Four hands on the Wheel restored documentary Mark Donohue and Roger Penske campaign the Lola T70

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 14 ส.ค. 2022
  • Mark Neary Donohue Jr. (March 18, 1937 - August 19, 1975), nicknamed "Captain Nice,"[1][2] and later "Dark Monohue,"[2] was an American race car driver and engineer known for his ability to set up his own race car as well as driving it to victories.[3][4][5][6]
    Donohue is probably best known as the driver of the 1500+ bhp "Can-Am Killer" Porsche 917-30 and as the winner of the Indianapolis 500 in 1972. Cars that Donohue raced include: AMC Javelin, AMC Matador, Chevrolet Camaro,
  • ยานยนต์และพาหนะ

ความคิดเห็น • 88

• @johntechwriter
    @johntechwriter 7 หลายเดือนก่อน +14

When I was a kid I remember watching Mark do TV commercials for Sunoco. For some reason he stood out and as I followed racing in the car magazines he became my hero. His death taught me how cruel life could be. All these years later I think of Mark as the American equivalent of Jim Clark. As race drivers were at the very top of their craft. Both were quiet and unassuming, and each had a boyish quality that endeared them to everyone. To me they will always be young.

• @tedshaw4160
    @tedshaw4160 ปีที่แล้ว +11

Had the opportunity to hang out with Mark at a private test session prior to the Bryar ( NH ) Trans-am. We provided fire safety for the mid week track rental. They were doing data collection with a 4 channel TEAC Reel to Real Tape recorder Bungy corded behind the seat of the Camaro. They were also testing the dry ice cooled refueling tower, Mark was always willing to talk to the track workers. Everything was always immaculate. Most prepared team on the grid. We would have done it for free.... and they showed up with beer after the day ended.

• @88SC
    @88SC หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Ron Fournier massaging the front fenders on one of the ‘69 Trans-Am Camaros to make room for the front tires. One of the best fabricators in the biz, branching out later to work on other race team’s cars besides Penske’s.

• @paulboyle6857
    @paulboyle6857 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +3

Penske preparation second to none & Donahue one of the finest drivers America produced.

• @alexdahl4039
    @alexdahl4039 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +5

He raced for my grandfather in the early 60s when my grandfather had his open wheel Porsche

• @rickostman7890
    @rickostman7890 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +3

My Dad was on the crew of a local privately entered Jaguar E-type during the 1969 Daytona 24 Hours. I was the team's 12 year old gofer and wheel polisher. I can recall how beautifully turned out the SUNOCO Lola was. 55 years later, I still feel that way.

• @amaterasu8829
    @amaterasu8829 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +4

I miss my grandfather Roy Gane every day. I hope he knew i took a piece of his passion of making cars go fast with me, and i hope to one day be half the man he was

• @MrWATM
    @MrWATM หลายเดือนก่อน

HOLY SHIT! WOW! THANK YOU!
    I'm an old washed up championship winning driver and Mark Donohue has been my idol for 40 years and this is the most I've ever seen of him.
    I stole his book from the public library in 1984 and that's what made me become a race car driver.
    I've wanted to see something like this my entire life. And to have the tale told by the legendary Chris Economaki!
    Thank you.
    (Side note. I was on a race crew at the Daytona 500 and was just outside the shot when Economaki made his infamous, 'Mexican Speed Wrench' comment. Legendary stuff.

• @sergioleone3583
    @sergioleone3583 4 หลายเดือนก่อน +4

Outstanding. A documentary at the level of quality that Mr. Penske himself appreciated I'd bet. Thanks for posting this treasure!

• @jimrobcoyle
    @jimrobcoyle 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +4

Its good to hear Chris Economaki again

• @claudiodiez55
    @claudiodiez55 ปีที่แล้ว +11

Mark was a legend Such a Cool Guy and Great Driver.

• @donholmes4476
    @donholmes4476 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

My first car race was in 1966 at Riverside Raceway sitting up high on my dad’s shoulders with binoculars watching Donahue in that beautiful Lola CanAm car in the USRRC.🏁
    Roger Penske is the best business man in the entire world because he is a people’s person first!🏆

• @gray7863
    @gray7863 ปีที่แล้ว +8

In 1973 I was driving my GT 500 into the infield parking next to the pits at Riverside Raceway for the Can Am and IROC races and just as I was pulling into my spot I looked to my right and there was Mark Donohue...I then proceeded to bump the chain link fence with the front end of the Shelby, that was my forever recollection of seeing the great Mark Donohue up close.
    One of the best movies on Penske and Donohue and why they were so successful together .Thanks for posting !

• @roland2879
    @roland2879 ปีที่แล้ว +6

Thanks for this video. Seen from France, the Penske-Donohue duo began to be known in 1971. Means were not the same as today, we had to wait for the monthly magazines to find out what happened at Daytona and Sebring. We knew that the Sunoco Ferrari 512M was giving Porsche a hard time, but nothing more. The 24 Hours of Le Mans that year remained etched in people's minds, but unfortunately the US team did not have the hoped-for success.
    Watching this video again brings back many memories of my youth. The disappearance of Mark Donohue in the mountains of Styria was heartbreaking, but I had the pleasure of attending the same place and for my 1st F1 GP, the victory of a Penske in 1976 (John Watson in front of Jacques Laffitte with an amazing Ligier Matra).
    What a long way Mr Penske has traveled since his Porsche RS 550 and the current 963. This character will never cease to amaze me.

• @TheCptTrenchfoot
      @TheCptTrenchfoot ปีที่แล้ว

Disappearance in Styria? What are you referring to?

• @stratoTVmusic
      @stratoTVmusic ปีที่แล้ว

Donahue died from injuries resulting from an accident at the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix, held on the Österreichring located in the state of Styria in southeastern Austria.

• @TheCptTrenchfoot
      @TheCptTrenchfoot ปีที่แล้ว

@@stratoTVmusic Yeah, he sure didn't disappear though.

• @kurtfoulke5130
    @kurtfoulke5130 20 วันที่ผ่านมา

Economaki & Yates give this film an unfair advantage !
    A fascinating history in motorsports.
    Mark and The Captain are two of America's finest examples of the E=R formula.

• @DrVaticinator
    @DrVaticinator หลายเดือนก่อน +1

I met Mark after he won Mid-Ohio in the awesome 917/30. He was very nice to a nervous kid. He asked his mother to get me a
    Penske sticker. One of my favorite memories.

• @tsf5-productions
    @tsf5-productions 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

No doubt to very long time hard core racing fans...the Penske/Donahue combination had several great years in the field of sport car and Indy car racing! I saw Mark at Indianapolis from 1969 to 1972. He was in the '71 and '72 "500" my favorite to win, which he achieved in 1972. What extreme talent Mark had yet tragically ended in 1975 in an F-1 practice for a race.
    As for dynamic management of Roger Penske... there's not doubt at all: He been the overall "King" in Indy Car racing for decades! No one in the history of that kind of series racing will be as successful, I think. Penske has done so much in his years of the sport that makes him "The King". What a record and so disciplined in keeping his organization accountable!
    This was a very good documentary of auto racing legends.

• @pecosbill1483
    @pecosbill1483 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Thank you! 2023, and Roger has a full race schedule, amazing.

• @jehl1963
      @jehl1963 ปีที่แล้ว

Yes, and it's cool to see that his relationship with Porsche went all the way back the Huschke von Hanstein days!

• @jjsbluz6081
    @jjsbluz6081 ปีที่แล้ว +9

We hosted Mark at Engineers Week dinner at Drexel 1973 right before his untimely passing. He seems to highlight superb, engineering planning over his own brilliant driving. Real Engineers at Lehigh, Brown, and Drexel! We brought the Engineers Week crown to Widener a few short years later, thanks in no small part to Roger's and Mark's inspiration and dynamic all-in approach to "only the Winner Wins" on Monday! God bless and Cheers! 🇱🇷🙏😺

• @kimwarfield1587
    @kimwarfield1587 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Fantastic film. I heard of Mark, but he died before I really got into Indy Car and racing. This is the only way I get to watch him race.

• @JackBootThugPigs
    @JackBootThugPigs หลายเดือนก่อน

Mark was my hero as a little kid, we went every year to Mid-Ohio for the Can-Am as the jewel in our summer vacation. From the Lola to the magnificent monster 917/10 KLM. An era of beautiful Can-Am cars, and drivers of extreme talent.

• @Faustoverdenova
    @Faustoverdenova ปีที่แล้ว +3

The conversation between Donohue, Penske and the mechanic in the garage at Sebring, and Mark says, "i don't think the Aluminum will live." .. That little remark says so much about racing at that time. And waiting till the end the credits revealed why this Documentary was so well written and produced for the time, Brock Yates wrote it. that's why.

• @johntechwriter
      @johntechwriter 7 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

In Car & Driver’s golden years I went to Yates’s column as soon as the issue landed in the mailbox. He was a good writer - you had to be to work for David E. Davis - he had great car sense, and beyond that he was totally outrageous. Only Yates could have dreamed up the Cannonball.

• @hiitsstillme
      @hiitsstillme 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@johntechwriter He was pretty controversial and didn't pull punches... "The Assassin".

• @franciscrisp6245
      @franciscrisp6245 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Ah yes, Brock Yates…another great one.

• @mpetra4537
    @mpetra4537 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Awesome vid.......I am born and raised in Summit, NJ also.....Mark was a new generation of driver.....way ahead of his time.

• @bloqk16
      @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว

I have the same book. Bought it when it first came out.
      My favorite chapter in the book was with the trials and tribulations Mark and the Penske team had with the Ferrari 512M. Mark pulled no punches in that chapter.
      People I'm acquainted with that are Ferrari fans, and for years were puzzled why the 512 had such a dismal record in endurance racing, I quote the chapter from 'The Unfair Advantage.' Whereupon afterwards, they are nearly stunned about the weaknesses of the 512.

• @dsmadad5748
    @dsmadad5748 ปีที่แล้ว +9

Fantastic documentary about the early days of two of the most influential people in American motorsports, GREAT interview footage of both Roger and Mark who were notoriously tight-lipped. Thanks for posting!

• @sparky427
      @sparky427  ปีที่แล้ว +1

Much appreciated!

• @philking6444
    @philking6444 ปีที่แล้ว +1

What a pair. These were the best prepared cars and crews that ever went racing. Mark Donahue was a master engineer and put his knowledge to great use behind the wheel. Roger Penske is the only person that could take over not only the IRL but IMS. The series is in good hands and I expect it to flourish in his hands.

• @hiitsstillme
    @hiitsstillme 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

This film is nothing short of fantastic to us. What a great insight in to one of the most legendary teams in automobile racing, ever.
    Thanks for posting!

• @explodingrabbit51
    @explodingrabbit51 ปีที่แล้ว +8

Not sure what's been competing you to start uploading footage again, but God bless you man!

• @sparky427
      @sparky427  ปีที่แล้ว

Thanks, you too!

• @alandrobnak
    @alandrobnak 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Happy Birthday today Captain.

• @shakeymark4969
    @shakeymark4969 3 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

That's got to be Chris Economaki narrating right?
    Well I just finished and saw the credits and yup, it's him. A hard voice from my younger days that's hard to mistake.

• @shimshonbendan8730
    @shimshonbendan8730 ปีที่แล้ว +7

This is so awesome. Thank you so much for sharing it. I remember this airing back in the 60s and have always wondered what happened to this great film.

• @brooksobrien5290
    @brooksobrien5290 ปีที่แล้ว +4

Great film written by the great Brock Yates!

• @robossuperchannel9434
      @robossuperchannel9434 ปีที่แล้ว +2

And narrated by the great (?) Chris Economaki.

• @sergioleone3583
      @sergioleone3583 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@robossuperchannel9434 Yes, great.

• @rockeroller
    @rockeroller 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Can-am the sexiest racecars, ever produced.

• @bloqk16
    @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว +1

*WOW!!*
    *THIS IS FABULOUS!!*
    I'm a *BIG* fan of Mark Donohue and the Penske race team.
    I so vividly recall seeing this film on Channel 36 in 1970 when I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    For years I'd do an occasional google search for this film on TH-cam, with no luck; that is, until it showed up just now on the recommended list.
    It's been years since I've last communicated with Mark's son, David, but I got to alert him about this in case he was not aware of this.

• @markdonohue1262
    @markdonohue1262 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

It’s so funny to see how things have and haven’t changed, growing up with my dad on the track it’s almost as if Roger taught my dad just like he taught my grandad to be on and off the track. Incredible documentary!

• @patlatorres7000
    @patlatorres7000 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Note the pin stripes on the nose of the Camaro as it pits at about the six minute mark. While the Penske cars were ALWAYS well prepared, they also ALWAYS showed that extra touch of class!

• @375GTB
    @375GTB ปีที่แล้ว +3

Note that Mecom Ferrari 250LM drive at Sebring, 1965
    The year of Le Deluge
    95F and 98% humidity
    The closed LM's and GT40s had na "unfair advantage" over the open roadsters.
    I was there.... wishing we had a CANOE!
    J.C.

• @bloqk16
      @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว

You were a witness to history with the Chaparral 2 racing there. Remarkable how Jim Hall's cars held up on the Sebring circuit. The film highlights of the 1965 race was televised many times in the years afterwards in the San Francisco TV market.

• @jehl1963
    @jehl1963 ปีที่แล้ว +2

At 35:58, I chuckled by how flimsy the body panel is that the technician is working on. You can tell that the sheet metal was reduced to the minimum required to hold its form in order to get the car as light as possible. An example of the "unfair advantage"!

• @hiitsstillme
      @hiitsstillme 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

We assume he was sectioning it to bring the nose profile lower... anything went as long as you didn't get caught.

• @chhindz
    @chhindz ปีที่แล้ว +1

I predicted Mark winning indy, far from predicted favorite. I was ordering Norton pickup in London at time. teenager.

• @marklangren3142
    @marklangren3142 ปีที่แล้ว

In 1966 they ran a pair of Lola t70's for Donahue and followers, got to see them at Road America, roll back and an open trailer

• @gabrielematta7518
    @gabrielematta7518 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Absolutely amazing remind me lot of things

• @juliedy1574
    @juliedy1574 ปีที่แล้ว +1

At 22.20 that's a young Al Holbert on the pit crew.

• @henrymorgan3982
    @henrymorgan3982 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Legends.

• @bloqk16
    @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว +1

In that 1969 race season for the Penske team, it seems fate played well for the team with winning the Trans Am championship that season, at the expense of the Lola T70 coupe being stolen and stripped; depriving Penske at a shot at Le Mans.
    Had the Penske team entered the car for the 1969 Le Mans 24 Hours race, it could have diverted the team's resources when it came to handling the Camaro effort for the Trans Am. Given how close that battle was with Penske versus the Bud Moore Mustangs in that 1969 Trans Am season; the Penske team could have come up short in that race series.

• @michaelsaia7413
    @michaelsaia7413 ปีที่แล้ว +5

Great video, it that Chris Eckonomaki narrating?

• @XA351GT
      @XA351GT ปีที่แล้ว +2

sounds like him to me.

• @bloqk16
      @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว +2

Yep! The one and only Chris Economaki.

• @tadroid3858
      @tadroid3858 ปีที่แล้ว

The Voice of Racing for me growing up!

• @andyhamilton8940
    @andyhamilton8940 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Must be one of Rogers boys at the Sebring test?

• @barrycuda3769
    @barrycuda3769 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

I wonder which of Rogers sons the young boy is in this , Gregory I assume. Great documentary.

• @pigfloydbbq
    @pigfloydbbq ปีที่แล้ว +1

GOAT

• @gregbennett4254
    @gregbennett4254 ปีที่แล้ว

A great film 1969 Camaro was the best

• @tangerinedream7211
    @tangerinedream7211 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Classic story, the acid dipped Camaro and it's vynil roof.😉

• @allareasindex7984
    @allareasindex7984 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Written by Brock Yates!

• @fredfuller2281
    @fredfuller2281 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

red luna rover golden mine😊

• @craigyirush3492
    @craigyirush3492 ปีที่แล้ว

This is great. Wonder who made it and why?

• @bloqk16
      @bloqk16 ปีที่แล้ว +5

This was produced by Triangle Films, where one of their specialties was with filming auto races.
      These films were produced for airing on local [US] TV stations and shown at car shows.
      Back in the 1960s, into the '70s, most US households got TV reception from local affiliates of ABC, NBC, and CBS; along with a couple of independent stations.
      There were few syndicated shows for the stations to air locally, and they were in need to fill the broadcast days and evenings. Cable networks were still years away from becoming reality.
      On occasion, local TV stations would televise a motorsport racing film to fill the broadcast day. As back then, live broadcasts of auto races was unheard of; although auto racing series, such as the Can Am series , were popular.
      Channel 5 in San Francisco would televise half-hour highlight films of auto races on Sunday afternoons that didn't have pro-football TV games.
      This particular film, I vividly recall, was televised in the evening hours on Channel 36 in San Jose, California, in 1970.

• @craigyirush3492
      @craigyirush3492 ปีที่แล้ว +2

@@bloqk16 thanks; fascinating!

• @badgumby9544
    @badgumby9544 ปีที่แล้ว

I don't like "favorite" drivers. I am my own favorite driver. But, the only other person I would think of that way would be Mark.

• @cinellixa
    @cinellixa ปีที่แล้ว

Thats gotta be zora duntov with penske when they were testing the lola.

• @ianmangham4570
    @ianmangham4570 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

Penske

• @michaelbragg6903
    @michaelbragg6903 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Wonder if the car and transporter was ever recovered.

• @MrNoneofthisisreal
      @MrNoneofthisisreal ปีที่แล้ว

Read the "Unfair Advantage' book by Donohue. He chased the bastards down. And caught them! Very sad to read his description of the vandalism/theft. Mark was a detective, too! R

• @shanefanon
    @shanefanon 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

After all this time I am still questioning why Mark chose suicide .

• @gimmifreds4080
    @gimmifreds4080 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

Mark very well read Man brown Man advanced degree big money family I bet old money why's it during 1970s ball player were uneducated and Mark doneoue Brown advanced degree in engineering true sports of kings the weath of road racing world class people of the comom weath family

• @davidlafranchise4782
    @davidlafranchise4782 ปีที่แล้ว

Did they ever find the stolen Lola and parts??

• @marklangren3142
    @marklangren3142 ปีที่แล้ว

Fred Bakers 911

• @Remo860
    @Remo860 4 หลายเดือนก่อน

Penske was 32 but he looks like 50.

• @garneauweld1100
    @garneauweld1100 ปีที่แล้ว

Let the mechanics work on the car and you go walk the track. HaHa... - Personally, I would inspect all work before going out as a driver if time allows.

• @Formaldehydex
    @Formaldehydex ปีที่แล้ว

Acid-dipped cheater Camaro. They should be so proud...

• @michaelmcgilligan
      @michaelmcgilligan 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

they were all acid dipping

• @Formaldehydex
      @Formaldehydex 8 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@michaelmcgilligan Yeah. That’s why only Penske and Smokey Yunick were the only infamous ones. Facts simply don’t matter to socially promoted Amerikans.