Gleaner Baldwin T3

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 3 ต.ค. 2022
  • 1954 Gleaner Baldwin T3 combining high moisture soybeans. Number 176 off the assembly line out of over 500 ever built. Like to also congratulate Gleaner and the Baldwin Brothers on this 100th anniversary of combine manufacturing! 1923-2023

ความคิดเห็น • 119

• @dwhallon21
    @dwhallon21 ปีที่แล้ว +24

That gleaner is just beautiful. U see all kinds of restored tractors but very few combines. This is a keeper for sure

• @dwhallon21
      @dwhallon21 ปีที่แล้ว +5

The open operator station reminds me of old ih we had, the gleaner we had a cab on it. Wish I could find model that was a good combine

• @corydriver7634
    @corydriver7634 ปีที่แล้ว +41

I think it’s so fascinating to watch these old machines work more so than the modern one’s. We can build anything today with computers and robots-these machines were designed/built in America using pencil, paper and man power-and they’re still here today. Not to mention the operator can maintain and repair them himself.

• @NiceMuslimLady
      @NiceMuslimLady ปีที่แล้ว +4

It really is interesting to see these throwback machines, isn't it? And the simplicity of it. I see Millennial Farm constantly messing with his equipment because THIS didn't work yesterday, THAT doesn't work today, SOMETHING ELSE isn't working tomorrow...

• @Otis-Spunks
      @Otis-Spunks ปีที่แล้ว +5

There are definitely some obvious diminishing returns when it comes to modern machinery. These old work horses remained simple for the purposes of value and longevity, the same cannot be said about today's options.

• @NiceMuslimLady
      @NiceMuslimLady ปีที่แล้ว +6

@@Otis-Spunks More bells and whistles...simply means MORE that can go wrong!

• @hovanti
    @hovanti 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

It is just great to see this old machine still running. Hats off to whoever restored and maintains this fine old machine.

• @normsweet1710
    @normsweet1710 ปีที่แล้ว +7

Very well done with the Gleaner. It wasn’t till I started reading The Word in Ruth where I seen “glean” in print. Dad and us boys farmed 230 acres w a hodge-podge of different brands of tillage and tractors, but The Old Man had a soft spot for A/C combines cause the neighbor up the road had A/C 60 & 66 pull-type. They did a great job and were practically maintenance free as long as you kept em under cover in winter to keep the thrasher & beater bars from rusting. When they needed replacing, head to the Farm n Fleet where they had em on the shelf next to new apron canvas’s etc. Funny at 19 I couldn’t wait to go get a real job ( driving Semi) …… now a days at 72, I’d give a weeks retirement to see if I could still run that Case DC and 60 combine for a while. Thanks for taking me back to a simpler time ❤️

• @stephenrice4554
      @stephenrice4554 ปีที่แล้ว

Mr Norm , I understand where you're coming from , I'm crocked up and can only do bits and bobs but I'd give my left nut to pilot one of those old combines and tractors for a while . Great memories 👍🎃

• @brettlamont4965
    @brettlamont4965 ปีที่แล้ว +10

Still does the job!! Maybe a few beans on the ground but probably a good sample and easy to work on. I bet 60 years from now, none of the new combines will be able to run as the software and electronics will be obsolete. As long as you can buy fuel and make parts, this one will run.

• @paulkica4129
    @paulkica4129 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

1 sweetheart of a combine!!!

• @doncc6080
    @doncc6080 ปีที่แล้ว +12

Great watching old equipment still getting the harvest in.
    Thanks God bless you

• @shaggydogg630
    @shaggydogg630 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

I remember when “ our “ E open station combine was delivered. What a joyful day. I thought we had arrived!

• @darrowlinn7407
    @darrowlinn7407 ปีที่แล้ว +8

Every farmer needs to see videos like this to see where farming has progressed from and to appreciate the people who were there before us. I had a friend that had a F2 Gleaner, it was a nice combine.

• @rangeraficionado87
    @rangeraficionado87 ปีที่แล้ว +4

It's amazing how little the Gleaner technology changed over the years. My father just got his first M2 Corn/Soybean special a few years ago and the overall design has changed very little from what is shown in this video.

• @petergardner2334
    @petergardner2334 ปีที่แล้ว +15

great RESTORATION YOU MUST BE PLEASED HOW TURNED OUT 😊

• @harlandschuster2703
    @harlandschuster2703 ปีที่แล้ว +18

The first combine I ran was my dad's '68 Gleaner "E". It looked similar to this model, though it had a cab of sorts, and the controls were a little different. Seat looked about the same. It had a 10 foot head, which was about all it could handle in soybeans, and a 45 bushel tank which my dad boosted to 50 bushels by putting a 2x6 board all the way around as a grain tank extension. He also had a 2 row corn head for it, which I also ran. It was simple to work on and actually did a good job keeping most of the grain in the combine and putting a clean sample in the tank.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว +5

The soybeans were so clean I decided to remove the return elevator chain so everything that fell to the bottom of the sieves went to the grain tank. Still had a cleaner sample then are new Deere S760 combine by far.

• @harlandschuster2703
      @harlandschuster2703 ปีที่แล้ว +3

@@MrTGleaner Gleaners were known for a clean sample. The "E" had two separate cleaning fans. If I remember correctly, one gave a shot of air to material coming out of the threshing cylinder, and the other put air up through the cleaning shoe. I don't know how long Gleaner had the two fans, but I believe they were not on models newer than the "E".

• @cowbells52
      @cowbells52 ปีที่แล้ว +2

My k has 2 fans.

• @harlandschuster2703
      @harlandschuster2703 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@cowbells52 I wonder how long Gleaner continued the two fan system. The idea was good, trade off was it added a drive belt, for the second fan, and a few more bearings...don't recall it causing any problems.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@harlandschuster2703 One thing I like about the two fan system the E got over just one in the T is the top small fan blows air right when the grain an straw fall from the conveyer to the straw walker. The Fan keeps straw an grain from being back feeding into the conveyer an plugging.

• @stephenrice4554
    @stephenrice4554 ปีที่แล้ว +8

What a lovely piece of kit , just right for a small holding . Smart as paint 👍🇬🇧 . Just re watched this video and I'm still well impressed at the great restoration, impressive 👍🎃

• @reedsponsler2563
    @reedsponsler2563 ปีที่แล้ว +3

My dad had one like this when I was a kid, gleaners was all he ran. I remember riding on it with him and how the dust and everything blew around.

• @scrotiemcboogerballs1981
    @scrotiemcboogerballs1981 ปีที่แล้ว +7

Wow that looks like new amazing how much has changed over the years those old farmers had it ruff back then and even worse back when they used horses thanks for sharing

• @RJ1999x
      @RJ1999x ปีที่แล้ว +7

They had a much better life then we do today

• @knafjallravenrefur9648
      @knafjallravenrefur9648 ปีที่แล้ว

We still have it rough lol, governments trying fuck us over, people dont appreciate the work we do to keep then fed, machines break down, and so on, lots more to it than new machines male it all easier but yes in comparison they had it rough in different ways than we do today

• @ecleveland1
    @ecleveland1 ปีที่แล้ว +7

The Deluxe model came with an umbrella to keep the sun off the driver.

• @gliderider7077
    @gliderider7077 ปีที่แล้ว +7

That is beautiful

• @asquithmainlines699
    @asquithmainlines699 ปีที่แล้ว +15

It is always heartwarming to see this old legacy equipment restored and in use today. I tip my hat to you sir.🇨🇦

• @rogercansler3709
    @rogercansler3709 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Bought one then drove it home 60 miles. Cut enough fescue seed to pay for it the next two days. Absolutely no frills, operator comfort was adding extra foam rubber into that fold up bench seat. Liked it well enough, that dad bought another runner along with a parts machine the next year. Covered a lot of pastures the next few years. But eventually the parts machine ran outa parts and there was only so many times you can weld/braze stuff up. Sold them both for a slight profit and bought a late model K with heat and air.

• @tfs4499
    @tfs4499 ปีที่แล้ว +5

TOTALLY cool to watch these old machines work!

• @rayrussell6258
    @rayrussell6258 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Gosh, I remember our local farmers had a lot of Gleaners. This was interesting nostalgia.

• @carlmize3921
    @carlmize3921 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I grew up threshing wheat, soybeans, oats and barley with a Model T Gleaner. Couldn't beat it for clean grain. And the ease of resetting it when slug of grain or stone popped open the cylinder hatch. Really enjoyed operating it.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

I was doing high moisture soybeans with some green steams out there. I plugged it only once surprisingly an it was only three handfuls under the feeder cylinder an away I went again! Its just a dream to run! I got a Massey 60sp combine out also an that thing plugged first ten feet in the green stuff! If you remember anything ells about your T please share!!!!!!

• @alexhess4925
    @alexhess4925 ปีที่แล้ว

Sheet metal looks brand new !

• @johnwestman2501
    @johnwestman2501 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Our neighbor had one of them when i was young, got to ride on it, what memory. Kids don't know what their missing out on nowadays. Thanks for the video!

• @larrykluckoutdoors8227
    @larrykluckoutdoors8227 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Great video, great combine

• @justinjdavis79
    @justinjdavis79 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Thanks for sharing!! Beautiful equipment!! Enjoyed it!

• @russellehler6706
    @russellehler6706 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Truly a simpler and probably better time.

• @iamburl2667
    @iamburl2667 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video of all shots of this great machine, thank you for the great share, allis chalmers has never quit in my heart, there still going strong in my memories and heart

• @orsonwells7997
    @orsonwells7997 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The joys of open station combines. Had a JD 45. By the end of the day you were covered in dust so bad you had to shed your clothes outside.

• @MrTGleaner

I found that out the first year I had it. The bean dust got in my eyes an I couldn’t see! lol
      This year it was a 15mph wind from the north an I was going east to west so it blew that dust away no problem. I feel bad for them poor guys back in the day. They struggle with dust out there combining only for it to be windy the next day.

• @orsonwells7997
      @orsonwells7997 ปีที่แล้ว

@@MrTGleaner My Uncle put windows in an old outhouse and used it for a cab on his to keep himself out of the elements.

• @johnalexander8589
    @johnalexander8589 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Luv it great video

• @michaelbulle8804
    @michaelbulle8804 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Our first self propelled combine was a gleaner A11 corn soybean special. Great video. 👍

• @rustyoldmicrofarm4673
    @rustyoldmicrofarm4673 ปีที่แล้ว

That is one heck of a set up you got there! I wish i could find one of those Gleaners around here. Great video, thanks!

• @traderjack6151
    @traderjack6151 ปีที่แล้ว +1

We also had a model E with cab & heater, it was so warm while combining corn

• @huntingandstuff9489
    @huntingandstuff9489 ปีที่แล้ว +6

I never knew there was such a thing as a t3

• @MrTGleaner

It was discontinued after Allis bought out Gleaner in 1952. The T was competition to the Allis All-Crop Harvester. One of many terrible decisions Allis made.

• @banditfarmer1900
    @banditfarmer1900 ปีที่แล้ว

I spent many days on an old Gleaner A that looked a lot like yours, Now I see a lot of the changes they made between the two but they kept the barrel for the gas tank. My last Gleaner was a C11 and it was a beast of a machine ! Your keeping the history alive ! Bandit

• @davidkimmel4216
    @davidkimmel4216 ปีที่แล้ว

Very interesting thank you

• @dwightjensen4023
    @dwightjensen4023 ปีที่แล้ว

It is cool to watch the old combine to run

• @sheilamclaughlin963
    @sheilamclaughlin963 ปีที่แล้ว

Good looking old combine

• @rodneycody8746
    @rodneycody8746 11 หลายเดือนก่อน

Very cool

• @willieponder7840
    @willieponder7840 ปีที่แล้ว +1

I learned on a A A2 great combines

• @bfd1565
    @bfd1565 ปีที่แล้ว +2

That's cool 😎 I want one...

• @gregadams5972
    @gregadams5972 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I run a A cut 320 acres for old man for 2 years I don't think we ever worked on it it had a 14 FT head

• @toddgittins5692
    @toddgittins5692 ปีที่แล้ว

Look how little it is!!!

• @briancoates3882
    @briancoates3882 ปีที่แล้ว +3

MY GREAT UNCLE HAD ONE THAT ACTUALLY HAD A STRAW CHOPPER ON IT. IN THE FALL OF THE YEAR WHERE I LIVE THE LAND IS ALWAYS WET, AND THAT LITTLE COMBINE WOULD GO OVER GROUND THAT YOU COULD BARELY WALK ON.

• @MrTGleaner

The T was a rare machine but to have one with a chopper was supper rare. If you can track that machine down the chopper would at the minimum bring over a thousand dollars.

• @briancoates3882
      @briancoates3882 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@MrTGleaner HE LEFT THE CAN OFF THE EXHAUST ONE WINTER, AND CRACKED A COUPLE OF CYLINDER'S. AFTER THAT THE OLD THING SAT AROUND UNTIL JUNK PRICES WENT UP, AND THE COMBINE DISAPPEARED TO THE SCAP MAN.

• @charliehargrave7458
    @charliehargrave7458 ปีที่แล้ว +2

The E series was another good machine built in the 1960s. She had a 226 cu inch d17, 4 cylinder engine with a 10 or 12 foot header.

• @paisleyprince5280
    @paisleyprince5280 ปีที่แล้ว

I ran dad's C2 for 10 years. Had an aftermarket cab with an aftermarket under dash a/c unit from a junked car. Cut 5 rows of milo for weeks at a time.

• @sflfarmer9131
    @sflfarmer9131 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Awesome video you forget how small equipment used to be

• @randyneirynck5517
    @randyneirynck5517 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Grew up with a E with a cab. Great machine but what a chore to change head's

• @MrTGleaner

I found it remarkably easy to attach this 10ft header back on. Just make sure its on a pallet an you can jack the front up.

• @bradleymcwilliams6348
    @bradleymcwilliams6348 ปีที่แล้ว +2

What I find interesting is that a machine from today still basically resembles a machine from 70+ years ago. Obviously everything is dramatically different, but still the same basic layout. Makes you think the guys back then pretty much got it right.

• @joescheller6680
    @joescheller6680 ปีที่แล้ว

First gleaned I ran in a custom operation was C2 was open station had a great big 16 ft head on it. We loaded them onto straight trucks with the head over the cab and down the road we went tires fit in between the grain sides after hanging the sides on side rail of the truck.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

Your generation sure knew how to make thing work with what you had! How did you get the combines on an off the trucks?

• @hoopoo3721
    @hoopoo3721 ปีที่แล้ว +2

OMG it looks like it was just delivered from the factory.

• @thomvm6751
    @thomvm6751 ปีที่แล้ว

We used this model on the farm I grew up on although ours was beat up.

• @davidbrennan3613
    @davidbrennan3613 ปีที่แล้ว +2

she's a beauty

• @larrylund2682
    @larrylund2682 ปีที่แล้ว

Best grasshopper catcher of the day.

• @michigannative2951
    @michigannative2951 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video thanks for sharing it, that’s really neat to see the machine running so well. Okay here’s my Gleaner story we had the model G with a 6 row head and bean header, the combine obtained a new name while we owned it! We called in the 666 G why? Because we could usually get 6 seconds or 6 rows or 6 hours 😉😂 the snapping roll chain or the table chain and the slip clutches.
    We have the body of a similar model all shot up from target practice, sadly from kids will be kids.
    Stay well friend.

• @OnePieceTractor
    @OnePieceTractor ปีที่แล้ว

Sweet

• @arthurjennings5202
    @arthurjennings5202 ปีที่แล้ว

70 years ago, when I was a kid, that was "BIG" equipment. We used an AC60 two row Allis Chalmers combines, pulled behind a tractor to harvest milo maize. Couldn't afford a "BIG" machine,

• @haroldswick9962
    @haroldswick9962 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Those were excellent little combines for their time.

• @MrTGleaner

Cleaned so well I turned the return elevator off so everything went to the tank. It will outperform a half a million dollar JD S760 in Soybeans no sweat.

• @David-kd5mf
    @David-kd5mf ปีที่แล้ว +5

How much does one of those go for? I don't know where to find a combine suitable for a few acres of wheat

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว +2

You can find little combines like this one in running condition anywhere from Free to a couple thousand.

• @David-kd5mf
      @David-kd5mf ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@MrTGleaner is there a good website to look for listings of old small combines or a paper classifieds? How does one best go about finding these small combines? They mainly in the Midwest ?

• @MrTGleaner

@@David-kd5mf Mainly in the north central part of the country. Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist are a good place to keep a lookout.

• @dmchristner
    @dmchristner ปีที่แล้ว +1

👍👍👍👍👍

• @badlands555
    @badlands555 9 หลายเดือนก่อน

Does that combine have a variable speed drive on it? How many speeds in the transmission and where is the shift lever? Is the lever beside the header control for variable speed? Super nice machine all over.

• @aledo_dj
    @aledo_dj ปีที่แล้ว

Very ergonomic. The seat backrest is the grain tank. HAHA!

• @johnwestman2501
    @johnwestman2501 ปีที่แล้ว +2

where's the autosteer button?

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

Not sure the old 6v would run something like that 😂

• @lfeco
    @lfeco ปีที่แล้ว

I'm surprised he didn't pull the flare box along side and dump on the fly.

• @MrTGleaner

Next year I'll get a auger feed wagon to use as a grain cart 👌

• @scottjaecques7409
    @scottjaecques7409 ปีที่แล้ว +1

The university of Missouri had a T3 I think they were intended to be a test plot machine because the 7 ft let you haul it with head on

• @MrTGleaner

Gleaner made two T combines. One was a T3 an the other was a T2.
      The T3 stood for 3 row soybeans 10ft header and T2 stood for 2 row soybeans 7ft header. Soybeans were planted in 40in rows back then. It was a combine that guys could get rid of their pull-type an upgrade too a self-propelled without getting a larger machine. When Allis bought out Gleaner in 1954 the discontinued the T cause it was competition for the All-Crop harvester.

• @MrTGleaner

You know what happened to that T?

• @scottjaecques7409
      @scottjaecques7409 ปีที่แล้ว

@@MrTGleaner I have no idea what happened to it hell they may still have it somewhere

• @traderjack6151
    @traderjack6151 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I don’t remember our Model E having power steering?

• @MrTGleaner

The E is what replaced this T. The T never has power steering but I think it was optional on the E

• @traderjack6151
      @traderjack6151 ปีที่แล้ว +1

@@MrTGleaner that makes sense thanks it steered fine without it

• @brianhansen826
    @brianhansen826 ปีที่แล้ว

How did you get the galvanized to clean up so good? Is it painted?

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว +3

I had some bad rust under the radiator so I applied some industrial cold-zinc spay made in Minneapolis MN. Its specially made to look new an stick to galvanizing as long as you do a good job at cleaning the oil an grease off before applying. I liked it so much I covered all of the galvanizing with it. Very happy with how it turned out.

• @kolebuscher5733
    @kolebuscher5733 ปีที่แล้ว

At first glance the thumbnail looked like a 3D printed combine lol

• @thismanhasnoname3843
    @thismanhasnoname3843 ปีที่แล้ว

There's a reason new combines have cabs: dust is bad.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

Long as you have a nice Minnesota fall breeze from the other direction you wont even notice the dust with this little machine.

• @jimdawson2549
    @jimdawson2549 ปีที่แล้ว +1

So no “cab beans”just “shoulder beans”?

• @MrTGleaner

Once they start going down the back of your shirt you can push them to the back of the tank with a flick of the arm. Give ya another 100ft 😂

• @CEng-ge6sw
    @CEng-ge6sw ปีที่แล้ว

No wonder that we brought in Health & Safety requirements.

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

Safety back in the day was a little sign next to the driver seat that said “Do not dismount will running!” This combine never had that put on but people already kinda knew not to get off when chains are flying at 1000 rpm lol

• @fredschultz6468
    @fredschultz6468 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Minneapolis Moline could have bought Gleaner in the day, they bought B F Avery instead, that ended well...NOT

• @MrTGleaner
      @MrTGleaner  ปีที่แล้ว

On that fateful day in 1954 ALLIS an FORD representatives were on their way to make a deal to buyout Gleaner Harvester Co. On the way there just an hour out the FORD Reps car tire went flat. As they were changing tires the ALLIS Reps past them an made a quick deal with Gleaner by the time the Ford guys arrived it was too late. If it hadn’t been for that flat tire it would be Gleaner an Ford not Ford an New Holland.

• @Tractorsandnonsense
      @Tractorsandnonsense ปีที่แล้ว

Our family always ran Gleaners, K's, C's, E's, F2 ... All gas
      What was so special about these that Companies they already had combines, wanted to buy Gleaner?

• @stevenyeats3997
    @stevenyeats3997 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Fantastic video 👍