
    Here's my alternate theory and maybe if I'm right you will do another video showing it. I suspect that in either mode, the relay exposes the load to the home automation system which we might label as "porch light" or some such. But it seems to me that enabling wireless switch would expose the switch as a distinct device, separate from the load.
    So, for example, now we have "porch light" and "porch light switch" exposed in the hub as separately controllable devices. If true, the obvious next step is to define an automation to connect them such that hitting the switch operates the light, or possibly operates both S1 and S2 loads from a single switch.
    If I'm correct, the switch in wireless mode functions as it did when dumb - up is on, down is off. This may be more intuitive (i.e. higher spouse approval factor) than acting like a 3-way in a use case where there is no second physical switch. The additional benefit of this is the ability to tie in other loads so we might end up with a load device called "porch light" and a switch device we label "Front outdoor lights" that operates floods, landscape lights, the porch light, and (seasonally) holiday decorations based on defined automations to tie it all together.
    Am I close on this or is this just wishful thinking? Because I really like it and my use case needs S1 & S2, but I'm not going to the trouble of expanding the junction box if wireless switch mode doesn't expose the switch(es) separate from the loads. Would be really cool to dive deeper into the wireless mode in a follow-up. Thanks again!

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  8 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Hey T.Rob! Thanks for watching and the kudos. Sadly for you (and great for me), I don’t think I misunderstood Wireless Switch mode.
      I say that because we had a technical review with the engineers at Aqara before this went out. It was done specifically for that reason…so we had the technicalities right.
      Wireless Switch mode as I understand it is going to be more for those times when you want to eliminate a switch or more often for a sensor you want to connect (garage door example comes to mind).

• @AutomateYourLife

I do think there’s potentially an opportunity to wire in a smart switch to do this same thing, fyi

• @TdotRob

Thanks for the reply, @@AutomateYourLife. I guess I was looking for a use case that makes sense there. If the wall switch is connected to the device and the app is set to Disable Mode, the wall switch might as well not be present. Similarly, setting Wireless Mode also functionally disabled the switch, or at least that's what it looked like in the video. Any sensor would, as I understand it, need to present on/off states because the device senses continuity not voltage. That would mean sensor use cases are same as switch use cases, even the garage door sensor. Coding and testing costs money so nobody codes different modes that have no functional difference. Which means there's still some difference between Disable and Wireless mode I'm just not seeing.
      Unfortunately, their online manual only covers installation and not the different behaviors in the app. It does have a diagram (first one) in which the external switch replaces the jumper and the user is switching between wet and dry mode. This wasn't covered in the video and I don't quite understand the expected behavior. Now I'm wondering if maybe that configuration is where Wireless mode becomes useful?
      End of the day, I might need to set up a test bench similar to yours and just play around with it. I took advantage of Big Deal Day, or whatever Amazon calls this one, to pick up my first Aquara hub and a couple of FP2 devices. Maybe I'll go back and grab one of these too.

• @aantony
      @aantony 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife I'm surpised that is the conclusion you came to after reviewing with the engineers. Wireless switch mode as I understand it just means that the switch or switches that you attach to the control terminals S1 and S2 can just become an independent switch devices uncoupled from the relay operation of L1 and L2. Such a switch can be used to trigger an automation or a scene just like any other independent smart switch or button. And as your experiment demonstrated, the switch operation in this mode no longer affects the L1 and L2 behavior naturally.
      Here's a section from another review that covers this
      th-cam.com/video/ToJHXnb9BR8/w-d-xo.html

• @AutomateYourLife

Yeah OK, so I'm seeing what's being said here now. So you can drive an automation with the S1 or S2 contacts for something else in your home. So it does look like some of what TDotRob is asking for is possible through the automation engine in Aqara's app.
      I think maybe Aqara just felt like this was enough of a guide...and so did I. But that's where these things are different

• @TheLevitatingChin
    @TheLevitatingChin 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi there. I'm struggling to find something that could sense a device has powered on and then at this moment, turn a couple of other devices on. I'd like for the opposite to be true ie. Original device powered off means the couple of other devices turn off. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm lost right now.

• @AutomateYourLife

You'd be able to do that with most relays, I think. It all depends on if you mean the device itself turns off, or if you mean you turn it off through the relay.
      Just about any relay does the latter. Otherwise you likely need a smart plug with energy monitoring

• @shukihaiminis3157
    @shukihaiminis3157 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Do you think this could be used to control Town & Country gas fireplaces?

• @AutomateYourLife

I unfortunately can't tell you about that brand specifically. But most fireplaces should be workable with the dual relay option and some of the settings that let you do pulse, etc..

• @ThorsteinnTB
    @ThorsteinnTB 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

I would really like to see how you use wired contact sensor with the garage opener. Would that be to cut the signal in case of non pulse device?

• @AutomateYourLife

You could also send another pulse to pause the garage movement right?

• @ThorsteinnTB
      @ThorsteinnTB 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife I used to have just one SmartThings multisensor on my garage door but two magnets. With this I made an automation that turned lights green when opening, and red when closing, (xyz status). Unfortunantly SmartThings dont offer automation with xyz status as condition. Do you have any solution for this?

• @TomM-ug3zc
    @TomM-ug3zc 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Great video but I'm left wondering if we should be worried by the number of fires you've seen?

• @AutomateYourLife

🤣🤣🤣
      At my old job, we regularly burned down buildings and equipment. It was spectacular to see, and taught me a lot about electrical gear!
      But yeah, I’d be a little worried 😉

• @TdotRob

I dunno - maybe seeing that many fires adds credibility. I never met a really good shop teacher with all 10 fingers intact. Maybe electrical fires are how you level up in this field. 🙂

• @AutomateYourLife

@TdotRob you made me laugh really hard with that one

• @lorinwyatt9814
    @lorinwyatt9814 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

In my testing, a button off the S1/COM1 only works with 120V AC power and does not work on 24V DC power. My use case had to have a button on 24V DC so hopefully that is something that works in the future.

• @GiuseppeVasapollo
    @GiuseppeVasapollo 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

I've got one question. What does it happens when I have 2 lamps commanded by 2 different deviators each, in 2 separated boxes. Example, in my dining room I have two entrances and there are two lamps. I can command these 2 lamps from each of the accesses. I want to use the Aqara's T2 in order to get command the lights from my phone.
    BTW, good job, thanks for your detailed explanations

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  3 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Hey Giuseppe, I'd love to help you here but the terms you're using are very different to what I'm used to.
      But I think if I'm understanding you correctly, you have two separate switches with two separate runs to lamps. If that's the case, I'd just suggest you get two relays. Maybe just a single relay for each switch instead of a dual 😃
      You'd be coming across with wires if you're using one relay. It's not going to be worth it vs the cost of a second relay

• @GiuseppeVasapollo
      @GiuseppeVasapollo 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

​@@AutomateYourLife Yes, you're right, I meant a "deviator" meaning a switch in 2 different locations that tunrs on/off the same lamp.

• @ausguy4385
    @ausguy4385 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Do these aqara relays remember its state if power goes off and returns. Eg its off at night and goes out and on will they remain off?

• @AutomateYourLife

I believe the setting has three different options on it. That's somewhere later in the video if you want to find it, but it can remember the last date it had when the power went out

• @chrisrosenkreuz23
    @chrisrosenkreuz23 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thorough, tah!

• @Fadirko
    @Fadirko 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

I have a motion detector and would like the Aqara T2 to recognize when the motion detector sends power to S1. Is the voltage too high because I am not coming from the COM port? The output from motion detector is up to 230 Volt.

• @AutomateYourLife

As I think about this, it feels like you have something wired wrong. The Motion Detector can act as a switch, since it's line side voltage. So maybe chat with Aqara support to make sure you've got this wired up right and that it can handle your sensor.
      I believe the COM port and the lower half are exposed to line side voltage, so I don't think it's a problem with voltage.

• @Fadirko
      @Fadirko 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Thank you for your answer. So is full watts and amps coming through the COM port? I had assumed that only little power comes through there

• @AutomateYourLife

@@Fadirko voltage only I think. Amps I believe is based on the device attached. I don't have the diagram for the internals. Hence the chat with Aqara recommendation ;)

• @williamstringer8708
    @williamstringer8708 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

I like the garage door option, but I still don't understand if that is better that the garage door opener app. I would like to geomap so I don't have to push any buttons and it just opens when I am in the vicinity.

• @AutomateYourLife

I think it depends on whether or not you find the Aqara app (or HomeKit) app good at recognizing you're home. It also depends more on if your phone is reporting GPS location back to those services often enough

• @nahco3994
    @nahco3994 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

This thing looks HUGE though! I'm not sure it's gonna fit in my in-wall boxes alongside all the other stuff that needs to go in there...

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  4 หลายเดือนก่อน

This specific relay is big for sure! There are many relays out there :)

• @Smokey_A
    @Smokey_A 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Bond has an actual fan controller that goes in the canopy and can do all of this PLUS control the fan speed. It comes built in to some fans, but you can buy it. Can't remember if it's HD or Lowe's that sell them. And it's not their hub that you see advertised that works like the fan remotes by replicating their RF. I think Inovelli is also coming out with one.
    Bonus in that their shaped to fit in tight ceiling fan housings like regular fan controllers.

• @disneyjoe7
    @disneyjoe7 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Going to add photocell to an input on dual T2 relay can this be done?

• @AutomateYourLife

Check the specs but it's possible to use it just like the switch in this circuit. It'll all depend on the photocell.
      Remember those switch contacts are exposed to whatever's on the line side of the relay....

• @kielhawkins9529
    @kielhawkins9529 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

The wireless switch mode i've found is best used with smart bulbs. You turn on the wireless mode, then plug in a smart bulb and configure the switch to turn the bulb on and off inside your software. Then it behaves just like a physical switch, but doesn't actually cut power to the bulb when you flip it. The smart bulb can then be used in other automations while being powered all the time.
    This is especially true for colored bulbs, dimming smart bulbs and ones that can change the light warmth of the bulb.

• @Teshily
    @Teshily 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hello, I would like to ask, is it possible to use Dual Relay Module T2 with one light using simple switch and second light using 2(3)-way switch ?

• @AutomateYourLife

I don't see a reason why you couldn't! I think everything is fine, but I didn't test it out personally

• @Teshily
      @Teshily 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

I am thinking because in diagram there is com and S1 S2 used from switch and with 2way switch I won’t be able to use it that way

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  3 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

@Teshily the COM is tied to Live in most of our diagrams, and we are mostly showing 2 way switches. You'll have to do a little modification of the diagram but I don't see a problem

• @JOAProductionstv
    @JOAProductionstv 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

I stil have a question sir, so if i get the Aqara switch without neutral. After clicking the switch physical will the switch tell me that light is on or not on the phone? or will this only happen when I have the relay one or with neutral. I hope you get my question

• @AutomateYourLife

I think you're trying to combine this relay with an Aqara smart switch. I don't think you can do that. This relay requires a neutral. The Switch does not. I don't know that you should (or even could) wire this up.

• @JOAProductionstv
      @JOAProductionstv 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife I think my explanations is not correct. I want to know with which aqara product will I get a relay system? So that when someone press the switch my phone will also know that the switch is on?

• @disneyjoe7
    @disneyjoe7 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Well wired it as this input 1 is a garage door input with a garage connect on the floor. This is designed for dc 10vdc to 24vdc but have 120vac (very little current for the input. Wired com to input 1. Input 2 is photocell which is 120vac with 120vac output for a light controller. I wired this to 120vac and used red light control wire to input 2.
    So I know when it’s dark and when door is open.
    MyQ issue since they don’t wish to send me when door is open or closed. Is why I started with a dual T2 relay.

• @lindhe
    @lindhe หลายเดือนก่อน

Does the Aqara T2 support dimming?

• @AmandaJoWilliamsNewkirk
    @AmandaJoWilliamsNewkirk 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

How would this work using a Shelly 2pm plus? It seems very similar to me, but there's no com connection. I'm trying to tie the Shelly into a pull chain fan/light on a single wall switch. I want to keep the light tied into the wall switch via the relay circuit 1, but keep the fan on circuit 2 with the wireless switch only. I get as far as tying the SW1 on the relay to L1 on the wall switch, but without a com connection I can't figure out what to tie to L on the switch. Also, I only have N at the fixture in my house, not the switch. Also will not take the internet's word alone before messing with my home wiring, but a little stuck here.

• @AutomateYourLife

I'm sure the Hook Up has a good video on that relay. I believe Shelly's relays also have wiring diagrams so that you're sure before you do this!

• @AmandaJoWilliamsNewkirk
      @AmandaJoWilliamsNewkirk 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife Thanks! I'd already looked at Rob's Shelly videos and hadn't found one that really got into the 2. But in searching again, The Algorithm was kind and showed me one on the 2.5 from a different TH-camr. Seems solid and lines up with what I learned from other sources. Adding the link here in case anyone else has the same type of question. th-cam.com/video/4WwbgCClpXA/w-d-xo.htmlsi=wQ5vbSmZL4CvUlaK

• @thiclazau
    @thiclazau 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

For 2 pins outlets, be very careful with the last setup and which is neutral and live in your power outlet. You can easily switch the neutral with live just by how you plug in your socket in the outlet. Things can go wrong, especially if you use the com ports.

• @gilfredpaul8957
    @gilfredpaul8957 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Gr8 video , I tried to add this device to my SmartThings hub , but only one relay is working , I think there is no edge driver to add child relay.

• @AutomateYourLife

You’ll see the edge driver update right away. I now have 2

• @gilfredpaul8957
      @gilfredpaul8957 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Good news I can eliminate the e1 hub

• @SmartHomeHASHTAGS
    @SmartHomeHASHTAGS 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

In Australia it would be illegal not to use an electrician for installation. We have this so that a standard and safety is paramount.
    This is unusual in most countries, but we use lethal 240V-10A everywhere.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  8 หลายเดือนก่อน +5

You poor Aussies Michael. Giant spiders AND electricians in your home 😳

• @SmartHomeHASHTAGS
      @SmartHomeHASHTAGS 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

@@AutomateYourLife I prefer to have a house that won't kill me before the snakes, spiders, crocodiles and sharks do.

• @andrewbagnall5430
      @andrewbagnall5430 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Here in the UK all the public are allowed to do is change a switch or socket, any wiring change or change to a circuit has to have a works certificate from the electrician. Here in the UK portable appliances (TV, Kettle, washing machines etc) have a plug with a fuse in it (13A, 10A, 7A, 5A, 3A, 2A, 1A), the plug goes into the wall socket which has a 32A MCB protecting the ring circuit (starts at the breaker goes round to all the sockets and then back to the breaker, the fuse / mcb it there to protect the cable not the appliance. 240v / 110v doesnt matter if you get a fault current running through you then you are in trouble. Now we have fault detection like - earth leakage protection. surge protection, overload protection, arc detectors, these were introduced due to the amount of electrical fires the firebrigade were dealing with here in the UK. It has changed so much since I went to college on the late 80's (1980's that is).

• @a.k.h.1
    @a.k.h.1 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

I have two garage doors. Is it possible to use one T2 for both doors?

• @AutomateYourLife

You absolutely can. That's one of the best things about this relay

• @DasDudel
    @DasDudel 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Seems like I have a problem. My switch life is also the life of an outlet. I don’t have enough wires to connect both seperate. Is it safe to connect life to com? I mean the direct 230V life? Fun fact if I disconnect and connect the load side of the switch without touching it it turns on and of. It’s one of the switches with a light inside. Maybe it’s never 100% off and that’s why it’s not working for me 🤔

• @AutomateYourLife

Noooo I don't think you can do what you're doing here. Live to com isn't good either.
      Maybe check in with Aqara themselves. The device is rated to handle lots but I don't think this is going to work

• @starmoca
    @starmoca หลายเดือนก่อน

Could this pair with a smart bulb In a way that the bulb always have power but the switch in the wall tells the light bulb to turn on or off?

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Relays take away power just like a switch. So no, sorry

• @RB-us6tf
    @RB-us6tf 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

I'm soooo waiting for a smart relay that supports Thread... I would put that module inside the wall behind every switch at my house.

• @AutomateYourLife

I bet we'll get a few this year!

• @MrDob2009
    @MrDob2009 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

At 32:08 the loop is on the wrong side, it should 'close' when you tighten the screw

• @AutomateYourLife

You folks find everything!

• @MrDob2009
      @MrDob2009 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife :)

• @thomasbg21
    @thomasbg21 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

can this be used with hue bulbs? So that they wont keep resetting?

• @AutomateYourLife

You can use a relay with a standard switch absolutely. Keep in mind the relay kills power though, so you’d be taking away your smart features until you turned on the relay and then gave the bulbs a few seconds to reconnect

• @mikef3324
      @mikef3324 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

The short answer is no! Your smart bulbs would lose power and thus become unresponsive to any controls.
      The main purpose of a smart relay is to control a non-smart item.

• @thomasbg21
      @thomasbg21 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

thank you@@mikef3324

• @Xescofp
    @Xescofp 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi Again; after installing 7 Aqara relays, the delay between the physical switches and the lights is killing me. It generates a lot of confusion in my family, so they think the lights do not work correctly. Can we solve this in any way? I was thinking about changing the E1 hub to M2 .... but I think this will not solve anything.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Weird. I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps the loading is causing additional time? If you watch when I do it, there IS a slight delay but I'm surprised to hear anyone's struggling with that delay. So honestly, I don't know what's going on for you

• @Xescofp
      @Xescofp 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLifeI have just a test with Fibaro single switch and zero delays. So I think I am going to migrate to it. Thanks for your comments!!!!!

• @Xescofp
      @Xescofp 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Ho again, finally I got the new brand sonoff R4M and they are faster than aqara. They are also very small.

• @philipperostin
    @philipperostin 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +14

I think you over complicated it. A relay is basically a switch that controls another switch but internally, before anything happens. It has 2 states on the exit, NO or NC normally open or normally closed and these states are operated by the relay receiving or not some electricity. The pulse mode is very specific mainly to garage door openers. The fact this ones controls 2 units as well as AC and DC outputs just make it more versatile, but also more dangerous because of the risks of sending some AC to DC things. Furthermore, it is a huge piece of relay ! Theres no way to hide this inside a box without a lot of risks in the wall as you said. But hey great video, as always.

• @AutomateYourLife

Size matters, eh Philippe? :)

• @philipperostin
      @philipperostin 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Lol 😂

• @AndrewDee
      @AndrewDee 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

What's the problem or sending ac to this module?
      Like this is more safe, if it is a DC really, it may burn when you connect AC but not this one

• @AutomateYourLife

In the case of this relay, I think the biggest risk is that you could be putting in a full AC home connection in and then connecting a sensor that isn’t ready for that. That would be the biggest concern I would have, and that would only happen on the S1/2/com side of things.
      Someone could also conceivably use the jumper cable and hit their load device with the wrong voltage and current as well so you have to watch out for that too

• @andrewbagnall5430
      @andrewbagnall5430 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

So the resistive load of the relay is 2.5KW @ 250v (So in the UK it would be 2.4KW), But the LED, Compact Fluorescent, and Linear Fluorescent tube are only rated to 1A due to these being inductive loads. When trying to work out your Wattage for you country you need to Voltage (for your country) X Current rating of relay = Wattage you can safely use.
      Please please please if you are not sure about this or how it works then do not attempt this. In the electrical game we have a saying “a little bit of electrical knowledge is dangerous” and I have seen this saying proved right time and time again.
      This is the problem with these types of videos, people see this done and think I can do that and end up wiring Lin to the NO contact and when it switches flash bang it is cream crackered. I know @automateyourlife is trying to be helpful but don’t show people how to wire these things up. Let them talk to an electrician. Love the relay idea but the quality of the relay is my biggest gripe. 👍🏻👍🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻😉😉👌🏻👌🏻

• @groundkontrol6615
    @groundkontrol6615 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

What were you doing that you seen 100s of fires ?

• @AutomateYourLife

Electrical engineering in the oil industry. Might as well have been a fire investigator 🤣

• @R1chardH
    @R1chardH 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

I can't help but see you as Otis (Chicago fire) without a moustache now.

• @dadsalleb

If the garage door does not operate by the simple pulse connection, then no way to use this relay to control the door? One of mine works but the other doesn't.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  7 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Yes you can. I tried to explain the pulse connection vs holding the signal on/off. Also try extending the pulse width.

• @dadsalleb

Oh, I didn't know the purpose of it. Thanks!

• @dadsalleb

@@AutomateYourLife Just for your information, I bought T2 and tested it on my garage door (Chamberlain with yellow learning button), Unfortunately, none of the options in the T2 relay works for my case. I'm just thinking of soldering wire from T2 to the wall button.

• @NicksStuff
    @NicksStuff 5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Sadly not compatible with Philips Hue

• @ThomWalbranA1
    @ThomWalbranA1 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

TWO THINGS FROM JUST 14 MINUTES IN, i always use color coded heat shink.
    Secondly at 14 minutes in, WHY does that relay show all [- ] neg above them, except for what you said was ''N'' it has the [+] above it?

• @AutomateYourLife

So I asked Aqara about that. They said their was a specific code requirement in a country that made them do this. Good question and keen eye catching that.
      And yes! Color coded heat shrink is great

• @Alaniz16
    @Alaniz16 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Black is definitely the "live" conductor not the white one 19:59

• @AutomateYourLife

I mixed it up once then…sorry and thanks!

• @AutomateYourLife

I just watched it. I don't know how I said that wrong. Sorry, I've placed a pinned comment and we'll look at reposting the video.

• @ptom711
    @ptom711 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

I’d suggest not using pencils on your diagrams. There isn’t enough contrast between #2 pencil lead and white paper. Black pencil lead or sharpies would make it much easier to see. Great video

• @AutomateYourLife

Yeahhh, but then I'd spend hours getting it right ;)

• @andrewtfluck
      @andrewtfluck 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

​@@AutomateYourLifeerasable pens exist too!

• @davg656
      @davg656 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Consider an Ebony pencil from an art or office supply store.

• @brittanyparker-vaughan2881
    @brittanyparker-vaughan2881 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Alright … I’ll post the dumb question. I can’t get this thing to power on. I’ve tried three different 12v power supply’s and two different relays. Nothing. Never make it to setup. Now what?

• @AutomateYourLife

There are no dumb questions with relays.
      I don't know if there's something off with your 12V power supplies. Sounds like something is off with that. Maybe try making the cable I make at: 18:53 - Power Up a Smart Relay Easily With This.

• @davidchen479
    @davidchen479 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

My man finish the whole video still have no idea how it works😂

• @gerryf7015
    @gerryf7015 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

While you mentioned the caveats a number of time, I dont think this product is for North America (or EU/UK). And definately not for beginners. It is only 10A and all NA circuit breakers are 15/20A. The fail point becomes the relay on a circuit short. Plus this relay module is too beefy to fit in a NA single gang box without impacting switches, outlets and connectors. I don't see a UL or ETL certification. Both Aqara and Sonoff need to rethink their solution for NA and EU. Shelly does it right (UL versions). Love Aqara sensors but as a EE, this is a risky solution. Most electricians probably had a heart attack. Don't burn your house down.

• @AutomateYourLife

Yeah I personally think this relay fits more in the garage or in multi gang outlets personally. It’s footprint is large!

• @gerryf7015
      @gerryf7015 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@AutomateYourLife Brian, just some good practices on wiring - putting wired on clockwise, backplating, etc. a great TH-cam video be Scott at Everyday Home Repairs - th-cam.com/video/CsiK2aqzcqQ/w-d-xo.html (#1 Best Video for DIY Electrical Outlet Basics). Just so you don't give all the electricians heart-attacks!!!

• @ptom711
    @ptom711 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

This relay is not rated to power electric resistance heating. Look at the max amp rating for each leg and your load rating

• @mamlukavlogs6353
    @mamlukavlogs6353 หลายเดือนก่อน

Such a simple topic making confusing 😢 . Why 1 hour video . Man it’s just 10 minute sufficient

• @blu_indi9333
    @blu_indi9333 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Request: closed captions please.

• @ptom711
    @ptom711 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Who uses “cable” to describe a “conductor” or “wire”. These relays have to be installed in a box and are too big for a single gang box per the NEC.

• @AutomateYourLife

Regular people. Almost everyone not an electrician.

• @mikef3324
    @mikef3324 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

I normally like your vids Brian, but this time you have far over complicated this and given wrong unsafe advice. At 19.57 you say you wired black into neutral, which you haven't you've wired it into the second hole which is live as it should be in USA I believe.
    You talk a lot about safety yet get this very wrong!!!!

• @AutomateYourLife

Not excusing the mistake Mike, but gimme a break man.

• @mikef3324
      @mikef3324 8 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

There are lots of technical mistakes in the video which I've not touched on.
      Stick to what your good at bud and leave the electrical work to the experts.
      You should also never disconnect an earth as you suggest by doing away with the now disused wall switch. An earth connection must always be connected to any load (unless the load doesn't have an earth).
      But in the latter it must be a double insulated device and carry the appropriate symbol not just be a cheap Chinese import which doesn't understand the importance of an earth connection.

• @AutomateYourLife

@mikef3324 please point them out Mike

• @AutomateYourLife

Hey Mike, I think you misunderstood what I was saying when I said that you could do away with that switch and that’s where it’s funny that you started this whole thread by saying that I had over complicated this video.
      My intention was not to say that someone should ever do away with a ground . It was to let them know that they had the possibility of not using a switch.
      Please do point out the areas that you think I have made mistakes and hopefully I can correct them in the next version or the next video .
      I’m happy to continue to improve my knowledge in these areas but also, I hope you try to understand how difficult it is to make a video that is for a complete beginner who wants to use a relay in their home

• @turboturd7954
      @turboturd7954 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

Wtf?😂😂😂

• @ptom711
    @ptom711 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Yikes a ton of bad wiring practices in this video.

• @AutomateYourLife
      @AutomateYourLife  7 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

We're always trying to get better with how we do things. Feel free to let me know what you didn't like

• @luq3035
    @luq3035 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

bro. u always do long videos… for simple stuffs.. y.. talk so much..

• @AutomateYourLife

If it's simple for you, the video isn't for you

• @Viralplace
    @Viralplace 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

But it use the Zegbee module? Also the T1? Is better have a switch with WiFi ora Zegbee protocol?

• @turboturd7954

I cant post the link and 8 replys i have wrote auto deleted.

• @AutomateYourLife

It'll show for me eventually :) I'll be able to publish them :)

• @turboturd7954

@@AutomateYourLife yeah i dunno wtf is happening. I spent over an hour yesterday trying to send. Hope u got the messages?

• @turboturd7954

The Magichome globe Only avaliable in e27 but. 2 bad u dont have email.

• @johnlots9406
    @johnlots9406 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Can you control the t2 with the wireless h1 switch?