3.4L Toyota HIGH IDLE FIX! (5VZ-FE Tacoma, 4Runner, T100)

แชร์
ฝัง
  • เผยแพร่เมื่อ 13 ต.ค. 2022
  • Today we fix the very high idle in our 1996 Toyota 4Runner. One these it is very common to find a clogged up and dirty IAC Idle Air Control Valve on the throttle body of the 3.4 5VZ-FE. Problem occurs in all Tacoma, 4Runners, T100s, and Tundras with the 3.4L engine, and process to repair is essentially the same.
    Support Dirt Garage by purchasing our Merch! - www.dirtgarage.ca
    Brought to you by @ Alpine Toyota - alpinetoyota.com
    INSTAGRAM - / dirt_garage
    Get 10% OFF Afraid Knot Ropes with my discount code "dirtgarage"
    www.afraidknotropes.ca/
    My 2020 OFFROAD Gear Kit / Recommendations: USA Affiliate Links
    Lunchbox Locker: amzn.to/34lDTfI
    Smittybilt Compressor: amzn.to/2vhwEqm
    Tire Deflator Tool: amzn.to/2SwmbPO
    Smittybilt Winch: amzn.to/2HbKP2Y
    Recovery Rope: amzn.to/39om3Ze
    Soft Shackle: amzn.to/3bnRg0t
    Hard Shackle: amzn.to/39ouyDA
    Recovery Hitch: hamzn.to/2SeE6LN
    CANADIAN Amazon Affiliate Links:
    Smittybilt Compressor: amzn.to/35DcvY3
    Tire Deflator Tool: amzn.to/2QBWPQA
    Smittybilt Winch: amzn.to/35CBOJO
    Recovery Rope: amzn.to/2s9qRlj
    Soft Shackle: amzn.to/2R4j5Bx
    Hard Shackle: amzn.to/39QXpl3
    Recovery Hitch: amzn.to/306WyIL
    Music Licensed @ Artlist
    Find music for your videos on Artlist! artlist.io/Clinton-279876
    My 1989 Toyota Pickup Build: • My DREAM Toyota Build!...
    - 1UZ-FE V8 Swap
    - Manual Swap
    - Dual Transfer Cases 2.23 x 4.7
    - Solid Axle Swap / SAS
    - Lunchbox Rear, E-Locker Front
    - OME Rear Springs & Tundra shackles
    - Auxbeam Headlights: shrsl.com/38hjx
    - 37x12.5r17 Toyo MT Tires
    Camera Gear Used To Make This Video:
    - Camera: amzn.to/36C4dkI
    - Microphone: amzn.to/2QDkIaB
    - Tripod: amzn.to/2sdCkR0
    - Gimble: amzn.to/2FyndVf
    Business contact: Dirt.Garage@outlook.com
  • ยานยนต์และพาหนะ

ความคิดเห็น • 85

• @megh9806
    @megh9806 ปีที่แล้ว +18

Those screws are JIS, not Phillips, and that’s why they are dangerously prone to rounding out. Use a hammer on a Phillips screw driver or an impact driver (one that you actually whack with a hammer as you turn)

• @matthewtrotter4035
      @matthewtrotter4035 ปีที่แล้ว +1

My buddy showed me the hammer trick years ago. Messing with old dirt bikes it was a life saver.

• @98erics
      @98erics ปีที่แล้ว +2

I bought a JIS screwdriver a few months ago and it really is amazing how much easier it makes those little screws. They're still tight af but it does help.

• @manfredolson6889
    @manfredolson6889 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +3

And what do you do if that doesn’t work?? I replaced mine and idle is still high…

• @tinytattoomike7943
    @tinytattoomike7943 ปีที่แล้ว

Excellent video man I’m about to tackle this on my T100
    It wasn’t the slop in the throttle shaft because mine has none so this is the video I needed 👏

• @davidcorralesfonseca5826
    @davidcorralesfonseca5826 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Fantastic, thank you very much for your time and kindness to explained how to fix this. I do appreciate it. Cheers from Costa Rica, ALberto

• @TheCarlosCordova
    @TheCarlosCordova ปีที่แล้ว +5

My problem is that it starts high and eventually goes down after the engine is at operating temp. This can take 5 minutes and yes I did remove the IAC and cleaned it

• @m0rdecai_047
      @m0rdecai_047 11 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

I had the same issue, cleaned the throttle body and throttle valve plate itself with throttle plate cleaner and a shop towel. It fixed the issue and now only takes a minute to go down to idle rpm.

• @wahiawabound808
    @wahiawabound808 5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

I did that with my 96 tacoma and your right the screws for the idle air control was a pain and 2 out of 4 got stripped I even had to extract one of them so as I finally got them all out I took the screws to ace hardware match it with some Allan screws and it worked out perfectly fine the next time it won't be hard at all.

• @varmint223
    @varmint223 ปีที่แล้ว +3

After replacing the IAC mine idles at 1100

• @912ruckus2
    @912ruckus2 ปีที่แล้ว

great video, gotta do mine this week

• @samran4654
    @samran4654 ปีที่แล้ว

Love you Bro...Best of luck.

• @jmandonutsm4847
    @jmandonutsm4847 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Really great video thanks

• @jsvallee567
    @jsvallee567 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

just did that same job on my 01 tacoma and 3 out of the 4 crew striped doing it so i replace them with 8MM bolt problem solve for the next clean up !

• @cristobalvillalpando7451
    @cristobalvillalpando7451 ปีที่แล้ว

Great video great help thank you

• @2028end
    @2028end 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

When I cleaned my IAC valve, afterward is when I had the 2000 rpm idle on startup (park) and neutral. After warmup it goes down to 1500 in park and neutral, and 1000 rpm in drive. What can I do? Been driving it a week and nothing is changing? Is there a way to pull the ECU fuse or something ECM fuse? To reset it? It obvious is retaining the old information when the valve was dirty and sticking, and now that it's free, moves easily, it's open to far and getting too much air.

• @frankmabuku2076
    @frankmabuku2076 8 วันที่ผ่านมา

Thanks very much. My vehicle 🚜 was in a mess and got 800 also 🎉😊😊😊😊😊 from Zambia . Enjoy my surf. Low consumption.

• @Deveak
    @Deveak 10 หลายเดือนก่อน

Could you put one in a sonic cleaner or does it have fine gaskets that could be damaged?

• @julioserna5659
    @julioserna5659 10 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Hi, and thanks from.the caribbean, could it also fix when the rpm is like stall and doesn't go past 2000 rpm, thanks again !

• @alexandermorrison2299
    @alexandermorrison2299 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Very well done...

• @jameshall4385
    @jameshall4385 ปีที่แล้ว +2

You should get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner. You can pick them up cheap at harbor freight or in Canada princess auto. Or off slamazon dirt cheap

• @evanburgeson
    @evanburgeson ปีที่แล้ว +1

Just finished replacing my timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, power steering pump and lines and some other odds and ends on my 97 runner and when I fired it up i was idling at like 1800RPM. After triple checking my timing marks were all still aligned (they are) I found this video and after blasting a bunch of gunk out of my throttle body and idle air controller now it purrs along at 800RPM again. Thanks for the video this saved me some serious headache! -Cheers

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  ปีที่แล้ว

Glad I could help!

• @2028end
      @2028end 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@DirtGarage Unfortunately, after cleaning my throttle body and IAC valve is when i got the hight idle 2000 rpm. Been driving 98 4 runner for a week now and nothing is changing. Tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing changed. Can I pull the ECM fuse? ECU fuse or something to reset the IAC?

• @Phillmo8
    @Phillmo8 9 หลายเดือนก่อน +2

Still didn’t fix the problem anyone else have an idea besides throttle position sensor or clutch spring I can’t figure it out

• @meangreen3038
    @meangreen3038 5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Let me just say bud the way you opened was great also great vid all around👍

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  5 หลายเดือนก่อน

Glad you enjoyed

• @k-art-L
    @k-art-L ปีที่แล้ว

What about motor rattling, is anything related with the ICV? Or any posible misfiring? It just started Last night not sure if for the cold weather, but it happen while driving started to rattle and shaking if you reach the 45mph is when you can feel it

• @lestervelez163
    @lestervelez163 14 วันที่ผ่านมา

Thanks You From Panamá 🇵🇦 City Thanks For help me

• @jemallybrookes
    @jemallybrookes 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma, is idling high in park and neutral. And when driving and take my foot off of the gas the speedometer needle going up.

• @nulcable
    @nulcable ปีที่แล้ว

Another thing fixed! Next week the 4wd issue? Curious what's wrong with that. Keep up the great work!

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  ปีที่แล้ว

It was the ADD system, I completely defeated the ADD now. So pretty much fulltime hubs locked in front end. Gonna add slight drag to driveline and slightly decrease fuel economy I'm sure. But totally worth it for reliable 4x4 system. Simper the better in my books.

• @nemesis851_
    @nemesis851_ ปีที่แล้ว +2

Surprisingly most (not hand tool) people don’t understand the force pressed down should be equal or more than the turning force.
    Otherwise strippage
    GG on not stripping those small screws 🤙

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  ปีที่แล้ว +2

I came super close to stripping these probably 5 years back when my truck had a 3.4 in it. That's why I ended up putting the throttle body on the ground to get my body weight on the screw driver when turning. Not gonna play those games!

• @Glocktard
    @Glocktard 5 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

May 2001 Tacoma 3.4L had weird acceleration issue (sleight students/hesitation) when cold, I sprayed Amsoil power foam in the AIC and soaked it every other day for 4 days & then drove it. after that it fixed its self.

• @skatertrash4205
    @skatertrash4205 ปีที่แล้ว

Cool video buddy

• @justinmas299
    @justinmas299 7 หลายเดือนก่อน

could be a worn throttle body butterfly, especially if you clean the old deposits off with a spray, oddly enough they help keep the idle tame, all from personal experience

• @levizimmerman34
    @levizimmerman34 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Love watching this as I'm mad dash restoring a 01 4 runner 😂

• @JoseLuiz-nz2nz
    @JoseLuiz-nz2nz ปีที่แล้ว

What about low ldle issues, should l do the same thing,by away l love this video demonstration 2 thumbs up

• @stellamatutina3573
      @stellamatutina3573 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hi, did it turn out to be the IAC..?

• @jordanlynch8185
    @jordanlynch8185 ปีที่แล้ว +3

Sea-foam.
    Pour sea foam in the iacv tube then turn on.
    Had to resort to this cheap fix when I couldn't get the JIS screws.
    Cleared my code! Idles smooth as..
    Those screws suck.

• @403outdoors4
    @403outdoors4 ปีที่แล้ว

This isnprobly why mine idles weird on cold start I should check

• @christianvennetti3624
    @christianvennetti3624 ปีที่แล้ว

98 4Runner 3.4
    Will crank with Throttle position sensor unplugged (with a little help from gas pedal) but has a hard time cranking with sensor plugged in. Change the TPS? Very rough idle with this sensor plugged in or not

• @travistucker7317
      @travistucker7317 ปีที่แล้ว

Clean your maf, tps, and iac. Google is there is a tps relearn procedure for 5vz engine. There probably is. Then check back.

• @sYnSilentStorm
    @sYnSilentStorm ปีที่แล้ว +1

Mines only idling high when I first turn it on and it's cold out, once it warms up it idles normal, is this the same cause of the problem?

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  ปีที่แล้ว +2

Nah, that is normal. I would not worry about that

• @petrvales9869
    @petrvales9869 ปีที่แล้ว +1

Love watching this considering I already spent hundreds of dollars to figure out my high idle issue with no success yet LOL being a self mechanic is a hobby for rich ppl.

• @malcolmeatuful
    @malcolmeatuful ปีที่แล้ว

Where can I find the seal for the air control valve? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

• @nemesis851_
    @nemesis851_ ปีที่แล้ว

Oh sheet !!!! It’s Sunday ?!?
    Where did the weekend go ?

• @DirtGarage
      @DirtGarage  ปีที่แล้ว +1

We clearly stick to our schedule very strictly here.

• @ESbro831
    @ESbro831 ปีที่แล้ว +1

What’s the normal idle when cold start?

• @megh9806
      @megh9806 ปีที่แล้ว

Mine is over a grand at cold but eventually idles around 600 when warm

• @DirtGarage

We are currently 1200ish cold, and comes down to 700-800 warm

• @joecoool100
      @joecoool100 ปีที่แล้ว

You can put manual hubs on the 3rd gen. Takes some press work and patience, but it can be done

• @freddyrafaelariasinfante5688
    @freddyrafaelariasinfante5688 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

I have the same problem So I bought a new one but the problem does not go away .... Please help!!!

• @jr567
      @jr567 29 วันที่ผ่านมา

Me too have same issue after changing it

• @jr567
      @jr567 29 วันที่ผ่านมา

Me too i changed it and still same idling at 1200 rpms at park and neutral and in gear 850 -900rppms

• @aaronscott2278
    @aaronscott2278 ปีที่แล้ว +2

I did this and cleaned the whole intake manifold now running nearly 2000 rpms it was find tell I decided to clean my throttle body and intake it really sucks

• @zombieslothcrapped
      @zombieslothcrapped 6 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

Did you ever figure out what caused it? I'm having the exact same issue. Idle was fine before cleaning and now I'm between 1500-2000.

• @aaronscott2278
      @aaronscott2278 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@zombieslothcrapped kinda lol I replaced the toyota 3.4 idle air control valve and noticed before I fixed it the more I drove it the better it got

• @stellamatutina3573

@@zombieslothcrapped I think over time when the carbon builds up in the throttle body and IAC the RPM can also drop and mechanics adjust the idle screw back up to 800 RPM. Then when someone cleans the throttle body and IAC the RPM go back up and you have to adjust the idle screw back down to around 800 RPM.

• @2028end
      @2028end 2 หลายเดือนก่อน +1

@@stellamatutina3573 Does the 1998 4runner have an idle screw? Because this is what I got now too ... after cleaning throttle body and IAC it's now 1500 to 2000 rpm in park or neutral. Ugghh I didn't know there was an idle screw?

• @stellamatutina3573

@2028end Have a look just above to the right side of the accelerator adjustment cable with the two nuts, should be a flat screw in the throttle body, try turning it half turn to the left or until you get it at the right RPM while the car engine is running, warm the engine up first, keep it in the park position and bring the idle down to wear it should sit in park and hopefully when you put it into drive the RPM should come down 👍

• @erebusros7807
    @erebusros7807 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

Any chance you have a slower video of taking all this apart? Hard for my ADHD brain to keep up with that speed

• @RicardoRodriguez-bi7yk
    @RicardoRodriguez-bi7yk ปีที่แล้ว

I cleaned my iac and know it's too low rpm at cold Start haha any suggestion ?

• @megh9806
      @megh9806 ปีที่แล้ว

Vacuum leak from disassembling things?

• @RicardoRodriguez-bi7yk
      @RicardoRodriguez-bi7yk ปีที่แล้ว

@@megh9806 chekked, seems fine, low rpm at cold Start supossed to be for a vacuum leak?

• @megh9806
      @megh9806 ปีที่แล้ว

Depends where the leak is. Could be low or high idle. Make sure all your hoses are on, not cracked and the throttle body bolts are all snug.

• @RexDog
      @RexDog ปีที่แล้ว +3

Try disconnecting the battery for a bit then hook it back up and turn the key to on for a few seconds should zero itself (hopefully)

• @LifeTimeDreams51
    @LifeTimeDreams51 ปีที่แล้ว

🥇

• @KCampen1986
    @KCampen1986 ปีที่แล้ว

Where’s the video on the lights????

• @michaelrueckert8507
    @michaelrueckert8507 3 หลายเดือนก่อน

You have the lid from a brake cleaner can on your dashpot? lol

• @coolghoul9
    @coolghoul9 ปีที่แล้ว

Is 1500 rpm high idle

• @DirtGarage

Yes

• @toyotadude6771
      @toyotadude6771 6 หลายเดือนก่อน

Hell yeah thats high, even when its cold

• @2028end
      @2028end 2 หลายเดือนก่อน

@@toyotadude6771 Shoot, my 98 4runner is idling at 2000 when cold, then comes down to 1500 when warmed up, after I cleaned the IAC valve! Is there an idle set screw on the 98 4runner?

• @15205golfer
    @15205golfer 5 หลายเดือนก่อน

JIS screw driver

• @elultimo102
    @elultimo102 หลายเดือนก่อน

My '63 VW was a lot easier to work on---damned computers !!!